Sounders FC doing things right (Seattle P-I)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Marty's Better, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Marty's Better

Marty's Better New Member

May 5, 2008
    Hell's Kitchen, NYC
    Sounders FC doing things right

By SETH KOLLOEN
    SPECIAL TO THE P-I

Editor's note: Seth Kolloen is executive editor of Sports Northwest magazine. His work appears occasionally in the Seattle P-I.

IF YOU'VE EVER had your heart broken, you know that recovery begins when you realize that, even though the girl who dumped you is a heartless, awful witch and probable future war criminal, the relationship wasn't all bad. For example, she bought you that really nice cashmere sweater you wear all the time.
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soccer/372297_kolloen26.html?source=rss

2. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Great story man! I think Seattle is such a perfect fit for MLS. It's a larger city, but not New York. It's a smaller town but not Bakersfield. It has passion but it isn't Berkely, and it has tough guys but it isn't Detroit.

Here's what should (will) make Seattle the best franchise in MLS:
    • Over 20,000 season ticket holders in year one
    • an aggressive ownership group that WILL bring in a designated player in year one
    • A fan base that will rival TFC in singing and drinking beer
    • A great commitment from local TV (king and king)
    I can't wait, I am loving 2008, but 2009 is going to be a blasty blast. See you at Pike's Place some morning before a game.

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are those "it isn't going to work in Seattle" articles from the Seattle media now?

4. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    I don't know. Did they really write those? Seattle is the perfect location for an MLS franchise. As much as I want Sacramento to get one, there isn't a better option than Seattle.

That said, Portland and Vancouver would be good additions for the close travel games. I think Vancouver first, in 2011, or 2012, then Portland after. You have to make Oregon jealous or else they won't try hard enough... it's just like a pretty girl.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'm just a fixer upper today.

6. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Nice to see someone else like to see MLS is Sacramento. IT will never happen now that SJ is on track for it's own stadium but Sac. is not that much smaller a market than SJ, but would draw so, so much better. Good teams, ************ teams, day, night, whatever, a Sacto. team would sell out any adequate and reasonably sized facility. Probably get better TV ratings as well. It would be THE game in town. (Pathetic Sacramento Kings and NBA in general notwithstanding) And unlike pro baseball and football, it's lack of big name corporate headquarters is irrelevant when it comes to soccer . Sigh........ Maybe in my lifetime.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get an owner.

8. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sics a bunch of angry geckos on this thread*

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They've all been replaced by anti-NBA articles.

I wonder how much the Sonics leaving town may help the Sounders FC. After all, this is a team that wants to be in Seattle.

10. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly it seems like manna from heaven for the Sounders, and picking up the Sonics announcer (who seems to be a local deity like Johnny Most was with Celtics fans) could be almost as important as any on-field personnel decision they make.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calabro is a demi-diety in Seattle. The diety of Seattle sports announcers is Hall of Famer (as of Sunday) Dave Niehaus with the Mariners.

The Huskies' Bob Rondeau is probably a demi-diety as well.

12. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    WHEN the NBA, Kings, Maloofs, and (laugh) Monarchs move to Las Vegas, and all the gang activity slows down, Sacramento WILL be a perfect fit for MLS.

In fact, I think the similarities between Seattle and Sacramento are larger than most see. Sacramento is disgusted with the Kings, they don't trust the Maloofs, they hate David Stern and every NBA official ala 2002, and won't support that league anymore.

Seattle, sound familiar? Sacramento had crowds at every game for decades, they were robbed, and slightly cheated on by Joe and Gavin, and would jump to MLS in a heartbeat.

In Sacramento more kids play soccer than all other sports combined. Everyone here used to love the Knights, and then the Maloofs ruined that.

MLS to Sacramento 2014? Who's with me?

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to read some such articles if they exist to see what people were worried about.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i think seattle will be excellent and i can't wait to see the players that they bring in. the season ticket response so far has been great, but do we really know that they can rival tfc fans in terms of "singing and drinking beer"? the supporters group they have isn't bad (ecs, right?) but judging by a few pictures i've seen, they don't exactly have the numbers toronto do. that being said, im sure they will become larger with the sounders being in mls instead. any members around, how are you guys growing?:)

15. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article has it all wrong. We in Detroit believe that with a ton of improvements, the Lions will run almost as well as Ford Motor Co. is doing currently.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Plus, tailgating in Canada is illegal, which goes a long way in explaining why so many TFC fans pay those exhorbitant prices to drink beer at the stadium. At some venues, the fans drink their last beer right before they walk in.

17. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it me or that should it just be called Sounders????

18. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    kind of agree. not a big deal, but referring to them as sounders fc is kind of annoying. arsenal has an fc at the end of it, but everyone just calls them arsenal.

19. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Exactly, and I move that we never bring this issue up again. Not mad, just don't want to waste time with the naming issue again.

ON another point, I think Seattle will definitely rival Toronto for atmosphere. It's a great city with the right soccer climate.

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know its the american in me but i also notice that the so called media sourse for MLS and american soccer ie WSD and even CSRN maybe some others but so far mainly them are calling the Houston Dynamo in reffereing them as the "MLS Cup Champions" instead of MLS Champions? and they call the supporters shield a championship when its not, can you say lack of respect from certain "soccer people" who try to eurotize a American League?

21. Pimpin-Ain't-Easy

Pimpin-Ain't-Easy New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Uhoh, AmeriSnob? New problem here, hard to believe it exists. "Eurotize AN American League?"

Sorry I speak American better than you.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Could you please restate that in American-English?

23. Pimpin-Ain't-Easy

Pimpin-Ain't-Easy New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Agreed brother.

Hey, how do you get your link to show in the signature field? I can only place the url without the link.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I used bbcode, the same way I put links in posts.

25. el cucharon

el cucharon Member

Mar 17, 2003
    friendship village
    I'm just shocked that GoalSeattle didn't start this thread.