In Memory of Jonathan Manzo Chavez - Please help

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by SaprissaFC, Nov 18, 2008.

1. SaprissaFC

SaprissaFC New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Jonathan (far left) with some of his teammates

On Saturday, November 15th, Santa Clara Youth Soccer and Santa Clara Sporting Club lost Jonathan Manzo Chavez, a very special young player to a tragic traffic accident while traveling home with his family from a soccer tournament in Manteca. Jonathan was a member of Sporting’s Boys Under 10 Team. On that Saturday morning, Jonathan, his mother and two siblings travelled to Manteca for a NorCal State Cup qualifying tournament. Although Jonathan’s father had to leave the tournament early to attend work he still made the drive to watch as much of his son’s games as he could. Jonathan showcased his talents in front of those he loved the most and celebrated the end of a perfect day of soccer by putting one goal in the back of the net. Unfortunately, no one knew this was to be Jonathan’s last goal. As the family was traveling home, a driver made an ill fated attempt to pass another car on a two lane road and hit the Manzo Family’s Minivan head on. Amazingly, it was reported as rescue workers tried to take off Jonathan’s Sporting shorts, he pleaded that they not be cut because he had a game the next day. As rescue workers then tried to cut away his Sporting jersey Jonathan yelled to his mom to come take it off. Prior to being air-lifted to the hospital, his mom removed his jersey and he again reminded her to save it, as he was worried it would get lost or ruined. It’s hard to imagine the love this young man had for the game and his team.

Santa Clara Soccer will never forget Jonathan as he will truly be missed by all those whose lives he touched. Jonathan’s team decided to not continue in the tournament that weekend and before every game on the following Sunday morning every team observed a moment of silence in memory of Jonathan. Jonathan’s mother and older brother have been released from the hospital and are recovering. His older sister is still in ICU and is recovering from surgery.

Financial Support & Donations can be made electronically via a special PayPal Account set-up for the Chavez Family, or checks can be sent in the name of "Jonathan Manzo Chavez Memorial Trust" (Acct # 376000010) to the United Labor Bank at 2550 N. First Street, Suite 102, San Jose, CA 95131, and can also be mailed to the Santa Clara Sporting office at 282 Brokaw Road, Santa Clara Ca 95050.

2. sanchez17

sanchez17 New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Fresno
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I had watch him play befor this tragedy.
    His club was playing my nephews club, He was an amazing player.
    and from what I read, He had a great passion for the sport.
    May God bless The Chavez Family.

R.I.P. Jonathan Manzo Chavez

3. FIRETILIDIE

FIRETILIDIE Member

Jan 5, 2007
    very, very, sad.
    I hope is family is able to recover and cope with this tragedy and tremendous loss.

4. Guicho

Guicho New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    CREMAS
    Ya mande algo. que en pas descanze. desde el ara de san francisco estamos con la familia. rip

5. SaprissaFC

SaprissaFC New Member

Nov 2, 2005
  6. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    I hope we don't forget as time goes by. My kids skipped a trip to Toy'sRUs and donated what the would have spent on Lego's to help out.

7. SaprissaFC

SaprissaFC New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Happy New Year to everyone!

We would like to ask for your help to spread the news about a Fundraising Raffle we just launched this month to raise a last bit of money to help Jonathan Manzo Chavez's Family and kick-off the 2009 Soccer Season! Jonathan was a 10-year old soccer player in our league who tragically lost his life in a car accident while returning from a tournament last Fall. His story and blog website is located at http://prettyboychavez.blogspot.com/

All funds rasied from our raffle will go to support Jonathan's Family who needs financial support. Our Raffle runs until January 31st, and we have some awesome prizes such as: autographed jerseys from the LA Galaxy, Team Training Sessions with Jerry Smith & Brandi Chastain, a VIP Soccer Package from the new FC Gold Pride Womens Pro Soccer Team, and more. Tickets are only $2. Go to http://www.scyouthsoccer.org/News/291513.html for details, and please tell everyone about it!

Thank you for your support!