Atlanta Supporters Club

Discussion in 'Terminus Legion' started by ATL PrimeTime, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ATL PrimeTime

ATL PrimeTime New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over that past few years I've been visiting this and other soccer forums and I've seen countless entries about having an Atlanta Soccer Supporters Club. We've discussed how it could help aid the effort to bring MLS to Atlanta like Sons of Ben did for Philly, we've come up with a thousand different names that we could use for this nonexistent club, and we've never once made any progress toward getting any closer from what I can tell. (Aside from BKs previous effort before moving)

I would like to see if there are enough interested parties to get this thing going. If it's something we would just prefer to talk about then actually do then fine, so be it. However, IF we want to actually have an organization that could have a purpose and have an impact then lets start today.

Step 1: I would like to know there are enough interested parties that are willing to contribute to the dialog to help make this a reality. I would like to see 15 - 20 people reply saying "yes, I want to help". And if you have any particular skill sets that could aid the organization to great.

Step 2: At the same time we need to discuss the best way to communicate and work through this process.

For example, I think this forum is valuable for dialog and getting insight from other organizations that have already gone through this process. However, we would need a separate way to track members, data, etc. I'm not saying we all need to create ASSC accounts everywhere and start Eviting each other for dialog dates. Just some thoughts.

Time line. If we can't get 20 people in 3 weeks then I personally would be willing to stick a fork in it and call it done. We need to have milestones and time-lines to keep moving forward and not get bogged down in a 3 year discussion around names.

So... who's with me???

And who knows how to get a sub category "Atlanta Supporters Club" created without cussing out a moderator to get their attention? :D

2. scholsey18

scholsey18 New Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey I would be glad to help in anyway . I have recently moved to atlanta and I wanted to meet some fellow united supporters .

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first suggestion would be to have the initial meeting in person. Then have subsequent meetings weekly (or firther apart) on skype. You can make them voice or text meetings.

We have met weekly on skype since Jan 2007. We use our weekly meeting to plan PR, events, and coordinate efforts.

4. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Yes...I'll help anyway I can from DC. I still have alot of connections in the soccer community in Atlanta so I can at least contribute that.

6. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    www.westside109.org

An organization that's been around for years with a collection of talented and dedicated fans. Why not check it out? As for me I'm probably too old and busy to be much help.

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Yeah, it would be good to get them involved...assuming they would support MLS. I'm not so sure about some of the late-W109 members

8. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    With the Silverbacks gone (and at no fault of MLS), you will find most if not all of them more receptive. For everyone it's all about getting (and retaining) the best possible team. But a good fan is like a good husband: you don't just dump them or even hope they die so you can take up with one that's a little flashier. It's especially stupid when you aren't sure the new one will stick around. Someone who would betray like that never loved their team (or wife) in the first place and perhaps is incapable of love/trust. If someone asked a good husband/fan to do so (while their team/spouse was still around), wouldn't you agree they might reasonably find the suggestion a bit offensive?

I'm still not sure Atlanta can support an MLS team, but now that the Silverbacks are gone I can think about MLS without feeling like I'm betraying an old friend. Perhaps others will agree. You should ask. And be respectful.

9. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    I agree....I think the main thing is trying to unite the Atlanta soccer fans. It is absolutely a FACT that there are enough of us in Atlanta. I've personally seen the Brewhouse packed to standing room only to watch the Premier League at 8:00 Saturday mornings. I've seen nearly 15,000 hispanics show up for an un-publicized game at Herndon Stadium. And I've seen 2,000 show up for an amatuer men's Caribbean league game. There are currently very independant factions in the Atlanta soccer community that are very strong and need to be united.

10. cander38

cander38 New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Brain_Skies

Brain_Skies New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    savannah
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, im game

12. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    With MLS to Atlanta getting some serious press, where are we in terms of organization among the fans? Has anyone done anything yet? It'd be nice to have something in place and hit the ground running when our time finally comes.

13. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    Fan Group: The Southern Phoenix

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boss=brotherhood of southern soccer

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I believe we have a winner. :)

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm quite proud of it haha. tell those SoB's that the BOSS is in town.

17. Brain Damage

Brain Damage New Member

May 14, 2009
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Springsteen is in town...sweet. Kidding, from an SoB to all the BOSS it would be great to have team in the south instead of another team in Canada or mid-west. Make the push guys. BTW, Southern Phoenix sounds like a drink.