Official 2009 AFC Champions League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by shuvy87, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Code:
                      Pts    Pld     W     D     L    GF   GA    GD
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
     1. Kashima       53 P    29    15  -  8  -  6    51   27   +24
     2. Nagoya        51 P    29    15  -  6  -  8    41   30   +11
     3. Oita          51 P    29    15  -  6  -  8    31   22    +9
    -------------------------------ACL-----------------------------
     4. Kawasaki      48 P    29    14  -  6  -  9    51   39   +12
     5. Urawa         47 P    29    13  -  8  -  8    45   32   +13
     6. G.Osaka       47 P    29    13  -  8  -  8    41   36    +5
     7. F.Tokyo       45 P    29    13  -  6  - 10    40   38    +2
     8. Shimizu       43 P    29    12  -  7  - 10    39   36    +3
     9. Kobe          40 P    29    10  - 10  -  9    35   31    +4
    10. Kashiwa       39 P    29    11  -  6  - 12    40   36    +4
    11. Niigata       37 P    29    10  -  7  - 12    27   40   -13
    12. Yokohama FM   36 P    29     9  -  9  - 11    28   27    +1
    13. Kyoto         36 P    29    10  -  6  - 13    30   38    -8
    14. Tokyo.V       35 P    29    10  -  5  - 14    37   43    -6
    15. Chiba         34 P    29     9  -  7  - 13    29   43   -14
    -------------------Promotion/Relegation Series-----------------
    16. Iwata         32 P    29     9  -  5  - 15    36   43    -7
    ---------------------------Relegation--------------------------
    17. Omiya         32 P    29     9  -  5  - 15    28   40   -12
    [COLOR="Red"]18. Sapporo       17 P    29     4  -  5  - 20    32   60   -28[/COLOR]
    Next year, three clubs from J1 will participate in ACL. The Emperor's Cup winner receives the 4th spot; however, if any of these three clubs wins the Emperor's Cup, the 4th spot goes to the 4th-place finish. Also, even if Gamba wins the ACL this year, I believe Gamba still has to qualify through J1 unless there is a change in qualification method.

Theoretically speaking, with 5 games left in J1, Kyoto(13th) can qualify to ACL; however, realistically speaking, the top 6 clubs are in the race for ACL. The General rule of thumb in football is if number of points required exceeds number of games left, you are out of the race.

Last time I checked, some clubs, such as FC Tokyo and Shimizu are chasing for the 4th-place finish, to have some hope for ACL next year.

2. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: 2009 AFC Champions League Thread [R]

But when have any general rules of thumb for football ever applied to the J.League? ;)

I'm desperate to see Gamba back in again next year so I hope that we can at least make 3rd place. At least we still have a slim chance; must be hard for Adelaide's fans knowing that they definitely won't be back in next year.

3. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

My dream teams would be Kashima, Gamba, Kawasaki, Nagoya.
    Hopefully you guys go through the Emperors Cup (or finish 4th while one of the top-3 wins it)

4. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Curiouser and curiouser.

From this year where the defending champions got plonked in at the quarter finals, to next year where the winners don't even get to defend their title. :rolleyes:

What a mess.

5. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Interesting to see the new plans for prize money. The winner this year will be rewarded with US$600,000 but from next season that is set to rise to $1.5 million. There will also be prize money awarded at each stage; even in the group stages where teams will be rewarded on a match-by-match result basis with $20,000 up for grabs just for managing a draw.

If a team was to go all the way to the title by winning every match then they would walk away with $2.25 million. Should make things a lot more competitive.

Full prize money breakdown can be seen here: http://www.the-afc.com/eng/articles/viewArticle.jsp_168297607.html

6. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan
  7. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I had a feeling this was coming. Basically you just have to look at the European Champion's League to see what they're trying to do. Never mind the fact that if two teams from West Asia get to final their fans have to traipse all the way to Japan for the game which decides it all. Or vice versa - could you imagine if this year was a single final which was to be staged in the UAE?

