Relegation Predictions

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by scabdirisaq, Mar 6, 2009.

1. scabdirisaq

scabdirisaq Member

Jun 24, 2007
    BK Park
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Somalia
    So who do you think will go down this year?

1) West Brom
    2) Newcastle
    3) Middlesborough

2. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    18 - Newcastle
    19 - Boro
    20 - WBA

Seems to be between Portsmouth and Newcastle for the last spot.

Newcastle have tough schedule. They play Arsenal and Chelsea at home and Liverpool and Villa away. They need to get a point April 11 at Stoke.

Boro have Villa and ManU at home and are away to Arsenal. They have a huge match at Stoke next Saturday.

But Stoke are tough at home. They lead the bottom half of the Prem with 7 home victories. If they beat both Boro and Toon they will be close to safety.

Pompey have Everton and Arsenal home and ManU away. They need a point at Newcastle on April 27. If they win there they probably will stay up, if they lose they may not.

3. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Newcastle are going to get up out of the bottom.

First off, I think that Bolton (7 pts clear of bottom 3) and Stoke (6 pts clear of bottom 3) are safe at this point. Given all the games amongst the bottom clubs and the number of clubs that would all have to rise to over take Bolton or Stoke, I just don't see it happening. So we're looking among the following.

14. Portsmouth... 34 pts, -14 gd
    15. Hull City.... 34 pts, -19 gd
    16. Blackburn.... 34 pts, -19 gd
    17. Sunderland... 32 pts, -13 gd
    --------------
    18. Newcastle.... 30 pts, -15 gd
    19. Middlesbrough 30 pts, -22 gd
    --------------
    20. West Brom

In my opinion, West Brom are already going down - no further discussion of them needed.

Portsmouth - v Bolton, @ ManU, @ Newcastle, v Arsenal, @ Blackburn, v Sunderland, @ Wigan -- 3 left at home, 4 on the road - I wouldn't expect more than 4 points from 9 at home giving them 38 if they don't get a single point on the road.

Hull City - @ Sunderland, v Liverpool, @ Aston Villa, v Stoke City, @ Bolton, v ManU -- 3 home and 3 away. No points expected from Liverpool, Aston Villa, Bolton or ManU. Their season actually could hinge on their next game at Sunderland - a point there (more importantly, denying Sunderland 2) could be huge. Also they MUST win their home match against Stoke - but I think a point is more likely. Given their recent run of form, they could wind up on 35 gaining nothing more than a single point against Stoke.

Blackburn - @ Stoke, v Wigan, @ Man City, v Portsmouth, @ Chelsea, v West Brom - Gotta figure nothing from Stoke, Man City and Chelsea games. But they're probably gonna get 6 from Wigan and Portsmouth giving them 40 on the year. Even if they only get a point from Wigan, then a point or 3 from West Brom in their last game would give them 39 or 41 on the year.

Sunderland - v Hull, @ West Brom, v Everton, @ Bolton, @ Portsmouth, v Chelsea - 3 points from Hull and 1 point from West Brom could be their last points of the year giving them 36 on the year.

Newcastle - @ Tottenham, v Portsmouth, @ Liverpool, v Middlesbrough, v Fulham, @ Aston Villa - 7 points from their 3 remaining home matches (and a full 9 is actually quite realistic) puts them on 37 assuming they get nothing from the away matches (also a reasonable assumption).

Middlebrough - v Fulham, @ Arsenal, v ManU, @ Newcastle, v Aston Villa, @ West Ham - You can't expect points against Arsenal or ManU. Perhaps 1 against Aston Villa since they're slumping, nothing expected at Newcastle or West Ham. Perhaps a full 3 against Fulham - that would put them on 34 - at best I see them on 36 points.

Final standings

14. Blackburn.... 39 pts
    15. Portsmouth... 38 pts
    16. Newcastle.... 37 pts
    17. Sunderland... 36 pts
    --------------
    18. Hull City.... 36 pts
    19. Middlesbrough 36 pts
    20. West Brom

If all the others play out, my guess is that Sunderland v Hull this weekend decides 17-18. If Sunderland takes 3 points at home, Sunderland beats the drop on goal difference. If they split the points, then Hull beats the drop.

4. scabdirisaq

scabdirisaq Member

Jun 24, 2007
    BK Park
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Somalia
    seems realistic, but I think you are giving Newcastle too much leeway... just cause Messiah Part deux has arrived does not make me change my mind... (9 point realistic? :confused:)

I expect them to win against Boro, that 3 points... a lose at Liverpool, Aston Villa, Fulham and Spurs seems assured... a point at Portsmouth and that comes to 4 points...

Boro will be lucky to come out with a point from the remaining games... there only chance is at Newcastle so they are going down.

Hull could get a point from Sunderland and Stoke they still have a small chance at Bolton and /me thinks that if their survival comes down to a win at Bolton, they could nick it with a point at least.

