Big Soccer Poster's Power Rankings

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by RfrancisR, Apr 23, 2007.

1. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Rank Dallas where you want, but FCD beat Colorado, beat LA in LA, and lost two games to unbeaten Red Bulls, and the Revs on three days rest.

BTW, Colorado struggles with Dallas even at home, check the history books.
    Dario's back, Shaka is on the bench.

2. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Sorry I haven't tabulated the votes yet but been gone all day on a road trip. I will tabulate these for you and have week 4's power ranking's out somewhere around 4PM CT tomorrow. Any votes after 3PM CT will not be counted.

3. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    1) RBNY
    2) Chicago
    3) Revs
    4) Rapids
    5) Wiz
    6) Crew
    7) Galaxy
    8) Chivas
    9) Dynamo
    10) FCD
    11) RSL
    12) DCU
    13) TFC

4. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    1) RBNY
    2) Chicago
    3) Revs
    4) Rapids
    5) Wiz
    6) Crew
    7) Galaxy
    8) Chivas
    9) Dynamo
    10) FCD
    11) RSL
    12) TFC
    13) DCU- I know TFC belongs in this spot but with the talent and the head start DC had with the CCC, there should be no excuse on why they are not on the top of the list. Losing to Colorado, KC and Columbus is just pathetic.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess i will pick up the slack here:

WEEK 4 FINAL BIGSOCCER POWER RANKINGS
    * 13 voters. 169 Max points

1. NEW YORK........169 (13)
    2. CHICAGO.........156
    3.NEW ENGLAND....138
    4. KANSAS CITY.....121
    5. LOS ANGELES.....104
    6. COLORADO........102
    7. COLUMBUS.........99
    8. HOUSTON.........85
    9. CHIVAS USA.....69
    10. FC DALLAS.......58
    11. DC UNITED.......37
    12. REAL SALT LAKE..29
    13. TORONTO.......15

NY stil unanimous choice for #1 the most variation was KC,Houston and LA.

Lets see this weeks if ya got em

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WEEK 5 POWER RANKING

1. New York- Only undefeated team left and despite a suspect late lead blown in Salt Lake still looks to be a class side.

2. Houston- I still think they are the best team in the west and had them at #4 last week. Beating the Rapids away was a big win and the offensive seem sback on track with a resurgant DeRo

3. New England- Somehow they just get it done. Ralston is looking like a kid again.

4. Kansas City- I moved them up 3 spots from my last ranking. They top the league, but i want to see them play a quality opponent first before i put them higher.

5. Chicago- Maybe they are not a good as their record indicated. But they have shown some good quality and NE is their only real blemish.

6. Los Angeles- Benefits from the rest of the teams looking bad and having the week off.

7. Columbus- Tough loss, they look decent but need to find goals quick before this turns into a boring mediocre season.

8. Chivas USA- Deserved more in DC, they look always dangerous but just cant seem to get the possitive results they need.

9. FC Dallas- Got a week off, luckily no one is the west besides Houston really did much.

10. Colorado- I questioned their away form, now thier home form is in tatters. They are looking like an up and down squad and are below Dallas only because they lost to them.

11. DC UNited- 4 point week. But very unconvicing quality. They should move up as the season wears on but they have some serious problems and Soehn will get a reprieve this week.

12. Salt Lake- Firing Ellinger was smart, paying off the refs was smarter. Still despite the silver plate draw they were handed they looked pretty bad at home no less. They need a win at Colorado if they have any hope of righting the ship.

13. Toronto- I forgot they were here.

7. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. NY
    2. KC
    3. NE
    5. Houston
    6. LA Goats
    7. LA Gals
    8. Columbus
    9. Colorado
    10. FC Dallas
    11. DC United
    12. RSL
    13. TFC

99. Chicago (ok, no, slot them in at 4)

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give it a shot:

1. NEW YORK
    Best after 5 weeks, no question.
    2. KANSAS CITY
    Just getting it done, although spots 2-4 is real tight IMO.
    3. NEW ENGLAND
    Neck and neck with KC for my 2 spot.
    4. CHICAGO
    If someone beside Rolfe could provide some O - might be in my 2 spot.
    5. HOUSTON
    Been tight on defense, now starting to get some offense.
    6. LOS ANGELES
    Will the off-week help or hinder them in building some confidence?
    7. COLORADO
    Hot and cold puts you in the middle of the pack.
    8. COLUMBUS
    Where's the offense?
    9. CHIVAS USA
    Close only counts in...well, you get the idea.
    10. DC UNITED
    Another win might move them up a bit. But defense looks shaky.
    11. FC DALLAS
    Should probably be higher, but 7 points on 6 games...
    12. REAL SALT LAKE
    Should have lost that game against NYRB, but I'm sure they'll take the points.
    13. TORONTO
    I think everyone else has done the "at least they didn't lose this weekend" joke.

9. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1. NY
    2. NE
    3. Houston
    4. Chicago
    5. Kansas City
    6. LA
    7. DCU
    8. Colorado
    9. Columbus
    10. Chivas
    11. Dallas
    12. RSL
    13. Toronto

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Sachsen's work, I'll add a different top team theory!
    1. KC
    2. NY
    3. CHI
    4. NE
    5. Hou
    6. COL
    7. LA
    8. CLB
    9. CHV
    10. FCD
    11. DCU
    12. RSL
    13. TOR

11. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Week 5 Rankings (My Last Week in parentheses).

1. (1) New York - First chink in the armor, and ahead of a surging Kansas City only slightly.

2. (3) Kansas City - Finding ways to win instead of draw, and have the most points in the league.

3. (5) New England - A solid 4 points out of 6 this week.

4. (4) Los Angeles - Hard to move a team that didn't play.

5. (2) Chicago - 1st loss at New England, but nothing to be too concerned with.

6. (8) Houston - 2 wins out of 5 is good enough to lead a very poor Western Conference. Second best defensive record in the league though.

7. (11) DC United - 4 points out of 6 this week as the perennial giant shows basic signs of life again.

8. (9) Colorado - More of an indictment of the teams around them that they could lose and move up a spot.

9. (7) Columbus - Have proven difficult to beat, but 1 win in 5 is still not going to be enough.

10. (6) Chivas - Zero points from a possible six, and look mediocre even in the terrible West.

11. (10) Dallas - Didn't play this week but have still looked poor this year so far.

12. (12) Salt Lake - Spirited fightback to draw against New York, but still winless to start the season.

13. (13) Toronto - Zero for, ten against. It reads like Liechtenstein's record in European qualifying.

12. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Two losses to the #1 Red Bulls really killed FCD on these rankings.:confused:

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. It's only the end-of-season rankings that really matter...

14. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm just totally baffled this week. Maybe everyone in the league except Toronto should just make the playoffs. They could just start them now and settle it quickly.

1. Red Bull
    - but only very reluctantly after falling apart in SLC.
    2. Revs
    - hurts me to say this
    3. Wiz
    - How much would 7,400 in crowd have to pay, each, to cover EJ's salary for the game?
    4. Fire
    - Beat down by Revs.
    5. Galaxy
    - Maybe the Wiz should petition to be in the West where they belong.
    6. Dynamo Houston
    - I owe Dynamo fans an apology for ranking them 10 last week. Sorry.
    7. FC Dallas
    - Didn't play and moved up - a new strategy.
    8. Crew
    - Need to find some offense at some point.
    9. United
    - Interesting how they looked better with neither Brazilian starting.
    10. Chivas USA
    - Guevara flameout has to hurt. Who is the Attacking Mid now?
    11. Arsenal Colorado
    - No heart at home? Sad.
    12. Real
    - Signs of life under new boss? We'll see.
    13. TFC
    - Why do so many guys reject TFC? Canada, or Mo?

15. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    My Rankings after Week 5

Last week in parenthesis, not a lot of movement

1. New York (1) - Showed a bit of vulnerability at RSL, but a resurgent Mathis is a great thing to see. Wonder if Bruce will really take Clint off the field when JPA arrives?

2. New England (4) - A happy, decently paid Twellman is a beautiful thing. And Ralston is playing at his best. If Shalrie gets fired up then they'll be a real threat to New York.

3. Kansas City (3) - Looked less creative than in weeks past against C-bus but still handed the Crew their first defeat.

4. Houston (7) - Signs of life from DeRo. Another repeat from last week: I will be shocked if Dynamo aren't 1 or 2 in the West this year.

5. Chicago (2) - I'll repeat my comment from last week: "getting results... but they're not pretty to watch." They haven't been that convincing in victory, and NE bumped them down a peg. I'll leave them this high for now, but I gotta say I can't see them higher than 5th in the East at year's end.

