MLS 2007 Player Salaries

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, May 4, 2007.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
  3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we finally know Becks exact salary now.

LA Beckham David M $ 5,500,000.08 $ 6,500,000.04

I think this one surprised me the most for some odd reason

TFC Robinson Carl M $ 300,000.00 $ 315,000.00

5. REDBULLMANIA

REDBULLMANIA Member

Oct 17, 2006
    NJ
    Wow Cuahtemoc Blanco 2.6million...what a waste of money. Not worth it for an aging player that will not be able to handle to physical play of MLS. He will be a bust.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

-------------------
    The documents linked below contain salary information for all MLS players as of the date shown. In the survey, all player salaries are broken down into two numbers. The first is the player's current base salary. The second is characterized as annual average guaranteed compensation. The annual average guaranteed compensation number includes a player's base salary and all signing and guaranteed bonuses annualized over the term of the player's contract, including option years. For example, if a player has a base salary of $50,000, has a two-year contract with two one-year options and received a $10,000 bonus when he signed, his average annual guaranteed compensation would be $52,500 (base salary plus signing bonus ($10,000), with the signing bonus divided by the number of years covered by the contract (4)). The average annual guaranteed compensation number also includes any annual marketing bonus to be received in the current year and any agent's fees annualized over the term of the contract. The average annual guaranteed compensation figure does not include performance bonuses because there is no guarantee that the player will hit those bonuses.

These figures include compensation from each player's contract with MLS. They do not include any compensation from any contracts with individual teams or their affiliates.

(Surveys through 5/2/07)
    ------------------------------

7. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    That is a lot for Blanco. Well let's see how it relates in ticket sales and exposure with the Mex community in Chicago. In regard to dealing with physical play, I've always seen him as a physical player. Let's just hope he takes MLS seriously rather than looking at it like some playground.

IMHO, if MLS was going to pay that much it should've invested in up and coming Mex players.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    this assumes that there are available up-and-coming players in Mexico who are eagar to play in MLS.

DP's are here mostly for marketing. i'm not sure if there are any other players from Mexico (again, who are willing to come to MLS) who are as marketable to the US audience as Blanco is (or should be).

9. REDBULLMANIA

REDBULLMANIA Member

Oct 17, 2006
    NJ
    I am not sure how marketable Juan Plablo Angel is but for 1.5mil is a good deal. I think the Redbull got a better return for their money being that Angel is a striker. Glad Redbull did'nt over pay.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, Pat Noonan and Jimmy Conrad took in the low $200K each to stay in MLS.

Nate Jaqua and Brian Carroll took about half that.

Claudio Suarez's, Markus Schopp's and Guille BS'd salaries are b-ogu-s.

PS. Blanco will pay for himself. That's the easy part.

11. REDBULLMANIA

REDBULLMANIA Member

Oct 17, 2006
    NJ
    How is DeRosario making 189K. He is one best players in MLS. Who is his agent Jerry Maguire???

12. keeppah

keeppah Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Taunton, MA
    I'm so glad they finally have a workable Union site where all the info is out in the open. Kudos MLSPU.

13. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a surprize, but the biggest disparity in those numbers has to be how UNDERPAID Landon Donovan is. He is by far the best player in the league, with the possible exception of Beckham. Come on, who would seriously rate Reyna higher than Donovan? I think Donovan is due for a big raise...to at least $2.5M a year.

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Reyna had Man City as leverage. I think he said he took a 50% paycut to play in New York.

15. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cobi Jones took a paycut. He was at $500,000 last year.

16. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm Andy Dorman I've got my agent on the phone right now.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    TT had better stats than Landon and is making $350K.

Ditto for Ruiz.

Cooper had similar stats and is making $80K.

$2.5M? Don't make me laugh.

$210K last year.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    shocker of shockers, but MLS salaries aren't based only on MLS performance and past stats in the league.

yes, performance and stats in the league should be part of the equation, but clearly things like marketability and international and NT success plays a factor in setting these current salaries when contracts were signed x or y years ago for player a, b or c.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    OK, let's see what Donovan had done in terms of marketability.

For a guy who "wasn't in tune" during the last World Cup and missed the play-offs with his club team, it surely had a ceiling.

BTW, if it were shirt sales, I am all for giving the guy a cut off the proceeds. Becks's getting his.

20. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to pony up the extra money for a unionized IT guy.

Where the heck did that 8 extra cents for Beckham come from?

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids are paying Jovan Kirovski 200K?!?! :eek: :eek:

That makes him the third highest paid player on the team behind Pablo and Vanney, and part of Vanney's contract is being paid for by Dallas IIRC.

22. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Remind me again what the team cap is.

23. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... and the $156k for Cancela seems a bit wasted as well. One quick thought about Robinson though.... does the $300k+ actually qualify him as a DP?

24. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    the rumors are that it is around $2.2 million per team.

but there are so many exceptions and salary-sharing costs among teams due to "trades" in the single-entity world of MLS that the team "salary cap" is more of a "suggestion" or "guideline" in my opinion.

I think MLS is working to clean that up and get the "cap" to be a harder (and more-enforced) rule in the future, but i think 2007 (like a lot of previous years when big-name players were brought into the league) is a bit of a mess, salary structure-wise.

DP salaries have (a large) part of their costs covered by individual I/O's and that money is outside the "cap restrictions", plus there are grandfathered in players (LD, EJ, Schopp I believe) for 2007.