New York Times Article

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Len, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Didn't see this posted anywhere else:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/sports/soccer/29soccer.html

May be nothing really new here - I haven't followed things closely, lately - but I found the tone of this kind of interesting:

Regarding Spartan Stadium; "Wolff’s offer to finance a new stadium there was rejected. “I may never know the real reason why,” Wolff said. “And I don’t really care.”"

The rest talks about where the Earthquakes will probably play until the stadium is built, and interest from the Sharks.

2. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos

Thanks for the link Len.

Add the NY Times to the group who cover the Quakes with feature while the Murk reporters sit on their typing fingers.

3. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh mann, I hope SF, or at least Stanford, gets a few games as well. Oh well, pickers can't be choosers so I'll probably go to SCU and the Colisseum (or whatever its current name is) if they play there.

You know, this article should be in the daily news thread. :)

4. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it'll be there tomorrow. Check the date on the article, its the 29th. It was written in the future (*cue science fiction movie music*)

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily, he doesn't listen to Ann Killion.

"The hospitality industry is a shaky investment, full of over-the-hill resorts and unambitious young motels."

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The San Jose Earthquakes has always been the Bay Area's MLS team and Northern California's MLS team as a whole... and the San Jose Earthquakes will be once again. It's just that this ownership will let everyone know of that. ;)

If there's to be a second New York MLS team, it'll hopefully be called the New York Cosmos (just as the likely Seattle MLS team should be called the Seattle Sounders). :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool.

I like the franchises using the traditional names. It acknowledges that even though the pro soccer business hasn't been run very well in many instances, representing the local soccer community is a key part of any team's mission.

In other words, the uniform stands for something bigger than the players, the managers and the owners. Too bad not everyone who owns a slice of MLS understands that.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean that the New York Times is a better paper than the Murky? :rolleyes:

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It may one day pass the Murk as the paper of record.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SSV's take on the article can be found here.

-G

11. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Murk is dead to me.

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me unexcited about the Sharks becoming part of the ownership group.

I Love the idea of the Quakes playing in different venues throughout Northern California. Its a real opportunity for Sacramento to show if they have the chops to fully support a MLS club of their own.

BTW, I got to see UC Davis's new football stadium. The stadium itself is very nice and modern. However, field turf is used with permanent American football lines. I read recently the stadium seats 9 or 10,000. I had thought it was a 20K stadium, but that must be part of another phase.

Here's a pic:

http://www.aggiepack.com/graphics/Pictures/football/new_fb_stadium1.jpg

Sac State and Sac City College would also be viable choices. I think.

13. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

That comment by Ann Killion is pretty funny when directed at Lew Wolff. His hotel interests pretty much only include high end properties. Some of them have been around for a while, but they are hardly "over the hill resorts and unambitious motels."

I am still trying to figure out the MN writers' beef with Wolff.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead to me is the Murk - William Shakespeare

15. etastic

etastic New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento, ugggh. Noone wants to goto Sactown to watch a game, especially in the heat of the summer. Seriously, Sacramento? damn.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when taking out the McAfee Coliseum games out of the equation, I doubt that it'll be an even split between Santa Clara University and Sacramento. There'll likely be only a few games in Sacramento at the most (hopefully none of them will be a Thursday game, though).

-G

17. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i looked up the SCU stadium website and it says that it can only seat
    about 7k...isnt that an insult? Is that all Wolff thinks would show up
    for an MLS game in the Bay Area? That stadium isnt big enough- maybe for a practice site or to play KC. Why isnt he preparing for attendance to be 20k like the expectation for every other major cosmopolitan area of the continent?

18. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wants to let this guy have it??

:D

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's my favorite new boogieman. But I'm sure I'll get over it after the Murk gets sold and converted to a free daily with lots of used-car ads.

20. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

You obviously have not been following the stadium issue very closely. If Buck Shaw Stadium is to be used, it is likely that the capacity will be expanded with temporary seating, bringing it up to somewhere in the 12K to 15K range. It's been done before for the NCAA women's soccer finals. There are likely to be games that require a larger facility, such as the home opener, LA or Houston. Those would be played elsewhere. When Columbus comes to town, especially if it is Wednesday, Buck Shaw will be more than enough.

The real marketing will be taking place during the temporary stadium phase. We know the die-hards will be there, no matter what. Wolff's problem really revolves getting the interest of another 8K to 12K who currently don't call themselves "Earthquake fans". Getting those people to show up consistently is not going to be easy.

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You sure like hating on every city around these parts. Sacramento is fine, just a little far for some.

22. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Sacramento games are not part of the season ticket packages. (I say that as someone who did travel to watch the Quakes play a Champions Cup match there five or six years ago.) But if they wanna play U.S. Open Cup games or other matches that are not part of the season ticket cost, that's cool.

By the way, is this the first time we've seen "very likely" and specific locations in the same sentence?

Any guesses where the team will stay for away games? Could do a lot worse, I suspect. :D

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Was that the famous CD Olimpia game? That is the coldest I have ever been at a soccer game!!!!

[​IMG]

24. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was in March 2002 vs. CD Olimpia at Sheldon Florin H.S. in Elk Grove. I remember it being surprisingly cold, too. We took our young niece and two nephews who live there to the game, and when their parents called at halftime, the first thing one of them said was, "Daddy, I'm cold!" We haven't been asked to babysit since... :D

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You want some cheese with that whine?
    What are you, some kind of candy-ass? Grow a pair, suck it up and go to the games.