Peanut Butter and Jelly

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TeamUSA, Jul 28, 2002.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is going on? Is the air conditioning off in the building?

For those that didn't attend the match or hear it on television, here is the Peanut Butter and Jelly issue.

Somebody with the Rapids organization came up with the idea for a Peanut Butter and Jelly dance for the jumbo screen during the match for everyone to "jam" along to. Some computer generated image in the shape of a peanut with sunglasses moving side to side with arms too. Just "f"ing sad. When will the poor pandering to the families and kids stop? These are the same people, while paying for tickets, need to consistently be shot in the arm to make some noise for the team. Ohhh and while I'm ranting, get rid of the half time chicken dance garbage too. Must the organization severly prositute itself to make a buck? There has to be a better way.

2. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    i agree with you, does anyone else feel like the anouncer is getting just a bit annoying too, he sounds stupid most of the time.

3. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pretty damn embarrassing.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    hey Raps office, next time when you shoving adds into the forum about a wham bam cook-off come over to this thread, read my lips, and understand that NOBODY likes that bastadr ranting for noise. It is a reason to not come to games. It is dam ridiculous. I hate it. stop it.

5. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah, let's get rid of the kids and families so that we can have everything the way WE want it. Who asked all these other people to come to the games anyway? Who needs 'em? This game is for US and we don't need or want anyone else there!

And when they're all gone and they move our team to another city because nobody shows up, whose fault with that be?

/sarcasm off

6. Tigerstyle

Tigerstyle New Member

Nov 2, 2001
    TEAM USA...don't you have anything better to do?

What, did you run red-lights to get back to your computer to post this topic?

7. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (

No, no...different issue. The kids and families are great, and for better or worse I kind of like the chickend dance.

But the idiot annoncer needs to mostly shut up, and that peanut butter and jelly thing was poorly received by everyone including the families sitting around me. Just stupid.

P.S., I cannot stand that Rapidman (gender nuetral?) thing. He is always standing in front of me during corner kicks and he stuffs a sock in his pants. Sick.

8. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Vapidman

I want to echo sentiments about Vapidman. I think that little ones like him, and that isn't bad, but I wish that he\she? would pay attention to the match, and use his presence at the right times. In the last 10 minutes, when the match is on the line, he doesn't need to be standing on a seat with his back to the field begging everyone to look at him. I couldn't believe it during the Dallas match, when Colorado was struggling to hold on, he was standing up, soliciting cheers for him, so that he would throw them a t-shirt. Valderamma could have done a round off back flip kick for a goal, and no one in my section would have seen it. Well, maybe not El Pibe. Around me, people were saying, do they do this kind of stuff in Europe....... We all know the answer.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I have no problem with the T shirt tossing in itself (we are not Europe and don't have 30K+ rolling in with the mere posting of a fixture on a schedule, so I say extra giveaways, why not if it helps to get/keep people there).

However, PLEASE keep this to HALFTIME. That's plenty of time to get that done, make a few kids happy, and build a little goodwill. All doing it during the match (when all said and done what it should be about) does is block may people's view of the match, tearing down goodwill in the process.

What I'm getting at, is please choose the time for little giveaways, etc. a little more carefully. The match is the main attraction, but poor choice of timing for little giveaways has the opposite effect.

10. iluvsoccer

iluvsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I totally agree. On Saturday, I believe it was a new announcer that was even more annoying than usual.

11. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Bad timing on this as well. With the game on the line and our goal under seige, the Peanut Butter and Jelly dance comes out? And this is our "secret weapon" (according to the PA guy)? Please.

12. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    OK FANS THERE IS 30 SEC LEFT AND WE NEED A GOAL!!!!!! LETS DO THE PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY DANCE!!!!!

13. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    Well, since our secret weapon didn't work, maybe they won't bring it back out again.

I have to admit I tried the dance (my daughter was there), but couldn't get the Atari motion down.

14. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, was I that obvious about posting so quickly? I apologize to Tigerstyle. Then again, any arse that can't see the obvious as to time and date of the post doesn't deserve much in the way of an apology or respect.

The Peanut Butter and Jelly thing still stinks and always will stink.

15. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Actually I got a big kick out of the PB&J thing. Perhaps it was those 10 beers kicking in, but I found it absurdly funny. Honestly I think it's like the Chicken Dance, it's just flat out stupid, but it's so stupid it's pretty humorous.

It might have been better received had it not been associated with a close game and the dire need for a point.

16. The Legend

The Legend New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Colorado, Where Lege
    I thought it was so out there it was hilarious as well.

I'll call it right now: you see PB&J time pop up in other stadiums across the US.

Remember: you saw it here first!

17. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohhhhh Noooooooooo! Not in other stadiums too!

18. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was a peanut?

We brought a couple of non-soccer friends to the game in our eternal quest to produce soccer converts, and one of them leaned over to me and asked, "What is this peanut butter dance thing?" And was that a peanut dancing on the screen? I could have sworn it was a banana---making the whole thing even more absurd. I don't know... sort of sick of the chicken dance, so maybe this is OK for a change.

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Some prediction. I'd bet those "other stadiums" are in LA, Chicago, New York, and DC.

20. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if it does turn up in other stadiums, does that mean that Phil's favorite is Peanut Butter and Jelly? If so what kind of Peanut Butter, creamy or chunky and what flavor of Jelly. strawberry or grape?

Does the crust have to taken off the bread too?

21. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chunky, grape, French bread w/ crust on.

22. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Creamy, strawberry preserves, doesn't matter what bread, I eat the crust first and then dive into the bread unless I'm eating PB&J at a formal dinner.

Man, this Who's Online feature is great. You get to stumble across great threads like this that you wouldn't normally see.

23. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    PB&J at a formal dinner? What else do they serve, baloney sammiches au jús?

24. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *SAMMICHES*?!?!? Oh geez, you did it now. My mouth is watering for Sam Taylor's BBQ!