1977 NASL All-Star Team

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Excape Goat, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    G Gordan Banks -- Fort Lauderdale Strikers
    D Franz Beckenbauer -- NY Cosmos
    D Mike England -- Seattle Sounders
    D Bruce Wilson -- Vancouver Whitecaps
    D Mel Machin -- Seattle Sounders
    M George Best -- Los Angeles Aztecs
    M Wolfgang Suhnholz -- Las Vegas Quicksilvers
    M Alan West -- Minnesota Kicks
    F Steve David -- Los Angeles Aztecs
    F Pele -- New York Cosmos
    F Derek Smethurst -- Tampa Bay Rowdies

Banks, Pele, Beckenbauer and Best.... England was one of Wales' greatest player. Smethurst was the greates player in South Africa. I had no idea who were the rest of the players.

what an era?

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is an impressive Best XI. However, if you made a "Worst XI" of guys who played regularly for their teams, you'd come up with a side that would be worst than a mediocre A-League team. NASL was top-heavy in so many ways. For every time the Cosmos or the Rowdies or the Kicks drew 50,000+, a team like Memphis was pulling in 800 and calling it 3800. For every Beckenbauer or England there were a handful of guys who make Kenny Arena look like Rio Ferdinand. No two aways about it, though: "what an era?" is right.

3. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve David was a favorite of mine. I saw him score a hat trick at what was Pele's final apperance w/Cosmos at the Coliseum. (I actually had a picture of Pele leaving the field giving his shirt to the ref, but lost it years ago.) I believe he was from Trinidad, but you might double check. He was one of the best strikers mid/late 70's.

4. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Re: Re: 1977 NASL All-Star Team

Steve David was the real deal alright, but his career was short-lived. Unfortunately he was virtually kicked out of the League because the referees' refusing to protect him. David is example A of why thuggary should be nixed from soccer.

5. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: 1977 NASL All-Star Team

The fact that Steve could only score in odd-numbered years might have had something to do with that, too. ;)

Great names, yes...but feel free to post the average age. Banks was 37 (not necessarily old for a keeper, but still) and the NASL got him by default; he'd lost an eye several years earlier and had retired. Pele was close to 40. Suhnholz, Beckenbauer and Best were in their thirties, as was England and a few of the others.

As another poster remarked, "top heavy" was a good way to describe the NASL.

Finally, see any Americans on that list? No? Maybe that's because, for the most part, they weren't allowed to play. (Wilson was Canadian.)

Don't get me wrong. I loved the NASL. Lord knows, I spend enough of my time researching and writing about it. But I'll take MLS any day.

6. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would second Steve's point about MLS vs NASL. But I will say that those players elevated the sport to a level in America that the MLS guys still have yet to do. I was looking through some old SI's when I saw this ad from the 10/13/75 issue:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, Pele is featured with five NFL player. No baseball players, no basketball players, no hockey players.

You had 6 player posters to pick from: Pele, Steve David, Paul Child, Bob Rigby, Kyle Rote Jr., and Julie Vee.

If we are honest with ourselves, today (or the last few seasons) you would not see an MLS player displayed like this, and only player poster available would probably be Mia Hamm's

This should change over time of course, but I think this ad gives you a sense of Pele's impact on NASL and how its profile was raised in the US sporting world.

7. zizkov do toho

zizkov do toho New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oulu,Finland
    Without the NASL, I'd be a regular on BigBaseball.com these days.

The Rowdies are a kick in the grass!!

8. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    Wow, my brother and I had that Pele poster on our bedroom wall!

Those all-stars were great players, but past their prime by 1977. Trevor Francis and Peter Beardsley were about the only players who came over in or before their primes that I remember. I cringed when I heard Gazza was looking to play here, because those former greats were good for raising the awareness of the game in the US but kept young Americans from getting the playing time they needed to get better. MLS is a much better situation. They need to continue to keep a lid on signing old "stars". Stoichkov has done very little I can see for either Chicago or DC. Better in the long term to promote the league through young American players. Sure they will probably leave to go overseas, but then you bring in a new cycle, because the casual fan (the kind that actually have to be marketed to) only has a certain attention span anyway.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I had Mean Joe Green on my wall. Didn't get into soccer until a year or two later.

I agree with pretty much everything you say, though as I Fire fan I have to point out that Hristo was tremendous in 2000. He left everything on the field for MLS Cup 2000, and was crushed by the defeat. He was taking his job quite serioiusly.

Since then... well, I think he's gone down hill. He hasn't hit the depths of Mattheus, but that's only because Lothar pretty much put that bar on the floor, so it will be tough to go under it.

10. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Hristo (probably because of that awful foul on the kid from American Univ.) because Beasley and Bocanegra have really picked up their games in the last 2-3 years. Maybe he's had something to do with that.

Mattheus, ouch, you'd really have to slither under that bar!

11. coachb010101

coachb010101 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Regarding the Pele poster...I am a teacher and I have it on the wall in my classroom. I've had that poster for at least 20 years.

Regarding the NASL, the Kicks sure knew how to throw a party...it felt like British soccer inside the stadium and out. It was a great time for me who at 12 had just found the game. Filling the old Met Stadium. And almost never able to beat the hated Tulsa Roughnecks.

Cosmos games were great, too. Whatever happened to Roberto Cabanas? He scored one of the greatest goals I ever saw...jumping horizontal and backheel-flick into the net.

12. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    I think Cabanas later played along with another Cosmos ex on the Paraguay team in the World Cup in 86. My favorite NASL player was Johan Cruyff. He had an injury plagued year the year he was in DC, but his class was evident even playing at a jog. I'll bet my mother still has our Pele poster; she never throws anything away.

13. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  14. coachb010101

coachb010101 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I see Cabanas playing for Paraguay [and scoring] on a video I have on all the goals of the 86 world cup. He was magic. I'm surprised he didn't get any more famous.

15. coachb010101

coachb010101 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a picture of Roberto Cabanas scoring the goal I refered to is at this page:

http://www.soccernova.com/images/activism/cosmos_campaign/gallery/players/cabanas.gif

16. coachb010101

coachb010101 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Ace Ntsoelengoe was a great player for the Kicks, as was Alan Willey.

17. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    If I remember correctly Smethurst spent an off season or two as place kicker for the Cincinnati Bengals.

18. old boy

old boy New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Maine
    I don't know about Smethurst, but I think Chris and Matt Bahr (Walter's sons) both played in the NASL and kicked in the NFL. I'm not sure they did so at the same time.

19. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Bahr was the 1975 NASL Rookie of the Year with the Philadelphia Atoms, his only NASL season:

[​IMG]

Matt played with Colorado in 1978 and Atlanta in 1979. After that, he played in the ASL for a year or two. Unlike Chris, Matt played NASL and NFL ball at the same time.

Smethurst may have tried out with an NFL team, but I don't remember him actually making one.

20. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention of Smethurst at www.pro-football-reference.com

Also, this is what the 1978 Complete Handbook of Soccer had to say in Smethurst's bio:

21. coachb010101

coachb010101 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    That's the goal! Who are the Cosmos playing?

22. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Tulsa Roughnecks

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick Davis was a good NY Cosmo player

24. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While admitting I had the Beckenbauer poster on my wall when I was a kid, I do want to point out that there are MLS posters available. My sons have a Donovan poster in their room that didn't come from the Quakes.

Tony