The John Edwards Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BenReilly, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    John Edwards to Discuss Wife's Health at news conference

This can't be good news :(

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Well, Horseface preaches the truth, right?

He's only a faggot, undeserving of our sympathy or anything else benevolent; you would assume the cancer has made a return appearance, unfortunately.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's looking really bad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/21/us/politics/21cnd-edwards.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Edwards isn't my first choice, but I hope his wife is OK.

And those sentiments are going to go for any candidate's spouse or loved ones in this race, Republican or Democratic.

5. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly.

I hope he is not forced to drop out of the race over an illness to his wife, though I would totally understand if he did. Here's hoping for the best.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that they have two pretty young children. So while this probably isn't good news, I remain hopeful that it's just a situation where Elizabeth will be ill but will recover, and Edwards is needed to be the parent while she is recovering.

Not to be cold about this, but in the dailykos polls, Edwards has been the strongest Dem. So that activist community will be looking for a new hero if John has to drop out.

7. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I'm planning on supporting Edwards as of now. He's been a leader on the issues so far. He's not afraid to say what he really feels and what he wants to get done. There's a lot of substance to his campaign, and less calculation (compared to Hillary especially).

8. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his supporters would most likely go to Obama

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a little uncomfortable talking about this at this moment, but the Presidential election affects the entire planet Earth. My feeling is that Edwards supporters would strongly lobby Gore to run. Frankly, I think Al Gore has a moral responsibility to run for President.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Man, that poor family. I really don't care if you are positioned to make a good run at the white house. Family trumps all. I like Edwards a lot.

I would have no problem if he were the eventual nominee.

As to his supporters, it is too early to assume that he is out of the race, but even if he is, I would suspect that they will sit back and examine the options. For the more powerful and connected supporters, I suspect that they will meet with edwards and get his opinion and will meet with the other candidates (and perhaps Gore).

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it.

12. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mother in law has been fighting breast cancer for 6 years now. It comes and it goes. She goes months with no problems, then every now and then something pops up, then goes away. She has gone through chemo three times and radiation twice.

I really believe one key is attitude. She still travels and still plans for the future. I think that has helped her.

But it is a tough thing and no matter what you think of Edwards or his politics, you can only wish him and his family well.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Again, I would have no problem with a President Gore, but he definitely needs to spit or get off the pot. With the major primaries moving up, and with the campaign in full swing, I'm not sure someone can wait until June or July to declare.

I read something interesting about Gore's apprehension to go up against the clinton's. He would NEED many of the same people to run a campaign. They certainly have had tensions since the end of Clinton I, but he would need to completely cut ties AND find himself a good nationwide organization that doesn't involve clinton loyalists. That could be really tough.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm also very impressed with John Edwards' character.

Whether he becomes President or not, I hope John and Elizabeth Edwards have a real voice in American politics for many decades.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0307/Edwards_to_Suspend_Campaign.html
    Edwards to Suspend Campaign

POLITICO

posted by Ben Smith

John Edwards is suspending his campaign for President, and may drop out completely, because his wife has suffered a recurrence of the cancer that sickened her in 2004, when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, an Edwards friend told The Politico.

"At a minimum he's going to suspend" the campaign, the source said. "Nobody knows precisely how serious her recurrence is. It’ll be another couple of days before there’s complete clarity."

"For him right now he has one priority which is her health and the security of the two young children," said the friend.

As for the campaign, "You don't shut this machine off completely, but everything will go on hold."

16. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I'd rather see Gore run for president and make speech on the campaign trail instead of preach about global warming every other minute.

A Gore-Clinton Administration sounds pretty good to me.

17. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Now it's official. Edwards has suspended his presidential bid, because of his wife's health.

A heavy thing to hang on her if you ask me. I'm sure she'd rather see him run.

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe -- but having been on the fringes of even local politics, I can see why he suspended his campaign. Politicians do not belong to their families. Which is why so many political kids are screwups and why many good people do not run for office.

Edwards wants to be with her -- and I find that a noble thing.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports are wrong. Edwards says "the campaign goes on."

20. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    He just said he is not quitting the campaign.

21. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

He wants both. :)

22. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    GO FIGURE... the Politico, wrong???

Total shocker. :rolleyes:

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With due fairness, the Politico said it got it from an Edwards associate. It's not likely that Smith just made this up (really, what's to gain when there's a 50/50 chance you're wrong?). It's more likely that the source either didn't know himself (as Edwards himself said he only told family before the press conference) or intentionally fed misinformation to increase press coverage of the event.

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in that case, I do not wish him good luck, but rather I wish his wife good health and hope she (and her family) gets through this.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a one-issue rag, the Politico's record is pretty friggin' awful. It'd be like if Mel Kiper never got anything right on the NFL draft. What purpose would he serve?