All the efforts to raise the profile of the competition are commendable, but the organisers are they're getting way ahead of themselves, not to mention being apparently totally blind to the differences between Europe and Asia.

A single match final in Europe involves what, a two hour flight on average? This is a massive reason as to why it's the only continental competition with a one-game final. I hope fans in Asia care enough to shell out hundreds of pounds / dollars etc, book days off work and fly ten hours to watch their team. I can't help feeling you're going to have a couple hundred fans of each team at best, with thousands of locals there because it's on, but totally disinterested in who wins.

8. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think that hit the nail on the head. I really like the other changes they're making, but this one just makes no sense.

9. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan
  10. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England

And if we get another Japanese team in the final against someone from 6000 miles away? Or how about the prospect of a west Asian team against an Ozzie team? There'll be about 1000 people in the stadium who actually give the slightest crap who wins.

This one-match system is so unbelievably naive it beggars belief.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

IMPORTANT MESSAGE.

Lately there have been a few users who joined our forum and have been automatically redded (=kicked out) by a system that identifies them as sock (=coming to BigSoccer with two or more IDs) or previous offender.

This would explain while some of the contributors to this blog sometimes get suddenly redded, apparently with no reason.

If you are blacklisted for previous offenses, it doesn't mean you can not return to this forum. All you need to do is to subscribe without creating a sock, and begin with identifying yourself and perhaps apologizing for your previous misdeeds.

Hey, we all do/say some BS at times. I have gone above the lines myself, a few times. It happens.

So, rather than trying to cheat a system that will ALWAYS bust you, just redeem yourself and be one of us again, so that you can continue to write and discuss Japanese soccer in this community.

Thanks.

12. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan

J1 table (as of November 17)

3 games left.

Code:
                      Pts    Pld     W     D     L    GF   GA    GD
     1. Kashima       54 P    31    15  -  9  -  7    53   30   +23
     2. Urawa         53 P    31    15  -  8  -  8    48   33   +15
     3. Nagoya        52 P    31    15  -  7  -  9    42   32   +10
    -------------------------------ACL-----------------------------
     4. Oita          52 P    31    15  -  7  -  9    31   23    +8
     5. Kawasaki      51 P    31    15  -  6  - 10    55   42   +13
     6. F.Tokyo       51 P    31    15  -  6  - 10    46   41    +5
     7. G.Osaka       47 P    31    13  -  8  - 10    43   42    +1
     8. Kobe          46 P    31    12  - 10  -  9    38   31    +7
     9. Shimizu       46 P    31    13  -  7  - 11    42   38    +4
    10. Kashiwa       42 P    31    12  -  6  - 13    43   40    +3
    11. Kyoto         40 P    31    11  -  7  - 13    33   39    -6
    12. Yokohama FM   39 P    31    10  -  9  - 12    32   31    +1
    13. Omiya         38 P    31    11  -  5  - 15    32   42   -10
    14. Niigata       38 P    31    10  -  8  - 13    27   41   -14
    15. Iwata         36 P    31    10  -  6  - 15    37   43    -6
    -------------------Promotion/Relegation Series-----------------
    16. Tokyo.V       36 P    31    10  -  6  - 15    37   45    -8
    ---------------------------Relegation--------------------------
    17. Chiba         35 P    31     9  -  8  - 14    30   45   -15
    18. Sapporo       17 P    31     4  -  5  - 21    33   63   -30

Emperor's Cup quarter-finalists

Yokohama F. Marinos
    Sagan Tosu
    Gamba Osaka vs Jubilo Iwata winner
    Nagoya Grampus
    Shimizu S-Pulse
    FC Tokyo
    Kashiwa Reysol
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima

13. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan

Kashima Antlers, Kawasaki Frontale and Nagoya Grampus have qualified for 2008 AFC Champions League.

14. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I must agree with you all about the shift to a single final as opposed to a home and away leg. The complaint about distance/travel time is very valid and I'm sure that the top hasn't really thought this through all too well and is simply providing a European solution to everything (which obviously doesn't cut it here). Perhaps with enough disgruntled supporters, the idea might be abolished, but only if our voices are thrown in unison ;)

15. Kashiwagi

Kashiwagi Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Paris
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

After the J2 2008, Yosuke and his friend goes to win the Emperors Cup :cool:.

16. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  17. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The new logo is an improvement, in my opinion, but what about the trophy? I'm guessing that will still be the same, but that means that it doesn't match the logo any more and will just look pointlessly stupid now. :rolleyes:

At least before it was acceptable because you could see where they got the design, now it'll just look like a steering wheel on a block of wood. :D

18. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Hopefully they'll figure out a way so that the previous champion will automatically qualify for the next competition. It's kinda of silly that Gamba Osaka who won the competition this year may not even qualify next year. They really need to get rid of the playoff system. To be honest I believe that the countries like Malaysia and such should stick to the AFC cup because there is no way that they can compete with East Asia and the Middle East. I also agree that the 1-leg final idea will not work. Asia is much bigger than Europe and many of the countries in Asia are not as financially stable. A 2-leg final is much better because the fans will not have to travel a long distance to watch their team play.

19. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

According to goalzz.com the groups for next years competetion are already determined.

All 4 Japanese teams will play against Korean and Chinese teams each in their groups. Japan team 1 and team 2 will play against Australian team 1 and 2 respectively, in addition to the Korean and Chinese team. Japan 3 will play against the winner of the Indonesian league, in addition to the Korean and Chinese team. And Japan 4 will play against the winner of AFC CL playoff match 2 (the winner of Al-Sharjah from UAE vs Dempo SC from India).

Dont ask if Japan 1 is winner of J-League, Kashima Antlers, Japan2 = Kawasaki Frontale, Japan3 = Nagoya Grampus and Japan4 = Winner of Emperor's cup (or if Grampus wins it, Oita Trinita). I dont know. And i dont know if its all right.

http://goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=4110

20. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The numbers don't correspond to the placing in the league; the only thing that has been announced is which countries will play in which groups. The draw for the group stages is on January 7th and any of the four Japanese teams can be drawn in any of the final 4 groups.

The only team that knows their group at the moment is Indonesia's Sriwijaya, who will definitely play in Group G.

You can see all the qualified teams and the groups here on Wikipedia. :)

21. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ok thx!

22. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan

2009 AFC Champions League participants

Kashima Antlers - 2008 J. League Division 1 Winner
    Kawasaki Frontale - 2008 J. League Division 1 Runner-up
    Nagoya Grampus - 2008 J. League Division 1 3rd Place
    Gamba Osaka - 2008 Emperor's Cup Winner

23. zappin

zappin Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I wonder which of the teams will go all out for continental glory and which will focus on the league? Surely none will try to do an Urawa, going for both and consequently ending up with nothing, :rolleyes:

Personally, I am up for either, haha. I'd love to see Gamba win the league again but I would also enjoy another year like 2008 and would be quite happy following seeing the team fly out to the UAE next December, ;)

I'm looking forward to Wednesday now, I wonder what challenges the draw will offer.

24. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I hope that they get drawn with some Australian teams. They still can't admit defeat after last year and it will be nice to rub it in their faces again.

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

No.... I think from next year, we will see handful of clubs that will go for both titles.

Clubs like Gamba and Urawa will want to ensure their berth in ACL every years, which would require them to finish in TOP 3 in the league or win the Emperor's Cup. I think many can agree with me that even though with all the fatigue Gamba has accumulated during this season, the motivation to qualify for ACL kept them in hunt for Emperor's Cup title.

And then... ACL's new prize system is set up so that every win earn you something and the prize money increase every round. So on top of the ticket to CWC, there is a extra motivation for the continental glory as well. In other words, clubs will try to focus on both tournament from now on.