2007-2008 UEFA Champions League [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by blanc, Aug 27, 2007.

1. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As impressed by a similar thread on another teams forum, I have decided to open one up now; let's hope this thread has lots of staying power, especially as the Champion's League actually begins :D

Heres my opinions, right now, of the big teams (beware the wall's of text):

RM: Well, I don't know what to say. So many posters who are not RM fans (in our forums) have been coining us as favourites (lots of Dutchmen in this, hehe :D) to take out both the La Liga (Barcelona anyone? In that case, Valencia, Sevilla and Atletico too?) and the Champion's League.

My opinion? Well, we are now stacked to pieces with lots of talent, and removed quite alot of deadwood (some defenders and Emerson comes to mind), and replaced highly influential players (RC, Beckham) with talented youth who loosely fit in (Drenthe, Robben, also Heinze). While you can argue this means we have depth in spades, you can also argue the huge number of players who could probably command 1st team places on other big teams will not be happy with bench time.

However, we have recruited wisely, lots of youth, and seemed to have retained our team mentality we procured on the way to our 30th title last season, while gently implementing in the newcomers. To be honest, I can see us going quite far in the competition, it has been far too long, Schuster may be new but he has guile and is a wily old fox (Getafe 4-0 Barca, anyone?). I can see us riding lots of luck, but also steamrolling teams, almost always against the odds.

We have a squad of 'Galacticos' now, not just afew superstars which result in the team falling apart when they are injured/tired/ego'ing. Especially after watching our attacking performance against Atletico, where we went behind quite freakishly in the first minute, before coming from behind to win 2-1. Predict: Semi Finals

Barcelona: The 'Fantastic Four' has alot to live up to this season, and the scary thing is there is next to no reason why they cannot mesh together (Henry has never been a technical slouch), but the realistic (and equally scary impression) is that usually only three of them will be fielded as a time, ensuring there is a monster on the bench that can be subbed on, ready to rip through tiring defenses.

Likewise, defensively they have strengthened, and also El Puyol will be back from injury around the time the CL gets abit more serious, meaning they will have that X factor of leadership he provides just when it gets more important. Of course, players like Henry, Eto'o, Ronaldinho, and Messi can all change a game singlehandedly.

To be honest, I expect a HUGE battle for La Liga supremacy this year. But I can also see this Barcelona team losing 4-0 in the Champion's League in the 75th minute, only for FR to sub off Oleguer for Henry/Messi to come on, and for Barca to win 5-4. In all seriousness. Predict: Semi Finals

Manchester United: To be honest, I never considered Manchester United final material last season, especially as hysteria built up as they beat ze Roman's 7-1. Of course, in the Kaka/Real Madrid-obsession craze I clamoured for a Kaka inspired ACM victory, and Kaka duly obliged, engaging in a destructive and equally divine performance, leading to an inspirational rout. I apologise. ACM are scum.

Man Utd probably deserved at least the finals spot, rather than giving a team of old men one last hurrah; thankfully ACM have rested on their laurels this summer because of their CL win, which will prove fatal later in the season.

This season, Rooney and Ronaldo one year more mature, meaning we should see more repeats of their greater abilities in the pressure cooker of high level CL games (argubly Rooney is getting very close to that, Ronaldo was showing more than just glimpses), and they have depth in spades, as well as seasoned performers (like Hargreaves). Should be very interesting to see how they play their cards in the later stages of the Champion's League, considering theyll have Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal breathing down your backs. But of course, you may have enough depth to cope. Predict: Semi Finals

Valencia: Definitely have a 1st XI that can cope with any other team in Europe, especially if they all stay healthy; in saying that, they have bought quite strongly, and should be able to cope relatively happily with afew key injuries. However, in saying that, I don't think their squad is big enough to cope with both La Liga and the CL, meaning some hard decisions will be made as the later stages of the season start to become more and more important.

