Detroit Soccer Thread, Part IV

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Z010 Union, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Discussion continued from here.

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First page. Yessss!

3. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let the Detroit optimism continue...

4. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta keep the faith! But seriously the support the Ignition have recieved this year really gives me hope that a MLS team make it in this town. I just hope an Illich, Karmanos, Ford or Davidson type person has noticed. Without a deep pocket like that it will never happen.

5. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems like those guys have more pressing matters at the moment (and foreseeable future), but yeah, wouldn't that be nice....

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The support for the Ignition shows me that at least a USL Pro team could make it here. We should really be setting our sites on a USL-D1 team.

7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit Ignition in MISL Finals

Yes, the "Iggy's" have made it to the MISL Championship Game, and it will be hosted at the Compuware. They defeated the Milwaukee Wave in two games (the regulation game, then the one-goal mini-game) on Sunday to clinch the series. The Detroit-Philadelphia game is at 4:00 Saturday, and it is shown on Versus. http://www.detroitignition.com/

8. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michigan Bucks

There was a Bucks information table at the Ignition game. Talked to the new GM about possibly getting some games on Public Access TV again. They had the home game sites for the first few matches. They are still working on getting a home game versus the Columbus Crew again. Also, they are planning on a trip to Columbus for the Los Angeles Beckhams (they didn't rename the team yet?) versus Crew on September 30.

Friday, May 18: Troy Athens High School. Doubleheader: Michigan Hawks women's team versus the Fort Wayne Fever at 5:30 p.m.; Michigan Bucks versus Cleveland Internationals at 8:00 p.m. There will be a Kids Zone play area. If the player's Championship rings are ready, they will presented at this game; if not, they will be presented versus the CFP.

Saturday, May 26: at the Canton Cup tournament; Independece Park in Canton. Chicago Fire Premier at 6:30 p.m. 25th Anniversary of Canton Cup Fireworks at night.

Friday, June 1: Bloomfield Hills Andover High School. West Michigan Edge at 8:00 p.m.

Friday, June 15: Saline High School. Toronto Lynx at 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, June 23: at the Saginaw Soccer Classic; Saginaw Township Soccer Complex. Indiana Invaders at 8:00 p.m. (They wanted to return to their "Mid-Michigan" roots for a game.)

Saturday, July 14: site TBA. West Michigan Edge.

Tuesday, July 17: site TBA. Fort Wayne Fever.

Friday, July 20: site TBA. Toronto Lynx.

9. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Detroit Ignition in MISL Finals

oddly, i kinda like the versus coverage of misl. maybe i was expecting public access television type stuff or something, but i was pleasantly surprised.

10. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Michigander...I hate to say it, but I'm pulling for Philadelphia. There are three guys on this team that played for the Barons (which I work for) and went to Temple University (that I went to)...Go Kixx.

11. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Traitor.

Eh...it's indoor soccer. Who gives a shit.

12. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm guessing most of the people posting here.

13. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I'm interning with Comcast Local at present and we've been broadcasting most of the Ignition home games. Have to say I've been impressed with the level of play and its fun to watch Beasley's brother actually dominate someone.

At least this is working here, but only drawing 3500-4000 can't be considered a huge success, even if it is a sellout.

14. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question has been asked in the indoor forum as to where the Ignition should move to next. The Palace is too big, 3000 people there would look really bad. Cobo, I think it holds 12,000 and if you can get it half full would that be enough to look good on TV? The Michigan State Fairgrounds Coliseum holds 5,600, is that a big enough move?

15. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How can you root for a team named after a cereal?

16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Big deal. Lots of non-soccer sports have forums. :p

17. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

these nice michigan winters kinda preclude playing anything other than indoors. a very different game to be sure, but still recognizable as soccer. i can't say i actually follow it, but i'll grab the odd misl game on tivo. and compuware is near enough that if i find myself with an ignition ticket i might actually go.

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I view indoor soccer as I do arena football: Given the choice between a bastardized, gimmick-filled version of one sport and the genuine version of another I may like a little less, I'll go with the real thing. If the weather outside is frightful, it just means that it's hockey season.

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least some places like Total Soccer in Wixom have gotten with the program and provided a full size indoor field with nexturf. It's as close to getting the real deal in the middle of winter without freezing your nuts off.

But I'm with you on the indoor/bastardized version of the game. It's soccer for ADHD kids that think they're playing hockey. I do find it funny, though, to see these overweight 40- and 50-somethings moving slow as molasses playing on an indoor field. Something tells me their game wouldn't be any slower outdoors.

20. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, i know, but i have dozens of friends who play indoor (sometimes 3-4 games a week), as does my wife, and occasionally myself when work permits. most are soccer junkies, and surprisingly (or maybe not), don't care a whit about anything not soccer. they introduced me to indoor, and i guess i've accepted it more than others because of it.

i don't know of any futsal around here (or really, in this country) that stuff looks pretty cool. you have the close quarters and control required of "normal" indoor, but with the added difficulty of no walls.

21. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Hey guys.

In my quest to work as a professional in the soccer business, I've taken my next step and will be working as an intern for the Michigan Bucks this summer.

I talked to GM Dave Morgan today and was told that they're currently looking at sites for the last three home games. He mentioned Northville High School for a league game, and possibly putting the Crew game at Farmington Hills Harrison. The Crew game will be in late May (I think he said the 23rd or 29th) or June 6th. They're hoping for the June date, but it is possible that the Crew will play an exhibition that date against a Brazilian club. Expect an announcement on this game soon. Also the Bucks have dropped their partnership with Vardar.

Anyways, I'll keep you all up to date as best I can.

22. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Its a very good question. Compuware was a great starting venue for the Ignition. I think you would see an attendance drop at the Fairgrounds. A lot of that crowd is from the Western burbs, and I think appreciate having a professional team so close. The Fairgrounds location would keep that crowd away. Cobo would be a step up location wise but its probably too big at this point.

Right now, keeping the team at Compuware and building support is a good idea. Keep demand high and then consider a move if the attendance is consistent.

23. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a little unclear about the Vardar relationship....I think it's essential to have a partership with a local youth club, but I'm curious why this one didn't work.

Anyone have any insight?

24. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I was told the main reason was because of the animosity towards Vardar with the rest of the youth soccer community in the area. The Bucks loved the partnership, for all intents and purposes it was a sponsorship, and the Bucks were paid a nice sum for last season. At the end of the day they felt it wasn't a good relationship because it kept some youth clubs from buying tickets and attending games. While sponsorship is important, I think they felt that the attendance was the bottom line.

Dave also said that the Bucks ultimate goal is to eventually bring an MLS side to Detroit, so they're still working towards that, albeit without an out and out MLS Detroit campaign.

The best way for an MLS team to come to Detroit is by supporting the Bucks so people with money will take notice. Although I've been pessimistic about MLS here, I really do think this is the best way for it to happen. Not for a while of course.

Anyways support the Bucks! Should be another great season this year.

25. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish more people were as forward-thinking as you are.