Jason McAteer Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Slash/ED, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Not only did he play a blinder today, but his getting Keane sent off and possibley costing him his career was hilarious. All through the match Trigger was winding Keane up, he kept breathing down his neck and after one incident they got into a bit of handbags Jayo clearly shouted "*************** off" whole Keane was held back by the ref, then made a gesture like he was writng a book. This went on all match and eventually Keane smashed him in the face in the 92nd minute, exactly what Jayo was after. He got the sending off he deserved, Jason was fine after it and this could lead to a hefty ban and maybe his career. Good on you trigger! Niall Quinn went over and gave Keane loads as he was walking off too, absolutley hilarious and it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

2. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Why would he want him sent off in the 92nd minute? Seems kinda pointless.

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    He wanted to get Keane back to what happend during the summer, the suspension of the sending off and the timeing of it if what he was after.

4. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    While I don't disagree with everything you said, I think it's a little over the top to say his career might be over, or that Jason was seeking revenge for the summer. Then again, I haven't seen it yet.

5. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Aye, I was over exaggerating it, but it may land him a hefty ban is what I meant.

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Keano has lost his marbles.
    He even picked a fight with his own team-mate Phil neville after Phil mis-timed a challenge.
    I reckon the book is big ,big mistake because from now on he wont be able to fart without picking up a booking or a red card .
    He should've waited until after his career was over before writing a book .He will have to face some of these people he insulted out on the pitch someday .

He only acts like a hardman out on the pitch because he knows that someone will step in and break it up .off the pitch he cant even walk into a pub without a minder because there are loads of people lining up to knock him out .

7. Danny Bronco

Danny Bronco New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Newcastle U.K.
    McAteer is a clown.
    Like yerself.

8. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    May I add my name to the chorus of appreciation for our Jayo.
    And, I read in the papers yesterday that Quinner's trek over to Roy as he left the pitch was an ironic gesture, designed to rub it in.
    If that was the case, may I also air my appreciation for Niall's work.
    Keep on winding him up lads, only a matter of time until he resigns again.

9. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    trigger is a muppet!

i was a HUGE roy keane supporter up until his antics in saipan. I don't agree whith what he did or in the manner that he conducted himself but i'm disgusted with the way macateer behaved during the match. jason will never be fit to tie the guy's boots (isn't this the same person who wanted to 'do a keane' during the w.c. 'cause he couldn't get a game?).

i only saw highlights of the incident in the pub but sincerely hope that quinn wasn't rubbing it in - i always thought he was a bigger person than that.

10. Len_Brennan

Len_Brennan New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Ireland
    Trigger Happy

I didn't get involved much in the whole Keano debate before now because (a) it just became a slanging match and (b) most of the sensible posters were making the points I would have anyway. On this latest instalment I'll just add a couple of things.
    McAteer wasn't winding him up all game as has been suggested. Before the 'tangle' incident there had been nothing. Of course McAteer was going to fight to win the ball back once he lost control of it. He was not going to allow himself be outfought for possession. (Every one of us would fight harder if we were up against our perceived rival). McAteer should have been booked for his clumsy challange, but no more than that, Keane himself has committed many such foul challanges in his career. Keane responded with a typical foul-mouthed attack and gesticulations, McAteer stood up to it unflinchingly, and gave him some back. Keane then used a hand sinal to suggest Macca was all mouth. It was only then that Macca responded with his hilarious 'pen & paper' motion. Keane obviously didn't like it and once again decided he was going 'to get him' at that point. There were no further exchanges until Keane elbowed McAteer 20 minutes later and rightly got sent off.
    He has learned nothing, he is full of anger and bitterness, he is a liablity to his team and himself. We are far better off without this destructive influence in our international team.
    McAteer didn't do a whole lot wrong. Mainly he stood up to Keane's on-field hardman persona. He didn't spend the whole game winding Keane up, but he did win the psychological battle. Any man who can lose a mind game against our Trigger deserves to be sent off!

11. Conor74

Conor74 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    SW Ireland
    Re: Trigger Happy

That for me is the crux of the issue. Keane has committed worse fouls and I'm sure more serious tackles around the Premiership went unpunished. The elbow was very silly and he had to go. But being outsmarted by Trigger, especially with all Dunphy's yapping about Keane being some deep thinking noble hero crusading against his demons/the FAI/teammates etc., must be the hardest thing to take.

12. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    There is also the possibility that this was a stunt for publicity.

A red card just as his book is released, how convenient.

13. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    I can't seem to find his eight other books online.

14. bryan o neill

bryan o neill New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    dublin
    Maybe Trigger wants to repay some loyalty to Mick Mc Carthy,and he had a blinder of a game

15. Conor74

Conor74 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    SW Ireland
    This thing is flying round the world of Irish e-mails today so thought I'd share it with the wider world:-

NEVER MIND THAT BOLLIX KEANO... HERE'S JASON MCATEER!

