Sir Alex: Challenges for MLS/Beckham

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Sep 5, 2007.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Fergie: Beckham won't convert USA - RivalsDM

not sure what RivalsDM is, but this was an excellent read.

Sir Alex Ferguson gives some excellent observations on the challenges MLS (and now Beckham) face in the US.

----------
    David Beckham faces a near-impossible task to turn football into one of the USA's major sports, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.
    ----------

2. GooolGolGool

GooolGolGool New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As soon as we finish up work on that teleportation system for fans, MLS is going to be MASSIVE.

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When in doubt, blame the woman.

Ferguson, whose relationship with Beckham soured before he sold him to Real Madrid in 2003, also offered fresh evidence of his belief that the player's marriage to his pop-star wife Victoria had changed his focus away from football.

When asked if Beckham was difficult to deal with at United, the 65-year-old said: "He was never a problem until he got married. He used to go into work with the academy coaches at night time, he was a fantastic young lad.

"Getting married into that entertainment scene was a difficult thing - from that moment his life was never going to be the same"

5. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense to Alex Ferguson, but he really doesn't know what the bloody hell he is talking bout. Uh, hello Alex- all other American sports are doing fine without having away fans traveling from city to city!? I understand that traveling fans are one of the cool things about the English game but it doesn't mean anything over here and never will.

And let's be honest. Do you think anyone in America knew who Beckenbauer, Shilton, and Cruyff were in the the 70's? No one outside of tiny soccer circles did, but everyone in the world knows who David Beckham is, - soccer fan or not. There's a big difference there sir.

Honestly, this interview sounds like sour grapes to me. Someone is a little jealous of Posh Spice and his name is Awex Foiguson.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) He's correct about the challenges in the US w.r.t. the difficulties of supporter travel. This is really an indictment of the sport itself: without regional, urban, sectarian, and racial rivalries a lot of the fun and excitement of the sport is gone. Which is why the US "homegrown" sports have complicated rules to keep things exciting.

2) Brian McBride did not go to England when he was young. Depending on your definition of young, neither did Friedel or Dempsey.

3) From all accounts Beckham did not have much of a social life growing up. So SAF blasts him for spending time with his wife? Perhaps SAF needs a job as a plantation boss somewhere.

7. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yerp.

But the facts have never interfered with his opinions before. But hey, at least he knows where America is. And that we kick a ball every now and then.

And of course: A public swipe at a former protege's marriage. Pure class.

I propose the title of this thread be changed to "NEWSFLASH: Sir Alex Still a Dick."

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i was hoping to keep this thread a bit more "MLS N&A"-oriented.

whether or not the guy is "Still a Dick," he does seem to have an understanding of what the sport, league and its star(s) face(s) in this country.

Personality aside, I tend to agree with Ferguson's take on the current situation, as opposed to someone like Chinaglia and his views/opinions.

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving us a choice between Ferguson and Chinaglia is like advising Captain Jack that he must choose between Scylla and Charybdis :rolleyes:
    Ferguson's take is about as "spot on" as Chinaglia's at a love reunion of the old Cosmos squad, but less objective and far less informed. The aim of the MLS is not to supplant baseball, or football, or basketball in the heart of american sport. It is to become a strong and successful league which sustains a healthy love of the sport in this country, both at the domestic and international levels. In the end, Fergie is snarking at David by setting up a pathetic strawman and having his way with him. Very very unclear on the concept :D

10. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I do not know much about this country's sports history, but I bet in the early years of Baseball, Boston Red Sox did not travel all the way to LA to play the games..., or did they?

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a long time, IIRC, St. Louis and Chicago were the "far west" outposts of baseball.

12. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, as a Redskins fan, I'd really hate those Cowboys if only they weren't all the way in Dallas...

Put the pipe down, old man.

13. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with Sir Alex's assessment, while distance can indeed be a factor it is not definitive. One need only look at the NFL to see that distance by itself is not a killer to atmosphere (traveling fans or no traveling fans). What football and baseball have in this country is simply time on their side--they have each been around since the 1800's. Let the MLS prove that it can stick around and slowly its own traditions, its own history, its own passionate fans, and its own fun stadium atmosphere will come. The positive on the side of MLS is that in modern times success can happen fairly quickly. The NBA is certainly much younger than both the NFL and MLB and it found success relatively quickly (within 20 years or so). Marketable stars, false hype (which over time becomes real hype), and TV coverage are absolutely essential in the new era of sports. MLS seems to be taking baby steps in the right direction.

14. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    From 1903 until the mid 50's baseball had 16 teams that never move. All teams were in the Northeast and Midwest up until that point. A lot cities had 2 teams as well but they played in different leagues and therefore never had derbies (except for the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers) unless they met in the World Series.

15. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Additionally, huge scores of traveling fans in Europe is one of the main causes of the hooliganism and violence that has marred the game there in varying degrees for decades. That's one part of European football I can certainly do without in American soccer.

16. FWSCKEEPER

FWSCKEEPER New Member

Aug 22, 2001
    The Summit City
    My interpetation of the Posh thing is that it was not neccessarily his marriage to her per say or her as a person, but that he married into the entertainment business itself , and that created the person that we have now ' Becks'

17. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I (infrequently) go to Oakland A's games (boring, yes, but great seats thanks to my wife's firm), and when they play the Yankees or the Cubs or the Sox or even Seattle -- the place is lousy with opposing fans.

Which could speak to a couple things:
    -- the transient nature of the modern US population;
    -- the transplant nature of the Bay Area population;
    -- the life long, family traditions of support enjoyed by historic clubs;
    -- the broader support base of baseball.

True, Revs fans aren't hitching a ride to LA for a match at the Home Depot Center. And my brethren in LA have reported how great/hostile the atmosphere was during the Pachuca and other SuperLiga matches with a critical mass of opposing fans (and some bandwagoning Mexican futbol fans). So El Ferg does have a defensible point -- at the moment.

But time is on our side -- and hopefully we won't have to be kicked out of international club play due to fan violence on our way to more solidified and broad support for many clubs across the country.

All of this deeply critical thinking on this MLS news story is, however, still wildly subservient to the overarching fact that Sir Alex has been, continues to be, and will always be a massive asshat.

One man's analysis.

EDIT: props to KennyWoo for preempting one of my comments.

18. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    That's Sir Alex to you man.

19. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is correct, bottom line is Beckham can't do it alone. His overhype and now knee injury has put the MLS on the comics section of the paper...

MLS needs to work on scheduling and getting/keeping homegrown players or else it's going to be a stepping stone league for young US talent, and a retirement home for out of their prime talent.

The ultimate dream would be to have the MLS play at the same schedule as other world leagues (I guess we have to go neck and neck with NFL and build domed fields so we can play in cold climate). But 'dream' is the keyword...

I continue to love MLS and hope for good things, but it's a hard climb!

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until the mid 1950s, the furthest west any baseball team had to travel was St. Louis. With the advent of commercial air-travel, it became possible for teams to be located on the west coast. The Giants and Dodgers moved from New York to California, and the upstart AFL also included football teams on the West Coast for the first time.

So you're right, until the airplane, the west coast was off limits to the big leagues.

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 49ers and Rams predated the AFL by 14 years.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Fergie opining on MLS is like asking Frank Yallop to elaborate on the state of football in Australia. Or Dom Kinnear making observations on the state of football in Japan.

Anyone ever stop and think that a premiership manager is not likely to have much time and motivation to keep up with the intricacies of our league? Personally I think the average MLS N/A poster has a lot more to offer on the subject.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Zis is not troo. Supporters also do a lot of advertisement for the club, so one could say that they bring in more than they chase away.

Hooliganism and supporter culture can be mutually exclusive. That what you're saying there is typical British propaganda used to surpress their supporters. One only needs to go to Germany, Holland, Denmark, Belgium or France and see that like 97% of matches are incident free, and yet there are away fans at every match basically. And they do it in the traditional way, standing, usually on terraces.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny that you mention that, because George Allen manufactured this rivalry.

25. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Completely untrue, that is just pure macaca. :D