Orlando City SC news thread 2010

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is going to devolve very quickly, but just to set the record straight;

--Orlando has a coach because this is a team that has been around for years that just packed up and moved.

--The Citrus Bowl may hold 65K, but no one in their right mind believes it'll be packing in even a fraction of that for this team.

--Until the USL Schedule comes out, you don't know which of the USL Pro teams Orlando will be playing.

--The prices you quote are the deposits required for season tickets, not the price of the packages themselves. In reality, Orlando is charging more per game than Tampa Bay did last year.

--As for the current roster, I refer you to the first point. Also, the amount of players signed four months before the season starts means very little, especially since FCTB cut their entire back line.

--Having a British club as an "affiliate" means little. Ask Baltimore.

2. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt-

The season ticket deposits were $50.00 per ticket. $99.00 is the price for a season ticket (18 games) in the supporters section. The team had a great special (last Thursday, I think) that offered two season tickets (in the supporters section) plus two t-shirts for $99.00. That was a 50% savings for a pair! I left a $100 deposit with the team in May, 2010. I converted this into a pair or tickets last Thursday.

The team still owes me a dollar and two shirts.

What a country!

3. ReasonableDoubt

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So...people who are willing to pay significantly more (i.e. People who had deposits down, or have been watching for specials already) get a bargain, while people who show up just before the season are dropping $150 for 12 games. Brilliant. The "18 games" is misleading, as the "MLS Friendlies" are usually free preseason games, and the "US Open Cup Game" is not a guarantee, even if you make the second round.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS friendlies free? Not any more.

5. ReasonableDoubt

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were here last March.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at WWoS and not at the Citrus Bowl.

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they were at WWoS in February. But no, they were not free. You have to pay to get into WWoS.

8. ReasonableDoubt

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll file that under "Sucks to be you guys then." Our friendlies were free, except for the game against USF, which was five bucks.

9. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Y'all aren't comparing apples to apples. The MLS event here in Orlando in February at Wide World of Sports was a preseason thing, but it was packaged as a round-robin mini-cup between Toronto, New York, Dallas, and Houston. So even though the whole thing was a glorified preseason friendly series, it wasn't the kind of thing you could walk up to and watch some ball for free for a few hours, especially since Disney/ESPN were involved. You had to buy tickets to WWoS and all that. And as it would hypothetically regard OCSC, I wouldn't imagine they'd get involved with Disney as co-hosts or something and try to co-conduct the whole thing as an Orlando City friendly series. Hopefully when OCSC have friendlies (preseason, in-season, whatever), they will be at the Citrus Bowl and part of the ebb and flow of their season, even if for example one friendly or another happens to pop up with only a short bit of advance notice.

10. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RD, You were right, I did cause a ruckus. You know me, I'm a mobster who will soon live at mile marker 44 on Interstate 4. Downtown Tampa is mile marker -0- and downtown Orlando (Citrus Bowl) is mile marker 88. I am between two great teams. I bought two tickets and two shirts for $100. They had a one-day sale and if you are on their facebook or twitter, you got the word. Therefore, I did pay $50 for a season ticket. I know the team are the Aztecs. I watched them play on-line against the Rowdies and in the stands. HOWEVER, the Rowdies were a team last year also. THAT is my point. FCTB is in the same city and they are behind! Where are we playing? Who is our coach? If we had kept Graham we would have 11 to play. I want news.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know I paid for the Philadelphia Union and FC Dallas friendlies.

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are a mobster with season tickets to one of our future rivals?

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought we paid a nominal entry fee for the MLS friendlies. The proceeds went to some Haiti relief fund, like 5 bucks a game or something wasn't it?

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea your right.

15. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the $99 special, single games are $5.50 per game. At our most expensive option ($360 for the season), single games come out to $20.

When I went to Philly for the RBNY game in October, I paid $100 (base price) for a front row seat on the ticket exchange. I think there ended up being a $20 additional fee. My supporters' section ticket in Chicago for one game was $15, and that was bought through Section 8.

With that perspective in place, is $5.50 or even $20 too high for MLS or EPL (ie: Stoke) friendlies?

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From a Battery fan perspective. We get the Carolina Challenge cup each year. This year we will have Toronoto, DC and Chicago March 5-12. Its a round robin tournament with the Battery hosting and we will get 6 matches (3 double headers) Cost for the whole tournament is $35 or $10 a night. The tournament is part of the season tickets though.

For the Bolton match this past year, regular tickets started at $15 and the supporters group could get them for $12 I think. In the past we have had a couple Mexican teams but I think they were set up by a thrid party. Prices were like $20 which I think is too high.

All the preseoasn matches are free but typically they are local college or last year we played Carolina (I would expect Carolina and/or Atlanta this year)

US Open Cup matches usally start at $5 GA for the early rounds but if we get an MLS team it goes to regualar ticket prices.

So to me $5 (or in the Battery case two matches a night at $5 each) for preseason and starting about $15 for mid to lower table EPL match is about right. If they brought one of the big names, prices could go up alot.

But the value isnt only on the pitch. It is the whole game day experience, concession, bathrooms, length of lines, parking, availablity of team gear, price of food, quality of beer and food all are part of that experience. If a casual fan has issues with these things chances are, if the cost is too high, they wont be back.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States