MLS Salaries

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Matrim55, May 4, 2007.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best contract in the league: Andy Dorman (30,870)
    Worst contract in the league: Any/Every Member of TFC

Holy crap. I can't believe even Canadians would be dumb enough to trust their business to MoJo. That list reads like a Toronto FC horror story: $75k for Adam Braz, $158k for Jim Brennan, $150k for Edson Buddle, $158k for Danny Dichio, $175k for Alecko Eskandarian, $258k for Ronnie O'Brien, $95k for Chris Pozniak, $105k for Marcos Reda (worst defender in the league by miles at this point), $315k for Carl Robinson (who MoJo called out two weeks ago for sucking), $132k for Greg Sutton, $204k for Andy Welsh...

I honestly thought it couldn't be worse than Peter Canero's $150k from last season, but Mo has blown that out of the ********ing water. I'm embarrassed for that team. The worst thing is that if they're able to actually develop any of their young players, they'll never have cap room to make them a decent offer and keep them. TFC is screwed for a good long while.

The Revs, on the other hand, have only one contract (Danny Hernandez at $150k) that makes you scratch your head. The fact that they're paying Dorman, Joseph and Ralston a combined $470 is simply amazing, and taking a look at this list is pretty much all the info you need to see why Shalrie is so pissed.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/5_2_07_salary_info_alpha.pdf

PS - $300k for Carl Robinson? Seriously?

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those Canadian Dollars???:)

3. SideNetting

SideNetting New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wheaton, IL
    this is my 2nd favorite day of the year in the MLS calendar.

my favorite day is, of course, the first game Carlos Ruiz gets a red card and/or suspension

4. soccerbum23

soccerbum23 Member

May 21, 2006
    Lost in Utah
    Have you looked at the salaries for some members of RSL? I think they can compete with Toronto.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. Adu's obviously overpaid relative to his onfield performance, but he probably pays for himself in terms of advertising/sponsorships.

Klein, Kreis and Pope are all overpaid, but all within reason. Veterans tend to make more in MLS - check out Dema's salary. And Pope, at least, is off to a pretty good start.

Cunningham is almost a bargain at his salary. There's no "almost" about Ballouchy; he is a bargain. Talley's overpaid, but not egregiously, and Besagno, RSL's #1 pick, makes less than either of TFC's two #1 picks.

Rimando sucks, but at least he sucks at half the price of Sutton. Luis Tejada is definitely overpaid, but Daniel Torres isn't, so there's a balance there.

Don't get me wrong - RSL have been mismanaged, but TFC is the new Enron.

6. How the ******** does one live on 13k a year in a place like NY or LA? Do they sleep in a cardboard box in the alley?

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can scratch Klein off the list!

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    EJ at $875K??????

For that price, i would rather have Twellman, Emilio, and Razov on my team in a heart beat.

3 quality strikers for the price of a mediocre striker? man, i can't even do the math now!!!!

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta remember when he signed that contract. He won the Golden Boot in 2004, then scored 8 goals in 9 games for the nats over the next few months. Then led Dallas to a blazing start out of the gates in 2005; they looked like the best team in the league through the end of May, along with the Revs. That's when EJ inked his deal; he got hurt the next game, and Dallas promptly fell apart.

Two years later it looks awful, but at the time that deal made a lot of sense.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    totally agreed, MLS gotta doing something about the minimum wage...isn't paying a pro athelete 13k a year is againt the laws in the major sports world?

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's why the DC rookie (Jay Needham, spelling?) went to the USL.

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And now, as coach, Kries salary comes off the books, even if he stays as a player. Sweet deal.

13. Even worse, many of these guys are probably college grads who could make 3 times that at an entry level corporate America position. I find it hard to believe that one can be totally committed to a job when you are being paid not even peanuts by your employer.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Which means they are voluntarily making less than they could elsewhere....that should tell you something. Incredible that you haven't figured it out.

15. That still doesn't make it right or foster a good working environment for current or future employees. Having MLS level talent playing in the A league or USL because of that salary is bad for the league as a whole. The league needs to eliminate that scenario.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    That's just their salary from the league...

The DP players get appearance fees for camps, events, etc. that get them more money.

They are not just making 13K

17. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    Yeah but how much could that be? That must be pretty minimal income. Maybe another 5 grand? Maybe Beckham will hire the 13k guys on the galaxy as butlers at his mansion for extra income.:D

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I can only imagine the seething anger some players will feel when they look at this list and compare their salary with other players.

A quick example. Claudio Reyna commands $1,250,000 compared to a guy like Brad Davis who will earn $90.000.

Reyna mark my words will go down with an injury and will be less productive overall than Davis. Davis will score more goals, tally more assists and play more minutes whilst earning about 14 times less than Mr. Reyna. Isn't that special?

Yes I understand Claudio has some marketing value but in reality that is all smoke and mirrors. Beckham has real marketing value. Reyna not so much. Am I correct?

What should count is on the field productivity and I expect Davis will be far more productive than Reyna. Oh one other thing. Please don't tell me how much more valuable Reyna is to the RB's because of his maturity, experience, his on field decision making and overall field Generalship and how he helps the RB's maintain ball possession because it is all a bunch of hooey. Davis does all those things as well and gets little or know credit for it...

19. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    these are the total salaries including image rights?

20. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx
    That's one of the dumbest posts I've seen on Bigsoccer in years on so many levels. Congratulations.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Davis is an average to above-average MLS midfielder incapable of dominating a game. Reyna is the best field player the US has ever produced. If he stays healthy (and that's a legitimate if), he's worth the money. That's a gamble RB was willing to take.

22. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
  23. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, wrong teams there buddy. LA, RBNY and Chicago lead the league in salary.

Chivas dead last.

24. fclalala

fclalala New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Beloit, WI
    Minor League Baseball players earn anywhere from $850 to $2,150 a month during their season. I'm sure minor league hockey players aren't very well off either.

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSPA or whatever they call themselves can either wait to renegotiate when the CBA comes up or they can strike.

What MLS level talent is playing in the USL? Jay Needham? Guy never played a minute in MLS so we don't know if he's MLS level talent.

How many of the last 6 WonderUberMegaDraft 1st picks have even panned out:

2007 > Edu, TOR - Try to get traded buddy, as hard as you effin' can!
    2006 > Wynne, NY, Hi, welcome to Toronto, we understand you are a defender
    2005 > Besagno, RSL - Who?
    2004 > Adu, DC - Has yet to live up to it
    2003 > Eskandarian, DC - Fallen down the hole called Toronto
    2002 > Gbandi, DAL - Injuries and a lack of soccer accumen have killed him
    2001 > Carrieri, SJ - UltraMega Bust
    2000 > Shak, MET - Huge Bust

The did by adding Toronto.

Half the players on Toronto's roster SHOULD be playing in the USL