Ryan Giggs mentioned on "The Simpsons" 11/23

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by XaviusX, Nov 23, 2003.

1. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not BIG news but I was wondering if anyone else saw tonight's episode of THE SIMPSONS where they visit the UK.

While there, Homer Simpson bragged that he had just come out of a fist fight with 2 other guys over a Soccer match. He also mentioned that GIGGS shouldn't have received a yellow card in the Penalty box. I guess this proves that Homer is a Man Utd. supporter. ;)

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Giggs is much better-known in the United States than Beckham (who got snubbed because he supposedly wasn't famous enough).

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This doesn;t make any sense........ :confused:

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess that it was intended to be so obscure only EPL savvy yanks like us would get it.

The Simpsons is cool like that.

NYR Metro, I allready ate.

5. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just something I noticed while watching THE SIMPSONS tonight. Homer Simpson mentioned Ryan Giggs on the show(which caught me by surprise), so I thought I'd share this and see if anyone else saw it.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    lol.
    No I know what YOU meant. But I was confused why the show's creators chose Giggs and not beckham. That was all. :)

7. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oops, my bad. I guess they chose GIGGS over Becks because they needed to mention a star player who still plays domestically in England. Or like Deuteriumoxide mentioned: They had to make it obscure enough for us Soccer Savvy Yanks to understand. Plus, they also will air this same episode in Britain, so I guess it was put in to show the Brits that we know Soccer. ;)

8. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't been on here yet so thanks for the heads up.

9. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! Let me know if I wasn't just hearing things when it was on here. I'm most positive he mentioned Giggs.

10. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
  11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIGGSY!

Yes, I caught this one! Great little reference, someone on the Simpsons' writing staff must be a United fan. :)

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: GIGGSY!

Or maybe they just did their research on British pop culture ? Minus Beckham of course ;)

13. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    "The Simpsons" are in the UK...

They're on the BBC, and as an added bonus there's no commercials. Maybe that was "shout out" to the English fans. As far as I can tell, the Simpsons are on TV in most countries in the world. Perhaps that's how most of the world gets their impression of the US. (Come to think of it, that would explain a lot of things.) I remember once seeing the Simpsons on TV in Peru. In case you're wondering, "Doh!" in Spanish is "Doh!".

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    None of which is anywhere near as funny as the Trainspotting riff.

16. Bizzo

Bizzo New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    toronto
    Beckham was considered for a cameo on the show, not just to have his name mentioned.

Cool nonetheless.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why it makes Sense...

Beckham no longer plays in England as someone mentioned, so they decided to go with the next brightest star. We all know that it should be Ruud but if one of the anchors on sportscenter could not get his name right (recently when he scored against Scotland in the 6 goal romp) I doubt we would have believed it if Homer got it right. Thank god Giggs is on the team... can you imagine Homer trying to pronounce Ole Gunnar Solskjaer... HAHAHAHA

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    No SHearer?? I'm outraged! :)

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    just saw this one, pretty cool

20. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Bizzo said, Beckham was considered for a Cameo. It's not like they chose Giggs over beckham. The Giggs comment was obviously meant to be an obscure reference. As Homer even said that he didn't know what it meant. Good to hear it anyways:)

21. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i need to see this one.

22. Ender

Ender Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Radnor
    they prolly prefer Giggs cause he's Welsh ;-P

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think Homer would support whomever is winning during the match; that is, he'd change allegiance mid-match. The guy's not exactly a cornerstone of loyalty.

24. loloy_vinotinto

loloy_vinotinto New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Maracaibo, Venezuela
    I betcha they change the name of the players for a south american (argentinean or most likely mexican) soccer player when they dub it in spanish...
    They generally do it with celebrities (that are mentioned, not the ones with cameos)...

I think homer would be a fan of wich ever football team where the beer was cheaper in the stadium...

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

Then Marge says "Do you know what anything you just said means?" To which, Homer replies, "No, but everyone is saying it"