In all the fuss over Roy Keane's latest dive off the deep end, haven't we forgotten someone?

The man who was on the receiving end of Keane's elbow in Saturday's bad-tempered 1-1 draw at Sunderland? The man who, quite brilliantly, responded to He Of The Bulging Vein's on-field jibes by mimicking writing them all down in a book? The man who, in the wake of Keano's sacking from Ireland's World Cup camp, revealed that the departed skipper had taken to gnomic utterances like "fail to prepare; prepare to fail" and "only dead fish go with the flow"?

We're talking about the man who said he'd rather read a Bob The Builder book than Keane's autobiography. The man who then joked that the Irish camp were planning a whip-round to buy one copy of the tome "so we don't make Roy any richer than he is already". And, ironically, the man who will replace Keane as captain when Ireland play Finland this week? Step forward Jason McAteer. and these are among the other highlights of your brilliant career so far.

1) After dumping Jase, former girlfriend Donna Air told an interviewer, "I wouldn't date any more footballers - they're not the brightest of people." Which is saying something as Donna is famous for once asking brother-and-sisters bodhran botherers The Corrs how they met.

2) On spotting another famous face in a Dublin nightclub, Jason decided to make the star feel welcome by yelling out a catchphrase he would naturally be familiar with. What snooker's Jimmy White made of the sudden cry "One hundred and eighty!" is sadly not recorded.

3) Jason's nickname is Trigger, after the Only Fools And Horses character ("If it's a girl, they're gonna call it Rose, after Del's mum. And if it's a boy, they're gonna call it Rodney, after Dave"). This caused problems when he first arrived at Liverpool as Rob Jones, then regarded as the least cerebral player at Anfield, already owned the name. In recognition of his superior claim, however, McAteer was later christened 'Double Trigger'.

4) According to former Blackburn team-mates, Jason's greatest moment came on a squad night out to an Italian restaurant. Asked by the waitress whether he wanted his pizza cut up into eighths, McAteer is alleged to have replied, "Nah, I'm not that hungry - just cut it into four."

5) In another possibly apocryphal (that means it might be made up, Jason) story, McAteer is reckoned to have asked a Liverpool team-mate what to put in the space marked 'Position In Company' on a credit card application form. According to legend, the source of McAteer's confusion was that "I'm a central midfielder but the boss is playing me at right wing-back."

6) Jason is a keen gourmet. After Ireland qualified for the second stage of the 1994 World Cup finals, he spent the night eating Chicken McNuggets while sitting on the bonnet of a stretch limousine in New York's Times Square in the company of U2 bassist Larry Mullen Jnr. Among his happiest memories of first club Bolton are "getting out on my own and going down to Tesco to buy my favourite biscuits". Jason also believes Gerard Houllier's biggest mistake at Liverpool has been ordering the players to abandon their morning ritual of eating toast before training.

7) Many cruel folk have suggested that Jason doesn't know much at all. But according to the voiceover on his bewildering 1998 Head And Shoulders advert, "Jason knows he can have it all". In this case, "it all" appeared to involve soaping himself homoerotically with the well-known salve for the flaky-scalped. L'Oreal hawker David Ginola was said to be "not losing much sleep" over our boy's performance.

8) Jason calls his best friend "a deep thinker. he could easily be a news reporter". Jason's best friend is Phil Babb.

9) Ireland's otherwise unremarkable World Cup warmup match against Sanfreece Hiroshima was memorable for two things: a dreadful late foul upon our hero by Tulio and Jason's subsequent assessment of his injury, picked up expertly by Sky's pitchside microphones for broadcast to the watching millions back home: "My knee's f***ed! My knee's f***ed!" Needless to say, it wasn't.

10) Ireland team-mate Ian Harte says: "The other week Jason gave a Ralph Lauren polo shirt to his mum to wash and those shirts are longer at the back than at the front. His mum didn't spot this until after she'd washed it, thought she'd shrunk the front, and so cut the back to make both sides equal. He says that's where he gets his stupidity from."

16. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    nice! but you forgot my personal favourite, as told my niall quinn

Jason was once attended to by Norman Whiteside (ex Man Utd, scored a winning FA Cup goal, he's now a practicing physiotherapist) at Sunderland's training ground. Jason asked Norman if he ever played football. Norman responded "put it this way, who's the second youngest person ever to play in the World Cup"? "Was it you"? replied a wide-eyed Jason "No" was Norman's reply "That was Pele, I was the youngest person ever to play in the World Cup"

17. bryan o neill

bryan o neill New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    dublin
    very good post,trigger may be slowbut he still psyched out "mekon" keane