Dynamo Stadium -- Location discussion (site, access, parking, safety, etc.)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Offebacher, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Thread - General discussion about rumors, ideas, etc.

I went over to the parking lot at Texas and St. Emmanuel and took some pictures.

The lot, like the rest of downtown, is on an almost 45 degree angle from running North-South. An outdoor stadium would presumably run North-South as it does at Robertson so it would go diagonal across the lot. That would put the downtown skyline over the pressbox side of field to the West.

Looking straight west from the center of the parking lot:

[​IMG]

2. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Thread - News & Serious Analysis Only

http://www.houstonist.com/archives/2007/05/07/will_downtown_b.php

Not much new news in this link, except for the fact that the amount of land needed to build a new stadium downtown is not clear, and they're not sure how nearby residents will react. They did have this pic though...

[​IMG]

3. flint

flint New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Sugar Land
    Re: Downtown stadium Letter of Intent announced by Oliver Luck 5/14

I took from OL's comments the notion that MLS & AEG's first option in any city; New York, LA, Dallas, and Chicago, was always to try for a downtown location. Imagine what the NY Jets have gone through for a decade. In Dallas, the obvious move would have been to resize and remodel the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park just south of downtown, but,....

Politics and land prices drove soccer to the suburbs. Instead, we have a group of politicians and businessmen willing to work together.

Rikker, when you come down from the roof, I think you'll agree this is the best move. Besides, Pearland is closer to downtown than Sugar Land. If they plan on having a Special Pearland Parking lot next to the entrance, I won't complain.

4. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town

Hey Dynamo fans - I don't want to drive to BFE like The Woodlands - lets make it happen downtown.

5. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well technically The Woodlands would have been a shorter drive for Dallas folks, but we appreciate the sentiment. :)

6. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

thank god that it will be downtown and not in sugar land. Im happy down town is an easy drive for me.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obvious, except for the three football games held there every year that draw huge crowds, and that it's a historic landmark.

8. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While we all know MLS needs SSS to survive long term, we have some flexibility for big event stadiums.. Say soccer keeps booming. Your team is in a major cup or qualifier or the MLS cup or USOPEN cup final etc.. Your 'league day' field is too small. Hopefully you keep on good terms with the other venues in town and borrow them every so often. Examples=

Dynamo, of course, have played at the Texans NFL stadium
    Chivas has used the LA Colisium
    Galaxy could go back to their ancestoral home- Rose Bowl
    FC Dallas could use the Cotton
    Fire- Soldier field
    DC United has used Fed Ex/Redskins NFL
    -The list goes on - I think every MLS that is in or is building an SSS, would have a LARGER facility to borrow in a special event.
    ---
    Houston is especially interesting to be going 'downtown'. It a big and sprawling as any city anywhere and is going downtown.. You beat Chicago <Denve and Dallas in that regard. Congrats !!

9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Courtesy of Lark

I love the Location part. It really, honestly, gives me the chills. Woh...great writting for effect there.

10. MaynardJK

MaynardJK New Member

Apr 13, 2007
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't have much to add besides proclaiming how excited I am at the prospect of a downtown stadium.

I am so thankful Pearland or Sugar Land aren't going to be the choice.

11. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

I'm the same , and I live in Sienna Plantation (Missouri City)

Downtown is the best location for all ( that includes you as well Riccker !:D )

12. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

Downtown
    I just found out.

I am so exceited.

13. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Im happy thats were I wanted the stadium in the first place second place was Pearland. :D

14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't backpedal now. You're still moving to Rome.

15. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

:D repped :D

16. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

Wildcatter,

I am right there with you. I hate it being down town because i know there will not be adequate parking. People are going to say that there will be plenty of parking and i just don't think some people get it. People are saying that they can park 4 or 5 blocks away. NEWTX keeps saying how parking is not a big deal when he will walk two blocks to the games. Come on people . We are not talkign abotu walking across a college campus in a small college town. We are talking about walking in down town Houston. I walk three blocks right now from MMP to where I normally park and I have to pass several homeless people begging for money, two or three guys who give you dirty looks if you don't pay them to play "take me out to the ball game" on their saxophone, and lord knows what else I pass. I am not a snob, but I have a pregnant wife. I do not want my unborn child to be put in any stress right now. It is just not safe in that area.

