Pre-Season Sched Announcement

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by K, Jan 25, 2008.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News Release

D.C. United Announce Preseason Schedule

Players, Staff to Gather for Training, Followed by Media Availability, Monday, January 28 at 10:30 a.m.

Washington, D.C. (January 25, 2008) - D.C. United announced today the club’s preseason schedule, as the club prepares for the 2008 CONCACAF Champions’ Cup and this year’s Major League Soccer season. The full team will report to RFK Stadium on Monday, January 28 for a 10:30 a.m. training session, followed by media availability, and will undergo closed-door fitness testing on Tuesday, January 29. United will begin pre-season training in earnest on Wednesday, January 30, when the club travels to Bradenton, FL. Other pre-season plans include trips to California and San Antonio, TX.

While in Bradenton, members of the first team will play a host of games. United will face the US U-17 National Team (2/1), the US U-23 National Team (2/2), Toronto FC (2/5) Danish club Odense (2/8) and Kansas City (2/12). The Black-and-Red will travel to the west coast for training February 15-25 and to San Antonio, TX for a preseason tournament February 29-March 10. Detailed information will be available at a later date.

D.C. United will open CONCACAF Champions’ Cup play in March by traveling to Jamaica to face Harbour View FC. The Black-and-Red will host the return leg at RFK Stadium. United’s MLS season kicks off on Saturday, March 29 when the team travels to Kansas City to face the Wizards at their new stadium, CommunityAmerica Ballpark. The team will return to D.C. for a Saturday home-opener versus Toronto FC. Kick-off at RFK Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on April 5.

Details of D.C. United’s preseason schedule are listed below, though the schedule is subject to change. Members of the media planning to attend a preseason practice or game should contact the D.C. United communications staff in advance.

D.C. United 2008 Preseason Schedule (all times EST):
    Monday, January 28: Training at RFK Stadium (10:30 a.m.)
    Tuesday, January 29: Fitness Testing, no media availability
    Wednesday, January 30-Thursday, February 12: Training in Bradenton, FL
    Friday, February 1: Match v. U17s
    Saturday, February 2: Match v. U23s
    Wednesday, February 5: Match v. Toronto FC
    Friday, February 8: Match v. Odense (Denmark)
    Tuesday, February 12: Match v. Kansas City
    February 15-25: West Coast
    Friday, February 29 - Monday, March 10: San Antonio
    March 11-13: CONCACAF Champions’ Cup Match at Harbour View FC (Jamaica)
    March 18-20: CONCACAF Champions’ Cup Match v. Harbour View FC at RFK.

Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the organization, please refer to the team as either “D.C. United” or “United,” but not “the D.C. United” or “the United.” We appreciate your cooperation.

--- www.dcunited.com ---

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean that the team will be working literally INSIDE the stadium walls, or is it that they will out on the fields next to the stadium? I would go over to the monday practice if they were going to be training outside, since i assume that any practice inside RFK will be closed to the public.

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPDATE FROM TODAY:

Additional preseason exhibitions added to D.C. United schedule

Black-and-Red closes preseason with March 22 match in Richmond, VA

Washington, D.C. (January 31, 2008) - D.C. United announced today plans for a preseason exhibition in Richmond, VA with the USL-2 Richmond Kickers, Saturday, March 22. Kick-off for the game is set for 7:00 p.m. at the University of Richmond Stadium. This preseason exhibition will serve as United’s final warm-up game prior to the start of the MLS season. General admission tickets are $15/person and can be ordered in advance via www.RichmondKickers.com. The game will also mark the end of a preseason schedule that includes trips to Bradenton, FL, central and southern California and San Antonio, TX as the club prepares for the 2008 CONCACAF Champions’ Cup and this year’s Major League Soccer season.

“We are once again pleased that we will have the opportunity to play the Kickers in a friendly match,” said United General Manager Dave Kasper. “We look forward to a great evening of soccer in the Richmond.”

Currently training in Bradenton, the Black-and-Red are scheduled for a host of open scrimmages at IMG Academy. United will face the US U-17 National Team (2/1), the US U-23 National Team (2/2), Toronto FC (2/5) Danish club Odense (2/8) and Kansas City (2/12). United will travel to the west coast for training February 15-25, including a closed-door scrimmage in Los Angeles with Chivas USA February 18 and an exhibition with the San Jose Earthquakes in San Luis Obispo, CA on February 24. Tickets to the Earthquakes game at Alex Spanos Stadium are available for purchase online at www.gopoly.com and over the phone at (805) 756-5806. Tickets can also be purchased in person at the Cal Poly Ticket Office by the Rec Center. The club moves on to San Antonio, TX for a preseason tournament February 29-March 10, with matches set for Wednesday, March 4 (Houston), Friday, March 6 (Toronto FC), and Sunday, March 8 (Chivas USA). Tickets to the matches at Steele High School can be ordered on-line at www.texasprosoccerfest.com.

