Detroit Soccer Thread [VI]

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by SYoshonis, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continued from https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636031

That does look nice. I could really get behind the blue and orange if orange was the trim color. I just wanted to avoid duplicating Houston.

Okay, so maybe we should start with these colors for the supporters' group. Apparently, I'm outvoted on the Purple Gang, so I can live with this scheme. Now, how about a good name (i.e., NOT "Madmen")....?

EDIT: I just noticed the suggestion for Detroit Motor City Supporters' Club. I second it. If it becomes too umwieldy, we can just get rid of "Detroit," and just make it MCSC; it's redundant, anyway.

2. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Detroit Soccer Thread [Part V]

I would be keen to Motor City Supporters Club as well. My only thing I'd like to see is a name that immediately identifies where we're from. Something with Motor City or Detroit in it will be perfect, but I'm not worried. I'm sure we will all pick a name we can be proud of and keep the movement rolling.

Some of you had expressed interest in maybe going to a DCU game. If that is the case, I can investigate tickets for that as well, just pick a date. I wish I could go to the Crew game on the 16th, but if I go to my parents' house (they live behind enemy lines in Mansfield, OH), I would be celebrating my dad's birthday that day, which means no Columbus trip for me.

3. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we may have a new winner: Motor City Supporters Club. I'll stick with the orange and blue as well.

4. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

Motor City Supporter Club sounds great to me. You think we should have the flag ready by the 16th?

5. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random Observation

Just randomly looking at the threads in the MLS Expansion forum, I was wondering how our current thread stacks up in terms of actual replies. I organized the posts by number of replies (highest to lowest). The original Detroit Soccer Thread is the longest thread in the forum with 1308 posts (original + 1307 replies), more than twice any other thread. What's also interesting are the other Detroit Soccer Threads:

-Detroit Soccer Thread II - 4th longest, 536 posts
    -Detroit Soccer Thread III - 6th longest, 476 posts
    -Detroit Soccer Thread V (current thread) - 9th longest, 398 posts
    -Detroit Soccer Thread IV - 15th longest, 390 posts

So, counting all the posts in all the Detroit Soccer Threads, we're looking at 3,108 posts and counting! That is simply amazing! I don't think any candidate city can boast nearly that much participation on BigSoccer. San Diego is the only other candidate city with a thread in the top 10 (they're 2nd with 616 posts)...we have 5 threads in the top 10.

Keep the movement going! We are a force!

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Re: Random Observation

That is something I've been thinking of for a bit, but never had the time to do. Good job.

The enthusiasm here is interesting and I wish I could join you all on the 16th but have other commitments. Keep going guys.

7. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this is a great idea. It would be nice if someone was to goggle "MotorCity SC" and they found an actual website. Even if the forum doesn't take off, it could be a tool to point people to the Big Soccer Detroit forum.

8. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll buy the domain motorcitysg.org if you guys want. Keep it SG not SC. Supporters Group is the common way of describing Supporters in MLS.

9. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

I'm cool with that website idea for sure...but would it be better if it was "motorcitysupporters.org"? or is that too much?

10. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would opt for the shorter name than the longer. Also, I like that this website works regardless of the name of our group and is easily and quickly said.

11. Cmoney101

Cmoney101 Member

May 19, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm cool with the nzme and any website name.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not from the area, but I think if you can use the word supporters rather than sg, you will make it more memorable.

13. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And thus begins Thread VI!

14. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we should listen to anything a SOB founder has to say.

15. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. :)

16. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is a very solid point. Thanks!

17. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this name too, and as someone else has mentioned the site works for any Detroit Supporters Group.

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started a thread in the Philadelphia/Sons of Ben forum asking for advice as how we should proceed. I hope that we can get some good ideas, including some potentially unforeseen things to avoid, as we seek to duplicate their success. What they have done is awesome, and if they take the request seriously, we could get really gain from their experience.

19. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New name new logo![​IMG]

20. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent you a PM. Not for the forums.

21. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good idea. I will follow it to see what they advise.

22. lightsmoothie

lightsmoothie New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    So I would be willing to work on web design and buy hosting. if you guys wanted to snatch up a bunch of domains, be my guest, but you will have to buy some sort of hosting plan that redirects that domain. my only concern with this is that you have to renew the domain every year and usually people forget to do this. my plan only supports 2 domains, and im already using 1 for another venture. but this early on, i dont think buying a bunch of domains is necessary.

i like mcsupporters.com and detroitsupporters.com. i agree that motorcitysupporters.com/org is too long. the url should be as short as possible.

once i/someone buys a domain, i can set up a forum right away (less than an hour) where we can discuss colors, nicknames (i still like the purple gang though it seems to be a battle ive already lost), website design in a less chaotic way. i am getting a bit annoyed at this point with this massive thread...

23. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mcsupporters sounds like you should have a logo like this

[​IMG]

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are. We should also be cognizant of the whole supporter = jock strap thing, although that might be a function of the previous generation to which I belong.

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't worry too much about the phrase supporters group. We have been referred to as a supporters club since our founding even in a predominant football town without derision.