Starting 11 with Existing Personnel

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I have thinking more of potential tactics that RSL might employ next season, which is way too premature I know. However, this also got me to thinking of our existing personnel and how to use them. Hopefully there will be many positive additions to our club, but if not I'm not sure the situation is horrible (except maybe the backline).

First of all, I think we may consider a 4-3-3 with our existing personnel. This might make the most of what we have:

Goalkeeper - Rimando (Seitz at times)

Defenders - Sturgis, Mantilla, Wingert and 1 other player (Besagno, Kotschau, Lancos, Kirby?) The Sturgis/Mantilla combination if it materializes makes me nervous, but also could be very good. The backline is where I think we need some additions the most.

Midfielders - Talley, Beckerman, Morales. If Morales continues to show what we got a brief glimpse of last season this could be a very solid group. With this formation there will be pressure on Findley and Espindola to get back and defend. Espindola at times seemed reluctant to do so last season (ala Adu). Probably not Findley's strength either. This could put alot of pressure on the backline.

Forwards - Findley, Movsisyan, Espindola. This could be an interesting combination. Movsisyan could play up top in a target role (which I understand he doesn't like). Findley making timed runs from a withdrawn position. Either working off of Movsisyan receiving the long ball or off of Morales and Espindola with well placed through balls. Espindola and Morales will be the creative ones when the ball gets into the final 3rd. Wingert could continue his play of getting forward and delivering crosses from out on the wing. If the other outside back is Kotschau there won't be much offensive support there. It seems like this group could score some goals.

Supersub: Andy Williams (not alot left on the bench - maybe K. Brown?)

This isn't actually a bad lineup in my view, except maybe the backline. Unfortunately we may realize how good Pope really was this season. Of course, any upgrades to any of these players would be a welcome thing. And we are in great need of quality depth.

Thoughts?

(PS - Yes this thread is an attempt to divert energy away from drama)

2. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Analysis. It matches my thoughts of what we would look like. I hope these potential int'l signings (hopefully will be real soon) will help bring in some more starting talent, and pushing some of our current starters to the bench as depth to bring higher competition for the starting lineup. Im hoping to see Andy Iro or Julian Valentin picked up in the draft.

I notice I use the word "hope" alot when talking about RSL, I wonder why?????? :)

3. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. I hope to see more threads like this.

Ok here's what I think:

Under a 4-5-1

Rimando between the pipes. I hope he can continue where he left off last season. I would play Seitz more than he did last year, but Rimando should get the majority of the games as long as he stays in form.

Wingert, Sturgis, Mantilla, Kotschau in the back. I have not seen Sturgis play on the back line much, but his composure has to be a big plus back there, especially working next to Mr. Energy who can surprise you sometimes with his "outside the box" play style (which I love to watch). Wingert is a solid player who can make runs forward and is a pretty good crosser of the ball. Kotschau, though not spectacular and gives you little offense, is a solid defender. I did not see him make many mistakes last year.

Espindola, Talley, Beckerman, Williams, Morales in the midfield. I love the aggressive and attack minded play of Espindola. Talley should still be solid, Beckerman...enough said, Williams for more creativity (one of the funnest players to watch on the team. Makes me chuckle every time he possesses the ball and no one can get it from him - I love it). I just can't wait to see what a healthy Morales can do when he gets in a groove. He should bring more creativity to our play (we sorely lacked this last year).

Findley would be my first pick on this formation, with Morales and Williams feeding him the ball to utilize his pace. Movsisyan could also be good here and maybe Eski. If Eski is still around this season, I hope he can be more productive. I loved everything about the guy last year except for his stats. And where is the left foot that I've heard so much about? Espindola, Williams, Morales, Beckerman, Talley, and Wingert can be pushed forward as needed.

Under a 4-4-2

Same back line.

Espindola, Beckerman, Morales, Williams/Talley in the mid.

Movsisyan and Findley up top.

4-3-3

Same back line.

Williams/Talley, Beckerman, Morales in the mid

Espindola, Movsisyan, and Findley up top.

I think Williams and Talley would get good minutes in any of these formations, but I would use them according to our offensive/defensive needs as dictated by the game situation.

I think RSL could be successful with these players, but the definition of success here would be having a great chance of making the playoffs. I believe with 2-3 solid additions to our squad we could even have a chance of making it past the first round of the playoffs. We definitely need additions to our back line. I feel good about our midfield, but if we can improve more, I'm all for it. A DP spot used up front for a consistent goal scorer who will take advantage of our opportunities would be fantastic. I just don't get the feeling the FO is ready to make that investment yet. Still, I'll keep praying to the soccer gods every day.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was this, what I think it would look like is "out of the playoffs," so I think I'll pass on the imaginings of the actual lineup. :)

5. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Um, there is a problem...the bolded players don't play much if any defense...and Talley couldn't win any loose balls or 1v1 battles last year. RSL would never see the ball in this line-up, but they would be fun those few times they had the ball (you know, kick-offs after the other team scores because our back 4 couldn't keep everyone out for the whole game.)

6. futbol_dude3

futbol_dude3 Member

Jul 15, 2006
    4-4-2
    Lancos-Sturgis-Mantilla-Wingert
    ----Espy-Beckerman- ?
    ---------- Morales
    ------Movsisyan-Findley

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

I think Espy needs to have more of an attacking role - pure striker or withdrawn forward I'm not sure. Maybe a winger, but I don't see him in an outside mid role like you have him here. That's my initial impression of his skills, but who knows?

