Alert: Let's Slur on Italians

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Falc, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  2. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In these situations it's best to be the bigger man and not trouble yourself over it. He's not going to lose any sleep over it, so why stress yourself out? Sometimes people need to be petty, just pretend it never happened.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why Mike? Are we Italians suppose to take it on the chin? No one is stressing out. Just a little outrage. It is not as if some random poster used a slur. It was one of the featured bloggers on this site, not that it makes the person anymore relevant than anyone else. I expect better. We deserve better. It was removed. Not sure if he did it himself or if my complaint to BS got someone else to change it.

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pardon my ignorance Falc, but I don't see what's offensive about eye-tie. I always assumed it was more of nick, like calling an american a yank. Maybe i'm wrong.

But on the subject of the LA Galaxy ...... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Bill Archer is one of the last people on BS to get in an uproar about. He's a loudmouth who intentionally writes things to provoke a response but when confronted with someone who will stand up to him with informed opinions and facts resorts to name calling and insults.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If someone is that petty then I doubt you are going to change his opinion by chewing him out. A lot of these people are just looking for attention and so if anything else you just end up encouraging them.

I just really fail to see the point in it. If anything you'd be better off blogging and trying to bring an Italian perspective into the fold.

Also for what it's worth, let him be angry because he's in a lose lose situation with Beckham. They can either agree to whatever offer Milan makes or they can lose Beckham come November for nothing thanks to the clause in his contract. The player that was supposed to put the league on the map has instead classified it an amateur league.

7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like he edited his article? Hey falc, you know he was using the word WHOPPING to really mean WOPS, you better give it to him again! lol :D

8. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    these are the best 2 statements on the subject.
    as italian as i am, the "slur" eye-tie" is actually really funny. say it like 10 times to yoursef out loud. its pretty funny. thats like calling cristiano ronaldo a homo. he knows its true he doesnt say anything and laughs because its true and funy.

9. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's supposed to be a slur that originated during WW2 by the English, but who knows.

10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aren' the english supposed to be clever and witty? Eye-tie? lol :rolleyes:

11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well, considering that our parents were born in Eye-taly.

And when will some of the idiots on Fox Soccer learn how to pronounce the names of Italian teams and players?

12. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i hear ya man. the only one who tries is max bretos, i kinda like him.

13. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't really care about this, but I'm getting annoyed how accepted it is to rip on Italians these days. Especially here in the US. Stupid shit like Gotti tv shows and mafia movies don't help, but still. For every other minority here, any of the littlest thing will send people into an uproar, but the Italian stereotypes are just accepted jokes. It's really annoying considering the impact Italian immigrants have had in this county. The stats of those that went against their home country of Italy (and we know what pride means to Italians) to fight for America or help in WW2 with familiarity of regions in Italy, the racism Italians went through at that time, the working class people who built neighborhoods, etc, teach that stuff in history, not just 20 chapters of slavery and bad mouthing of Columbus and how he shouldn't be credited with finding America (that's pretty much a textbook these days)

14. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well, thats because italians are so racist, so to dish it you gotta take it. thats how i look at it.

15. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i'm impressed with your intelligence

16. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    is that supposed to be sarcastic?

17. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    All I'm going to say on this matter is that two wrongs don't make a right. So if you slur on Italians because you've at some point in your life experienced racism from an Italian, then you are no better than the racist that originally offended you.

Also making the generalization that all Italians are racist, won't win you any friends here and is honestly quite offensive. Yes there is racism in Italy, there is also racism in the United States, in France, in England, in the Middle East, in South America, and in nearly every corner of the globe.

18. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    well, being italian i would know italians are racist. and of course, as is any other country. but pertaining to what i said last post... italians are rather very racist. im not saying every single italian is, but as a whole, were very racist. im not saying i think its good, but its just a known fact even the racists know theyre being racist. of course theres also spain who has been racist towards eto'o, kameni...henry... just to name a few.(just what i could think of at this time). then look at what also happened to zoro lecce vs inter if i am correct, im probably wrong.
    to sum up my post...too many italians are racist, but there not the only ones, of course. and my favorite part... everything is blamed on italians,,, italians dive italians cheat,there not good theyrre old...
    diving happens more in england than in italy, for cheating, thats just juve and moggi and berlusconi...old, yes milans a retirement home.

19. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why do most, if not all, of the racist chants/etc. occur in Northern Italy? Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

20. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italians living in Italy, or abroad? All of my relatives, who live all over Italy but have their roots in Napoli, are not racist from my understanding. I even had conversations about racism with most of them, they don't care about race.

21. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    in general, all over... i mean like i said, not every single italian is racist, but a great amount of italians are racist. ive got family who isnt racist also, but then theres a few that are a bit towards the racist side...
    its indirect racism, they wont say anything around the person/people that there being racist about, theyll crack a joke with friends, while watching a match... like i said, its not all, its just a good/great/numerous amount... it also kind of depends where the people who are being racist are from, mostly the provinces in the north are a bit more racist, because less "minorities" if you want to call it are found in the south...
    my italian side of the family is from palermo, when i was there i saw lots of african people and foreigners. nobody said much about them when i asked, because sicily itself, believe it or not is derived from africans.

22. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you speak Palermitano?

23. Inter4Life5

Inter4Life5 Member

Jul 16, 2008
    nyc
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    nah i never learned it, i learned basic italian tho.

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Don't feel bad, Rossi gets cursed all the time @ BS; e.g

25. sanzone7

sanzone7 New Member

Jul 5, 2008
    italy is no more racist than england france germany etc etc......racism is a problem in society one that needs to be cleaned up unfortuantely there are plenty of people around with outdated ideas and these groups love to prey on ususally misguided people......just take a look on stormfront

plenty of pseudo-scientists on there talking complete crap