And also, as they will be battling on two fronts, injuries to key players (David Villa, who I rate highly, also David Silva, David Albelda, and possibly Marchena to name afew pillars of their first XI) will derail their attempts to do well in either. Predict: Last 16

Sevilla: A highly rated team by all and asunder, which play with a magnificant open and fluid attacking style, equally adept at bringing it to the opposition, or adopting a highly clinical counter attacking style (3-5 @ Madrid, Bernabeu, anyone?). However, I am relatively cynical of them achieving ultimate success (that is, the finals), due to the continued unhappiness of Mr. Alves, as well as one game I clearly remember; last season when Madrid went to their stadium, they played a not so aesthetically pleasing game of diving, time wasting and whinging. Hugely unimpressive.

While they have shown they can take it to the traditional powerhouses (this UEFA Super Cup will be very interesting), it is open to suggestion that they may resort to that particular lesser style in some instances. Also, if the unfortunate Puerta experiences the worse of his circumstance (ie. it is possible he may never be able to play football ever again), that will possibly shake the team somewhat. Predict: Last 8

AC Milan: As holders, they deserve some respect. And of course they have Kaka, a player who may be the best in the world today. But as I stated before, I feel their older players have maybe played one season too far, and they _really_ have not improved (Emerson?). Ronaldo may be the best striker in the world on his day, but just because his body load has become smaller, that does not mean the glass his ankles pretend they are not is gone. Trust him to be injured most of the season, and/or the crucial games of the CL, and Kaka will once again (most likely admirably) shoulder all the pressure of the team. Pato is too green to do anything relevant (while I rate him, I feel the hype has made his FAR too rated, especially for a 17 year old). If Ronaldo remains healthy, and does not become lethargic (hey, we all thought he was great initially, too! heh), they may make a prolonged run. Predict: Last 8

Arsenal: Despite lots and lots of people writing off this team, I feel the loss of Henry (similar to the loss of Torres for Atletico), will actually galavanise the team and make them a far greater force, as they play with much more emphasis on the team rather their a focus on a star player. Expect da Silva to become a huge hit, and van Persie to shake off the media attention and actually become some frightning hybrid of Bergkamp and Henry.

Expect a CL run similar to 2006. Predict: Last 8

Chelsea: A team you can never write off, the Chelsea of 07/08 is essentially the core team which made it to the Semi Finals of last years Champion's League, as well as Runners Up in the Premier League. But despite this, I just have an intuition the bubble of theirs has finally burst for some reason, and if they lose afew key players, they only have inferior players to pick up the slack, which really don't help anything. If Ballack and Shevchenko actually step up their game (which is probably to be expected), they could be challengers, as is especially demanded of them.

While I am huge fan of Malouda, I feel in losing Robben (to us, thankfully) they have basically taken out a possible different option in their game, to be replaced by another burly physical midfield player, which they have an abundance of (Essien, Lampard, Makalele, Ballack); Robben has a guile to his game that Malouda has not, despite the latters astonishing ability.

But this season could end in disaster, and equally disastrous for Chelsea, Europe-hungry Roman sacks an unfortunate Mou. Predict: Last 8

Inter Milan: Seemingly looking to dominate the Serie A for afew years to come, I can see this team also ripping apart their domestic league, losing their vital Serie A games to ACM, Juventus and Roma, before falling apart at a suprisingly early hurdle to another early CL favourite; expect lots of sore loser tendencies.

Despite it being their cenentary year, I cannot see them doing anything special with it; except possibly another domestic title against a rebuilding Juventus and an aging AC Milan. Predict: Last 16

AS Roma: Their 'success' last season (obviously overshadowed by their beating) was a mere blimp, and I don't expect them to do much more than to make up the numbers in the last 16.

While good play from their new pickups such as Guily and Cicinho will count for lots in the league, Totti inspiration can only take them so far against another top quality opposition, except it will happen earlier than the last 8. I do wish them well, if they get far, however. Predict: Last 16

Liverpool: Despite my affinity with Benitez because of his masterful removal of Barca from last years CL (thanks Valdez also) and the acquisition of one of my more favoured players (Torres, now I can follow him favourably because he isn't with Atletico; also fan of Villa), as well as the Spanish contingent, I don't enjoy his playing style, or Liverpool's; the chess style he enjoys can be about as fun as watching paint dry. In your eyelids.