Also, if the news about Ian Joy and Matias Cordoba is a reality then this should be an upgrade with left back where we had a hole and maybe Cordoba is a replacement for Talley. Not sure that this changes Ismitje's "out of playoff" verdict but who knows.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the beauty of an "existing personnel" thread: any time we add someone, he becomes part of our existing personnel and we can go at it again! :)

9. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    kyle has stated many times that he likes being a two way midfielder and likes to play in the 451 or 352 formations the best. He plays best when he is not restricted to going forward.

10. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Esky to be traded to the Goats.

11. ravenrooney

ravenrooney Member

Sep 21, 2006
    ------Rimando------
    -?*-Mantilla-Sturgis-Wingert
    -------Beckerman---------
    -Williams---Espindola----
    -------Morales------------
    --Findley--Movsisyan---

* (Please, not Lancos. Please.)

12. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    -------Rimando--------
    -Wingert-Mantilla-?-Joy-
    --Beckerman--Sturgis--
    Cordova---------Morales
    --Findley--Movsisyan--

Maybe that new 6-5 kid as the "?" if we get him in the draft.

13. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I'd be surprised to not see Espindola on the pitch. Maybe...

-Wingert-Mantilla-Sturgis-Joy
    --------Beckerman----------
    -Cordoba-Morales-Espindola-
    ----Findlay---Movsisyan----

From what I have read of Cordoba, and from what we saw of Morales and Espindola, and if Findlay can take what he did last year to the next level, and if Movsisyan can find a groove with RSL (lots of ifs, huh?) then this could be a potent lineup. Beckerman will be in a destroyer role, and if Espindola and friends don't backtrack on "d" this could put alot of pressure on the backline.

Of course, Joy and Espindola still don't qualify as "existing personnel", but maybe they will soon.

14. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Depending on how good Cordoba is, I see Espindola and Williams as backups. The 2 D-Mids should help alleviate some of the defensive pressure that comes with 4 offensive-only minded players towards the offensive half of the field.

15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    That surprises me - there were 2 or 3 games at the end of the year where I thought Espindola was maybe our best player on the pitch. He has good ball skills which is something we have lacked out of an offensive player. He can get off crosses, and isn't shy about taking shots. We got such a brief glimpse of him that it's hard to say, but I'd like to see us starting him either in a forward role or out on the wing.

16. Aerick

Aerick New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Good point. I'd feel better about having him replace Movsisyan, at forward, then.

17. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since, Kreis was really pushing the 4-3-3, this is how I might see it:
    ------------Rimando-------------
    -Wingert--Sturgis-Mantilla--Forko-
    ------Beckerman---Cordoba------
    ------------Morales--------------
    ---Findley------------Espindola---
    -----------Movsisyan------------

I believe Forko will be replaced by someone though, but this is existing personnel (Cordoba deal seems pretty much done). Beckerman will have more focus on defense where as Cordoba will push a little more. Espindola and Findley will be expected to defend the side backs pushing forward. Where as Movsisyan is going to be up high a lot and hold the ball and run at defenses 1 on 1, plus his big body hopefully can help by getting on the end of crosses (thats assuming our crosses will improve this year). But, so much is going to happen over these next couple of weeks to change things, and then not to mention camp will stir things up.

I have a feeling that one of the bigger battles this camp will be between the keepers. Rimando's coming into camp with the position, but I think Seitz athleticism and size plus his U-20 experience and MNT camps will have him in the form we need.

18. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple thoughts:

- I don't think Forko is on the team anymore.
    - I don't see any way Talley is not on the field. Not because he always deserves it but because of some universal mystery.

Any lineup for next year with existing personnel will be a disaster and will leave RSL at the bottom again. They really need 3-4 starter upgrades to even be consistently competitive. Let's hope that most if not all of the rumored acquisitions pan out as MLS starter quality or it will be another case of "The more things change, the more things stay the same."

19. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, there is no way I leave Espindola off the field. He showed attacking skills that I didn't see from anyone else on the team.

No way does Forko make it in.

We proved at the end of last season that we are at least competitive with the players we have now, and that was with an injured Morales and no Sturgis. We weren't great, but we were far from a disaster at that point. I do agree that we need at least 3-4 good "direct-impact" signings. And improving the back line is paramount to having any success next year. Hopefully some of the acquisitions will pan out for us like we hope.

I have no problem with Talley coming in off the bench or playing a role when we are short on personnel for whatever reason, but unless his form from two seasons ago returns I think an upgrade is needed in his spot (Cordoba?).

20. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, now that I put thought into that spot. I forgot about Kotschau. He will be there, not Forko (he may have been released, I can't remember). But, I am really hoping they fill left-back with a good signing. One that can also attack well.

Since, everyone keeps bringing up the what signings we should be getting this is what I want our lineup to be.

----------------Seitz------------------
    -Wingert---Sturgis--Mantilla---Signing--
    ------Beckerman--------Talley---------
    ---------------Cordoba----------------
    ---------------Morales----------------
    --------Signing------Espindola----------

Bench: Rimando, Iro or other drafted Back, Kotschau, Signing/Draft, Andy Williams, Findley, Movsisyan

21. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kotschau retired and is no longer with the team.

22. jeito

jeito Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you will see Sturgis on the back line, I think he will stay in midfield. Thoughts?

23. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think it will be the other way around. He plays center back for the jr Nats and RSL has 2 d-mids in front of him on the depth chart and a real need for someone to step up and play center back. Barring injury to either Talley or Beckerman, he won't play much in the midfield with a healthy Morales and/or perhaps Cordoba.

24. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I must really be out of sync with some transactions.

25. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I missed this as well. I think he just didn't want to come back for another round of misery.