And oh by the way, you can forget tailgating. Where are you going to be able to do that?

17. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

Wildcatter, you and i think alike. "Downtown" still has that creepy dangerous conotation. I want to know where all these extra fans are going to come from too. The suburb opposite Robertson now is Katy. Myself and many others make the trek over to Robertson down the Westpark tollway now. I have never heard people in Katy, Webster, or Rickkers stomping grounds (pear land) say, "man, if only that stadium were to move about 3 or 4 miles closer to down town, i would go."

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. People have some very different perceptions of downtown. For many people who work downtown and/or live inside the Loop, downtown is the rapidly improving area with new bars, restaurants, and housing. It's a desirable place to go out at night. It's also not perceived as dangerous or odd by many of us. Now, the outer 'burbs...that's creepy. ;)

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

People like downtown because it's centrally located. It's possible to draw more people because a downtown stadium would be more visible. There are still people in Houston that don't know that we A) have a team and B) where that team plays. You put a stadium across from Minute Maid and people will notice it, it's like a gigantic billboard.

Where exactly would you rather have it located that would be such a better place?

20. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

I wouldn't be caught dead walking through downtown katy after dark. that is horrible. I hear what you are you saying about downtown getting better. but what about us who do not work or live down there? i would bet that a majority of the people coming to games do not live or work downtown. We will have that idea of the big creepy downtown. do you understand what we are saying? i see people that do not go downtown except for sports always being scared of downtown. jsut a thought.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see what you're saying and it's a perspective that I certainly don't hear much from anyone I know. I think you need to keep in mind that tens of thousands of people come downtown for sports events all the time. They don't all work downtown or live inside the Loop. I understand that some people may feel scared about an urban environment, but it obviously doesn't stop very large numbers of people from enjoying downtown all the time.

22. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

From the linked BlogHouston article

AEG wants to get in... There are 2 other MAJOR projects currently under construction in the heart of downtown. 1 entertainment/retail/office center. One major high rise condo (on the east side of downtown no less), and another office building currently being planned over by the new huge park in front of the GRB. I dont know WHY businesses want to make major investments, but clearly they do...

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because many people think that downtown is pretty cool and improving. I worked for about six consecutive years downtown (until very recently) and lived in Midtown for about three years, just a block or two south of the Pierce elevated. I've never been accosted by vagrants or anyone else. I don't recall anyone else I worked with or who lived in the area being assailed by hordes of vagrants. I don't deny that many people may have that fear when they see homeless people. But it's obvious that many people aren't afraid enough to avoid downtown.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I know my opinion has been devalued since I live near the stadium. It's too bad that gets in the way of the arguments that I make. I wish the arguments could be addressed for their inherent value rather than shooting the messenger.

I walk through the area by Minute Maid every afternoon. When there is not a ball game going on I have been asked for change a total of four or five times since I moved here in December. Mostly there is no one begging because there aren't any people around to beg from.

I get hit on for change more often over on the west side of Main while waiting for lights to change. Of course, that's where the marks, excuse me, pedestrians are. So maybe I just get used to it. Maybe that's the trade off I'm willing to make to live in an urban environment where I can easily walk or take public transit to get to lots of my destinations. I know others do not want to do it.

If this is truly going to be an obstacle to drawing well at a downtown location then the stadium here will be a mistake.

However, the evidence that we have is that it is not an obstacle. 3 million people went to Astros' games last year. The Rockets drew almost 700,000. The Convention Center attracts large crowds for some events. There is lots of development going on downtown east of Main. Apparently the image and parking aren't a total barrier.