But Benitez has acquired players of genuine quality (Zenden and Pennant in the CL Final, what the hell? Reminds me of a player like Traore in the CL Final in 2005, who played for .. oh wait) such as aforementioned Torres, but as well as Benayoun, Babel and the underrated Voronin.

Benitez is a master tactician, especially in Europe. I can see them going quite far, once again. Hopefully this time it is enjoyable watching his 'Pool side in any of the latter games. Let's see. Predict: Semi Finals

Lyon: Another team similar to Chelsea, in which their bubble has probably popped, as evidenced by their poor start in the Ligue 1. Juninho may be slowly losing his match dominating performances, but who knows? They have an uncanny knack of being forced to sell their best players, before replacing them with players who become European stars (as opposed to merely French stars) extremely quickly. If they finally put together an extremely strong CL run, for some reason, I can't say I will be suprised, despite my initial lowly expectations. Predict: Last 16

Thats my opinion piece/rant over. Enjoy.

2. ALEXIU5

ALEXIU5 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Re: The Champion's League: The Contender's, the Flops, the Suprises. Post Here.

The best forum to date, well done. Who cares about the other teams though Real will win their 10th CL. I just feel sorry for who gets in our way.

3. Arabien4eva

Arabien4eva New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Good Thread....

Kudos to you Galactico. One for the intersting topic your brought up the other for your rather intersting description to the competing clubs.

As for my prediction of the final would:

1. Chelsea FC vs Barcalona, i see barcalona as strong side with Messi and Ronaldhino upront and Puyol, Yaya and Thuram defending. As for Chelsea they also have a very technical side they only lack a world class right wingback/ Right back. They have great player like Shevenko and Drogba with goal scoring mentality. And a real good midfield with Malouda / Lampard/Essien/Ballack and Joe Cole. There defence is also great with John Terry and Alex covering it and A.Cole helping.
    2. Real Madrid vs. Ac Milan Well i find this as one of the most entertaining football finals ever.. As for Real Madrid, we began the season pretty well, with players like Ramos / Pepe/ Metzelder doing a perfect job in Defence with help the great of Fabio Cannavaro. As for our midfield we have great one with Sneijder as our passing maestro and Robben/Drenthe on the left and Robhino/Higuain on the right making it a young rather spectacular midfield, oh ya forgot Diarra whoms defending and passing skills are undeniable and our last minute secret Guti. -- Ok A.C Milan are strong side which is filled up with old players like Cafu/Emerson/Ronaldo/Inzaghi/Maldini/Seedorf/Serghino and soo on, but they have a rather potential. They are good side with a great defence led by Nesta and a better attack with Kaka. There midfield is undoutable with the likes of Emerson/ Pirlo and Gattuso.

4. mickyh

mickyh New Member

Sep 28, 2006

when is the draw for the group stages?

5. Madrid_Yank

Madrid_Yank New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I believe it's this friday. Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. IvanHelguera

IvanHelguera New Member

Mar 19, 2007
    singapore

If the champion league final is also an el classico . it would be the best match i will ever watch in my life... provided that we lift the trophy

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Champions League Predictions:

-Raul Bravo will offer top class entertainment with Olympiakos.
    -Real Madrid will play against Olympiakos in the group stage.

:)

8. Leandro-AL

Leandro-AL New Member

Jan 12, 2007

we should avoid marseille from the last pot at all cost they are a very solid team

9. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles

I must spread before I rep you again, G77 for this immense and ambitious post. However, I have no idea what it says because there's so much here and it's very itty bitty, so I'm going to quote it at normal size so I can actually read it. Hope no one minds. :)

10. PiSaNgAmBoN

PiSaNgAmBoN Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Lokeren(Belgium)

I think that we have a fair chance of winning, why?
    Well, because in the last few years the teams who performed well and even won were all teams who could focus on the CL, battling at CL and competition and cup is very, very hard.
    It's all about freshness sometimes and getting in top shape at the right time, so because we have all those new players, I kinda think we won't be at our top level that soon, but just soon enough for the CL.

11. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I'm sooo hoping that we get Lyon. Argh, 2 years of humiliation is just too much. I'm dying for us to settle scores with them. And then Bayern :mad:

12. Madrid_Yank

Madrid_Yank New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Hopefully, though, we don't settle scores with them this season. ;) But I know what you mean, we have an unsettled debt to pay back to them.

13. Leandro-AL

Leandro-AL New Member

Jan 12, 2007

lol we've been having that "debt" for many years now. let's face it, we're bayern's clients

lyon has lost many players and i dont know what's their potential this year although they are very low in the french league. well they can't win always. maybe this is the year that they'll suck

marseille is a strong, well balanced team though. despite a shaky start i think they can contend for the french league and the 2nd round of the CL

14. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Manchester United is a joke. They are a team built on winning the premiership facing low rate opposition like Reading and Bolton. They lucked out in the Champions League last year when they cruised to the semi finals without facing a true big team. When they finally faced their first big test against Milan, they were badly beaten. They won't do anything in the champions league this year.

15. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada

Soccertv.com has ESPN Deportes showing it on Thursday and it says it's live, so I think it's then. It says 12:00 Eastern time, so I believe that puts it at 16:00 GMT.

16. Piperc

Piperc New Member

May 24, 2007
    Italy

good i think you are right..;)

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

ManYoo was found out by Milan.

Oddo and Gattuso kept Ronaldo without any effect, with the rest of the defensive department keeping Rooney without service.I still think that without Gattuso's injury, Milan would've even managed to get a positive result in Manchester.

The dumbidiotic media where talking about how Cristiano Ronaldo is just hype, when it was basically Alex Ferguson who lost that game, not Cristiano Ronaldo.

I still think you can't write off United.

18. Madrid_Yank

Madrid_Yank New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

The thing standing in Man Utds way is SAF. He's just not that savy of a European manager. Is the squad good enough to win the champions league? Of course. SAF just isn't a European manager. Not to take anything away from 1999, but Roy Keane's epic game against Juve coupled with a great deal of luck against Bayern won Utd that title. SAF leaves the fans and the team wanting.

19. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Milan lost that game because they got too comfortable after being in control of United. In the second half, they foolishly took their foot off the gas and Maldini was taken out. Those were too big mistakes that ended up costing them the match.

20. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Sorry Horsey :p For some reason my rep button hasn't reappeared since the BS server rehaul, damn it ><

Also, adding to my opinions, I think we are in luck because our two recent enemies, Bayern and Juventus, are both not here :)

Madrid_Yank: interesting point about SAF; this year I think will finally confirm his status as a flop or not; the depth of his team means he should be able to extend a prolonged CL run.

21. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006

I still believe Liverpool is the team to watch out for; they've got the experience and now they've added to that by strengthening the key positions they lacked quality in. Now to mention they have great depth, especially in midfield.

But the CL is like gambling, it's full of surprises and uncertainty. The best teams don't always make it through especially since they changed the format back in 2002. With a little luck and consistency, we can make it to the final this season. I hope we make it our key objective this season.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

When Sporting, Porto or Benfica have their day, they are very tough to beat.
    Everybody will stil have ManYoo's Benfica crash in mind, Inter's recent tough break against Sporting, and how hard Porto made it for Chelsea.I believe a Portuguese team will make it far in the next 5 years[again].

You might play against a team you would "usually" beat under normal circumstances, but in the CL , that one away goal changes everything.

23. Arabien4eva

Arabien4eva New Member

Jul 31, 2007

Aye, that what likely to happen in the next few years.

All i hope we win the CL this year.

24. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I wouldn't be suprised with some massive giant killings this year.

25. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005

It won't be this year, if you put the outgoing transfer lists of Benfica, Sporting and Porto together they make for interesting reading: Simao, Pepe, Ricardo Costa, Anderson, Manuel Fernandes, Nani, Ricardo, Douala, Carlos Martins... you could make a pretty competitive CL team with their exits alone.

If they keep selling at this rate, they aren't winning jack in Europe in the next 5 years.