Other Team Discussion Thread Part the Third (ALL Teams, ALL Leagues, ALL Competitions - R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    For the US National team, if DeMerit is still suffering from the runs then I would rather see Boswell out there than surfer boy Califf. I'd hope he at least gets a half for his trip down there.

3. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'd like to see Boswell get the start, but who knows. Maybe we'll see a Boswell-Califf pairing.

What are the odds Olsen starts? He's started the past two, but now that there is nothing to play for, why not let some of the younger players start?

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

I think there are 4 players who have not played yet. Davies is a forward. Boswell a defender. Guzan goalie. And Beckerman. But I can't see Beckerman being able to play wide like Ben has. Maybe Mapp and Klejstan start on the wings.

5. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Beckerman was a sub vs. Argentina.

6. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    From Part II:

Scarshins:
    Not in MLS he won't. I'm not being sarcastic. I don't think the US has the appropriate tools to develop good #10s. And MLS is the wrong League for that sort of thing in its current incarnation. He needs to get away from the US to a place where he can play in a full reserve division for a couple of years so that he can play day-in, day-out as a #10 with the full pressure of having to earn his spot every time he steps on the pitch, but without the Baby Jesus Jr. complex that has been thrown at him since Day 1.

That simply cannot happen here. And as for the ability to develop domestic #10s, I will simply point to the only domestic #10 MLS has developed, Kyle Martino, and let you think it through from there.

7. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of a segue is that? And no animal??? I want to speak to the manager.

And Beckerman did play against Argentina and looked particularly bad. I'd be tempted not to start Olsen too if I was Bradley, but then I'd look at how badly the squad has played after he came out in the two games and be scared not to start him. Colombia will be desperate for a result in this game; we need to play like we are too, no matter who is on the field.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Lee Nguyen could play out wide. I think that is where he plays for PSV.

Heath Pearce hasn't played yet. He's a left back if memory serves.

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    That's right. I wouldn't mind seeing him play. Bornstein could use a break.

Nguyen looks smaller than Adu so he can't play. :D

10. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachin,

You're a gentleman and a scholar. Can someone cover a brother with some rep for the mod?

Thanks!!!

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Done and done.

12. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    *ahem*

;)

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are, most assuredly, not a gentleman.

14. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Riz, are you wesponsibol fo da cute wittle monkey? I should have known!!!

Anyway, she's adorable and makes me just want to say that I like our odds against Brazil in the U20 WC on Friday. I think we'll be able to match their intensity and get a result. Anyone know how the brackets would match up if we finish first v. second in the group?

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the dreaded, and rare, Anacostia finger monkey ........

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  17. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Well that Copa America experience sucked! I started the tournament with the mindset that "this is only for experience and the results aren't that important." After the first game I realized I would have a hard time sticking with this outlook.

Booo Sunil!
    Booo USSF!

18. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    At least the NYRB are losing:D

Let's go Paraguay!

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Waterreus is a disaster. Twice he's had a very delayed reaction. (First goal, and the header off the post before the second goal)

20. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    In his defense on the second goal, why wasn't there an offiside call on the Dynamo player in front of him?

I thought passive offside was only if there was no obstruction.

21. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day, the US played well for an hour against Argentina; played well enough to beat Paraguay but for some very poor finishing (and a highly deceiving scoreline); and with the real bench scrubs out there fought Columbia to the end.

I don't care if the CONMEBOL people have their knickers in a twist that we didn't sent a top squad there, the kids did okay. Hopefully, those kids learned a little about the mental toughness and concentration it takes to win in international football.

22. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    For the most part, I also could care less what the CONMEBOL folks thought about our team. Were the three games baptism by fire, or that our soccer fed. did not plan this out better?

23. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno about anyone else, but man am I really enjoying watching NYRB get obliterated down in Texas. :D

24. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wow!

4-NIL HOUSTON!!!

Ok, Yeah, im enjoying watching NYRB get ripped apart, but dang, now im starting to worry. United is playing in Houston this Saturday. Are they this good? Or is NYRB just fallen this far and are now, this bad??:confused:

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm looking at the standings. United will remain in first for the time being, but Houston(26pts) and Dallas(29pts) are both ahead.

But United has two games in hand on Houston, and four, FOUR!, games in hand on Dallas.

Did Dallas start playing a month earlier than anyone else?