Portland: Jersey and Crest

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by gd_benfica, Mar 21, 2009.

1. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Despite the main colors still the same, the jersey style and the crest should be different, more current, more appealing.
    Here is my suggestion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Mix between those 2 crest (Sporting Lisbon & Nottingham Forest)

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will theybe called the Timbers or will we hav e another Don Garber name the team contest with the write in ballot again?

3. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Merritt Paulsen said, in the press conference, the team will keep the name Timbers and for what they have shown the colors of the jerseys will be like today's Timbers.

4. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it would be interesting if they mix the current logo with the "shield" one that they used before...

something like this...

[​IMG]

5. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Soccer version of Tennessee Titans logo - tilted to one side!
    I like it, it's a little bit the same (the historic emphisis) & it's more modern. I think it's a good solution.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thats great. Bobb Lenarduzzi said the Whitecaps name isn't a sure thing but I can't imagine any other name in Vancounver. To think we would have another Cascade Derby with the Timbers, Caps and Sounders 30 years later is incredible!

7. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Vancouver will keep the name for sure, the history behind the name and they didn't announce a bailout or something like that, so I am almost sure that Vancouver will keep the name.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

reading this thread its not so sure.......

Not This Again. Whitecaps may change name.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=975982

9. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
  10. harmsway01

harmsway01 New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Oregon
    no thanks. crest will stay the same.

11. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    This alternate concept can go back to the molten hell of a subduction zone from whence it came.

The current crest is better than the tripe just posted. It IS the Portland Timbers, Timbers Army has the owner's ear on this subject, so nothing on this matter DARE change.

12. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Paul said.

13. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions and showing interest in our team, but you must understand that the Portland Timbers are NOT a McCLub. We are fiercely loyal to our city and our teams history, and would not accept this sort of updating.

Forever!
    [​IMG]
    Peace

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

How about keep the names but add a little bit like seattle did. Add a FC to end of both Timbers and VAncouver to keep it current with the FC theme, so the name is a mixture of the clubs history and the next phase of the future....

Seattle Sounders FC.

Portland Timbers FC.

VAncouver Whitecaps FC.

15. axehammer

axehammer New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Portland OR USA
    NO FC and NO new crest! The current one is perfect, the only crest I like better is the brand new TA crest, and that ones ours!!!!!

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, the Timbers current crest is absolutely perfect... better than most MLS crests in my opinion. Not to mention the history behind it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Vancouver on the otherhand needs revamping.

17. gd_benfica

gd_benfica New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Come on guys, the crest is too much old school, the lettering is too much NASL style. I know that Timbers aren't a McClub, but if some clubs with more tradition and more fans, are making changes in the crest and jerseys making them more public friendlies (Manchester United - lettering & devil; Arsenal - total change; Chelsea - total change; Juventus - lettering; Real Madrid - crown; Barcelona - lettering; Benfica - eagle; Sporting Lisbon - total change; Inter Milan - colors and rings; Rangers FC - total change; Liverpool - colors and style; Feyenoord - style; and many other clubs - I don't think that any of those clubs are McClubs!)

18. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah, at the end of the day it is not the "Timbers Army" that makes that sort of call (great supporters group, so no disrespect there)... its the owners and their business decisions... If they think the crest needs a change (or if the league ask them to do so) they will change it.

I seriously doubt any of you will stop supporting the team if they do actually change the logo.

Altough to be fair, the owners have not said that they will change it, so this thread is a "what if" kinda thing, so keep your panties on. ;)

19. savier

savier Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    actually merritt did say in a radio interview on friday that the "look" will change and he seemed to be alluding to changing the badge. and although you say this isn't the sort of thing the timbers army makes the call on, you should know that there are very frequent meetings between the FO and the timbers army about things such as this. we have a very big say in this club.

20. dayvi

dayvi New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Sammamish, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As a Sounders fan, it pains me to say this, but objectively speaking, the Timbers crest is perfect. Of the three Cascadia crests from the USL/NASL days, the one that needed to go was the Sounders. The Whitecaps could use improvements, though it is a tough decision because you always need to consider tradition.

All clubs need innovation, and Timbers are no different, but leave the crest alone.

21. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It will be the Whitecaps. I'll give you 4 reasons listed in increasing importance:

1. The press conference. Despite the ambiguous logo, the parties referred to the Vancouver Whitecaps several times.

2. Steve Nash's reaction. When asked what he thought about the team being renamed, he said that he hadn't heard that before and that he was 110% behind the Whitecaps name.

3. Lenarduzzi. He won a championship as a player for the NASL Whitecaps, and has been a part of the CSL/A-League/USL-1 side from the get-go. He knows what the Whitecaps name means to soccer fans in Vancouver...and himself.

4. The fans. For those of you who didn't know, the USL-1 Whitecaps were actually born as the 86ers and wore yellow. Do you know why they switched to Whitecaps and the original colours? Because that's what the soccer fans in Vancouver remembered, and that is what they wanted. I never once saw anyone outside the stadium wearing 86ers gear, but I often saw Whitecaps gear. Teams, leagues, and corporations kill for that kind of market penetration and brand recognition.

5. The world. If you want to make lots of money, you need to expand your market -- BC/west Canada is only so populous. The Whitecaps had players like Alan Ball and Peter Beardsley in the 70's, so the English are familiar with them. The Whitecaps won an NASL Championship, so the sportswriters know them. The Whitecaps have developed a fairly comprehensive youth system, so European clubs know them. The Whitecaps have been featured on Transworld Sport, an international sports show, so have some far-flung awareness. The Whitecaps have hoisted the USL trophy, so today's hardcore soccer fans know them. It's a brand 35 years in the making.

22. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Left - Portland Timbers, NASL
    Right - Portland Timbers, USL-1 (MLS?)

Different shades of color, Different type set, if you look closer.

23. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with Dayvi: as of right now, of the 3 Cascadia clubs in the U, the Timbers have the smartest, classiest logo. I will go as far as saying that I think they have a nicer logo than any of the teams in MLS.

I think that if the Whitecaps ditch their current comic-book logo, and slightly modernize their original logo, they will have the best logo -- so here's hoping.

But the Timbers badge - or at least the basic elements of it (circle, ring, standing axe) - shouldn't change.

24. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    clubs everywhere change their crests all the time. a 35 year old design isn't better just because it's 35 years old.

25. Cliff Racer

Cliff Racer New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Harrisburg, Pa.
    No, its better because it looks nicer. It seems a lot more "authentically European" looking than the bland, generic-looking stuff most MLS club's use.