Seaon opener rumor ? TFC @ Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MJ_in_Pitt, Dec 4, 2007.

1. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
  2. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, so we can get embarrassed by having more away supporters than home supporters right from the get go? If it's anywhere as cold as this past season's opener, that's exactly what will happen.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, time to get creative and inspire people to come out (special adult hot chocolate to keep warm?). I think we can find ways to inspire our fellow core supporters to take the battle to the frozen tundra and repell the flacid Canadian invasion attempt.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Lord, if TFC actually gets some official buses organized, they're going to bring 500 people! Maybe even more!

The only good news is that I noticed the season opener is part of that 5-game Beckham Holiday pack the Crew is selling. So maybe we'll have a fair number of fans too.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  6. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Badass. 6 points from the first two games.

Can we have Real Salt Lake next?

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some liquid evil chili as well... hmmm... we'll get the job done one way or another. But knowing my luck, I'll have drill on that Saturday.

8. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    Looks like the mighty TFC will open what will become our 1st undefeated season against the Crew. I bet hearing that news has put a dampner on your plans to party this Christmas!!

Absolutely a brilliant idea from our perspective as it is close enough to home to turn this in to a TFC home game (lol). We understand the weather in Ohio is almost balmy this time of year so sitting outside should be a blast.

Hey guys and girls - all kidding aside - Merry Christmas, Seasons Greetings and all the best to you in to the New Year. Once the shock of all this wears off can you post some hotels etc in the area that you would recommend. I most likely will drive down with my wife and kids and will leave the buses to our storm troopers so will need to sort out my own accommodation.:D

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell the folks on the red patch board that this year's season opener was below freezing and it snowed during the game. Hopefully the weather next year will be much nicer, but I hope no one up there thinks they're going to Miami.

10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, the problem with playing Toronto in the season opener is that we have to listen to crap like this for months rather than a few weeks.

11. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's funny that the league is hesitant to give us a home game too early in the season, but they'll schedule us at Columbus (the weather is exactly the same).

12. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Must be nice having your FO pay for your road trips, huh? :rolleyes:

13. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The supporters groups in Toronto have never had the FO pay for any of our trips (Foxboro, Columbus twice, Chicago, New York, DC), and they don't plan on starting any time soon. :rolleyes:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=4514

The team's buses will likely be filled with more casual fans (that have never traveled before), and will be far tamer than what the supporters groups have grown accustomed to.

14. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to start passing my rep out to other people because there have been several occassion lately where I can't help HHM out with a little rep.

I think a little atomic chilli and the special hot drinks would be an awesome tailgate. I bet even if we have the same weather we had for this year's opener, we'll see a bunch of tfc fans going around shirtless to prove how tough they are up in the igloos of toronto.

15. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    But according to "mlsintoronto" who works for the club they will be paying this time, won't they? :rolleyes:

That's why all the retards on the RPB site are going on and on about how they'll be bringing 500 people as opposed to the 50-60 over weight snobs they brought before.

It will be intereting to see how many actually make the trip since they have an away game at DC the next week.

16. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I only got past the first sentence.

Phrase, "Hated Crew"

Crew fans and front office should be salivating at the prospect that there's a team that wants them as a rival. Especially, a franchise that is on the upswing.

Take advantage of that.

17. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    The only problem with that is our FO is as clueless as they come. Hell, sometimes it seems they are clueless by choice LOL.

You know I had always heard that people from TO could be snobby (from other Canadians no less). But it wasn't until I read their little supporters sites that I really began to believe it. Very disappointing.

18. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, "mlsintoronto" is actually TFC's business director (the defacto GM along with MoJo), but as I said, those buses will likely be filled with more casual fans, as the supporters groups tend to do their own organizing.

As for your remark that there were only 50-60 people at Crew Stadium last time, it was more like 200 in May and another 100 in July. But who's counting? :rolleyes:

To be fair, it could have very easily said "hated DC" or "hated Red Balls". Luck of the draw, I guess. :D

Although I do think that due to proximity Columbus will become a rival, maybe even our main rival. At least until Montreal joins the league.

19. TFC07

TFC07 Member

May 19, 2007
    Brampton, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    where do i sign up for free bus ride to see TFC beat (s)crew?

I hope it snows during the game. :)

20. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not sure, but I highly doubt you'll find a place to sign up in this forum...

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, sparky... probably not on our board. Beat it, hoser.

22. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Wow. Apparently we are the big First Kick game on ABC this year. http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/events/

MARCH 29, 2008
    MLS First Kick
    Toronto FC at Columbus Crew,
    Columbus Crew, TIME TBD, ABC

Must be a typo right? They're really showcasing us over David Beckham?

23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been focusing Beckham all offseason. First this Oceania/ Asia tour, then the Pan Pacific Championship, featuring the champions of the J-League, A-League, MLS, and the Galaxy in Hawaii. They're playing so much that I'm actually starting to feel sorry for their players except for pig-f*cker, I mean Martino. Everyone's going to be so sick of Beckham by the season opener. Hell, I was sick of him before he even put on a Galaxy shirt.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Probably the Spice Girls Reunion Tour being the headlining act prior to the game on our brand new stage.

25. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH

Stamatopoulos! Hesmer! The battle for 6th place starts...NOW! Only on ABC!