6. Los Angeles (5) - Higher if Landon shows, lower if he doesn't.

7. DC United (8) - really tough schedule so far, but they appeared to get their footing this week. That offense should be huge, I expect by midseason Emilio and Gomez will be racking up some goals.

8. Columbus (6) - Unlucky not to get away from Arrowhead with a point, but the big concern has got to be the Crew's inability to finish... decent ball movement and buildups, but they are just struggling to find net right now. Odd b/c they have more talent up high than in recent years.

9. Colorado (9) - Again: Rapids = middle of the pack. Now and forever. Just hope the fans keep coming to Dicks.

10. Dallas (10) - Much needed break, they stay in the same place in the rankings.

11. Chivas (11) - Galindo playing some great ball but Chivas has yet to get a result against quality competition.

12. Salt Lake (12) - great start to the Kreis era.

13. Toronto (13) - gotta question a lot of the decision making at TFC after the salaries got released...

16. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    01. New York

02. New England

03. Kansas City

04. Houston

05. Los Angeles

06. Chicago

07. Columbus

08. Chivas Usa

09. Dallas

10. Colorado

11. Dc United

12. Real Salt Lake

13. Toronto

17. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    1. New York Red Bull
    2. Kansas City
    3. New England
    4. Houston
    5. Chicago
    6. FC Dallas
    7. LA Galaxy
    8. DC United
    9. Columbus
    10. Colorado
    11. Chivas
    12. Real Salt Lake
    13. Toronto

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. KC - managed to pull out 2 more points in the dying minutes.
    2. NY - managed to give away 2 points in the dying minutes. (with plenty of help from the refs of course)
    3. NE - Robbed in DC, but not at home.
    4. Chicago - a loss away from home.
    5. Houston - DDR + Ching = victory.
    6. Columbus - first loss of the season, just barely.
    7. Colorado - home record, win-tie-loss.
    8. DC - tie and a win, on the up.
    9. Chivas - at least they can win at home.
    10. Dallas - can't win at home.
    11. LA - When do they play again?
    12. RSL - Checketts is writing 3 checks this week, one for Salt Lake City, one for Salazar and the other for Brian Hall.
    13. TFC - at least Esky is happy the Nets beat the Raptors.

19. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    I did this here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531152&highlight=MLS+Power+Rankings

I always put a separate thread after I tally the rankings.

20. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I assume we should place our rankings from now on in the new thread each week?

1. New York - Only by a little. Still excited about Angel, but giving up 3 (including 2 late ones) and dropping 2 pts. to RSL destroys the aura of near-invincibility. #1 thru #3 are virtually even in my book now.

2. New England - No Joseph? Hey, we're getting used to it. Ralston is rolling, Larentowicz looks vastly improved, Franchino made his return, and oh yeah, they've got the best keeper in the league, bar none.

3. Kansas City - Can any defense stop these guys? Gotta say, they're entertaining to watch (now we just have to prove that to the folks in KC....). A good win against a better opponent and they could be #1.

4. Houston - Uh-oh. They woke up. Correction: DeRosario woke up.

5. LA Galaxy - For no particular reason. We'll see if that's justified when the Revs roll into town this week.

6. Chicago - As I said last week, I was waiting for someone to expose them. All 3 Revs goals were scored from within the 6-yard box. That's got to raise some flags.

7. DC United - Uh-oh Redux. Probably a bit premature, but picking up 4 points in as many days is a pretty darn good way to get the ball rolling.

8. Columbus - Tough loss on a late goal, but they've got to start doing something on offense. The defense is doing the best they can.

9. Colorado - That was not a pretty performance by any stretch of the imagination. Hope Roberto Brown is OK; he looks to be a good scorer. Colaluca looked pretty good in his limited minutes, too.

10. Real Salt Lake - Typically, a draw is not also a great result for a coach's debut. But considering the manner in which they did it, the opponent they drew against, and the new coach's complete inexperience from the sidelines, a draw is plenty fine. Who knows, maybe things could turn around in Utah now.... maybe.

11. Chivas USA - The wheels are falling off the wagon, and the 5th wheel (i.e., Guevara) has fallen a few thousand miles off the wagon. Galindo looks good, though.

12. FC Dallas - Wrath of the Bye Week.

13. Toronto FC - A week to rest and adjust should prove beneficial.