D.C. United will open CONCACAF Champions’ Cup play in mid-March by traveling to Jamaica to face Harbour View FC. The Black-and-Red will host the return leg at RFK Stadium. United’s MLS season kicks off on Saturday, March 29 when the team travels to Kansas City to face the Wizards at their new stadium, CommunityAmerica Ballpark. The team will return to D.C. for a Saturday home-opener versus Toronto FC. Kick-off at RFK Stadium is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on April 5.

--- www.dcunited.com

4. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sweet, I'll be at the richmond game

Pedro

5. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    DC United 6 USA 0!

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/tea...t_id=137454&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

OK, it was the U-17s. But after we've won the CONCACAF Champions Cup, US Open Cup, Super Liga, Supporter's Shield, MLS Cup and have just crushed Manchester United 5-0 to lift the World Club Champions Trophy in Japan we'll all look back to this result and say, "this is where it all started."

Unless the U-23s derail our unstoppable march tomorrow...

6. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Stratford contributed! Go WVU alumni!. Reminds me of how McTavish scored against Getafe last preseason. I was like "This is as close as this guy is ever gonna get to playing for DC United".

Statford Now!

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Huh? I thought that was Filomeno. We lost 3-1 if i remember right.

8. dcLIZunited

dcLIZunited New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Lot 8, RVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Hope to see some folks at the Richmond game! UofR Stadium has great, close, general admission seating, and the Kickers usually come out for a good game. No drinking inside the stadium though. ;)

Seriously though...anyone that's planning to come down for the game (which is on a Saturday), definitely let us Richmonders know so we can meet up!

9. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United

The wife and I plan on it...... And I have already begun the conversation with others about a road trip down......

What's the situation with tailgating? Do the Kickers allow alcohol consumption in the parking lot pre game?

Is there bar or pub with in walking distance that we can take over? Imagine the corteo !!!!

Rready for the kickers, with flask in hand.

10. dcLIZunited

dcLIZunited New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Lot 8, RVA
    Club:
    DC United
    I usually try to park in the surrounding neighborhood, where we've definitely had beers before (in other cups, of course). I'm not sure about tailgating in the parking lot, but I have a feeling you're not supposed to have containers out in the open...I've always just poured beers into a to-go/cup.

As for the bar/pub within walking distance...it depends on how far you want to walk, haha. Pretty much no though...from the stadium we would have to drive to a bar that doesn't suck.

They do glance at your bags when you come in, but I've seen people get flasks in, so that's an option if you want to drink during the game.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I might end up most likely in richmond too! I got a cousin who lives there cause she goes to VCU. Stay there, watch the game and party saturday night. SOunds like a win-win!

12. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Going to be in LA for a couple of weeks for work and thinking of hitting the game in San Luis Obispo - anyone else considering it?

13. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had a few beers in the parking lot and like Liz said just put in a plastic cup and had no problems. I haven't seen anyone grilling but I also haven't been to that many games. The usual meeting place pre-game is Bandito's. Avoid parking in the parking lots if at all possible the become a complete cluster-f*ck after the game. Hope to see a lot of DC folks come down.

14. tileman

tileman New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Dumfries, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How close is U of R to Richards.

15. dcLIZunited

dcLIZunited New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Lot 8, RVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not within walking distance, but it's not horribly far. They recently moved to Scott's Addition instead of being on Broad by the Ford dealership.

For those of you coming down for the game - keep in mind, the game is not actually at the University of Richmond, but at the UofR Stadium. They are not located near each other!

16. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Anyone have further news on United's time in California? I've heard they'll be in Camarillo on Friday. I'm wondering about practice times, locations, the SLO game versus San Jose, etc.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well according to goff, they will be off to Camarillo, how far is that from you? Do you think you can give us updates like Diceson did with Bradenton?

18. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...from a DC United press release:

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080131&content_id=137354&vkey=pr_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

19. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll try to make the SLO game. Camarillo is about an hour north of LA. If I can find out some practice times, I'll do my best to offer a write-up of my impressions. Though I doubt they'll approach the quality of Diceson's. Anyone with inside info know when and where in Camarillo DC will practice and when/where they'll play Chivas on the 18th? (I'm guessing HDC auxiliary fieds?)

20. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bro I dont think most would care. Other wise we have little to go by.