With that said, I still believe Newcastle, Boro and West Brom will go down... lets see how my prediction....

5. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, two rounds left and Blackburn need only 1 point or to hold onto their goal differential advantage over Hull to clinch safety.

15. Portsmouth... 38 pts, -20 gd
    16. Sunderland... 36 pts, -17 gd
    17. Newcastle.... 34 pts, -17 gd
    --------------
    18. Hull City.... 34 pts, -24 gd
    19. Middlesbrough 31 pts, -26 gd
    20. West Brom 31 pts, -29 gd

Portsmouth - v Sunderland, @ Wigan -- I had indicated earlier that I saw them getting to 38 and that's where they are. 38 will almost certainly keep them save.

Sunderland - @ Portsmouth, v Chelsea -- I felt that getting to 36 would see them stay up. They're still not clear - two losses combined with a shock win from Hull over Bolton could still see Sunderland go down. But given the goal difference situation, just a single point at Portsmouth sees them safe. Given that it also clinches safety for Portsmouth, you may see Portsmouth playing not to lose rather than to win and Sunderland could just see a point taken.

Newcastle - v Fulham, @ Aston Villa -- out of the bottom 3 on goal difference and given Hull's form and remaining schedule they could very well stay there. A win this week against Fulham virtually clinches staying up, but a point would be very nice.

Hull City - @ Bolton, v ManU -- I suggested in my earlier post that they may only take 1 point from their remaining games by taking a point against either Hull or Sunderland. In fact, they've taken none. With a road game and a game against ManU, they're going down.

Middlebrough - v Aston Villa, @ West Ham -- Done after today. They'd have to take 4 points from these two games and hope Newcastle don't get any more.

West Brom - v Liverpool, @ Blackburn -- I didn't even list their schedule when I last posted, but a valiant run have given them a shot. But Newcastle's win today probably shuts the door on them. Like Boro, they'd have to have 4-6 points from their last two and hope Newcastle & Hull take none.

Final standings

15. Portsmouth... 39 pts
    16. Newcastle.... 37 pts
    17. Sunderland... 37 pts
    --------------
    18. Hull City.... 34 pts
    19. Middlesbrough 31 pts
    20. West Brom 31 pts

For once, one of my predictions threads is actually playing out very close to predicted. The Sunderland v. Hull game on 4/18 is turning out to be a decider. Sunderland is staying clear and Hull is going down largely due to the 3 points for Sunderland and 0 for Hull that day.

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I think the current bottom three will go down. Newcastle will stay up just through Hull and Boro being so ********ing awful.

7. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, thrilled to see Fulham win yesterday, but it's really surprising that Newcastle just couldn't get it together. Did they get robbed on the goal disallowed - probably. But you still gotta perform.

Portsmouth is already officially safe and West Brom is officially relegated. Boro is all but relegated given their goal differential deficite to Hull. Sunderland is still in it unless they get a win tomorrow. A point tomorrow isn't enough to be safe.

8. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be something! Sunderland safe and the Barcodes go down!

9. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Sunderland clearly don't want to survive this season.

10. Ze Pereira

Ze Pereira Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Adelaide, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    West Brom is done, I think Middlesbrough is a safe bet as well.

That leaves Newcastle and Hull, I doubt both will win so Sunderland will be safe.

I'm putting my money on Hull to go down, ManU will drop the stars but the second team in all likelyhood will be to good for hull. At best I see them getting a draw.

Given the importance of the game and Aston Villas not so great home record I see Newcastle getting at least a draw which keeps them safe on goal difference. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a bit sick of Newcastle to be honest.

Bottom 3

Hull
    Boro
    West Brom

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were wrong as Hull City survived and Newcastle United, Middlesbrough, and West Bromwich Albion got relegated.

12. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly, any team that leaves Jonás Gutierrez rotting on a bench deserves to be relegated. Good riddance.

13. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Any team who plays an attacking player who never scores and has no end product whatsoever is going to be relegated eventually.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Jonas is an amazing player until it comes to either shooting or crossing.

15. ThumpCounty

ThumpCounty New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Shearer stay?

16. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So one player has to do it all?? Last time I check, this was a collective game.

17. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    What outfield player doesn't ever have to shoot or cross?

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Who said he had to do it all? But it's a pretty big flaw in an attacking player, especially one that plays on the wing that his shooting and crossing are rubbish.

19. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, the thing is that when I see him playing for the Argentine NT, he doesn't specifically play on the role of an "attacking player" per se. I see him more as a mixed midfielder with lots of heart and energy who also has assisting capabilities and I've even seen him scoring once or twice for his NT. So if he was given the strarting spot at his team, I'm sure more of these type of performances could be seen.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! I didn't know this guy posted here...

[​IMG]