Is Romney Dead (politically)?

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaliforniaAlbanach

CaliforniaAlbanach New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Exeter, CA
    Think theres any chance of a Huckabee - Romney double act (The Moral Choice?)

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think The Mitt's Cash may carry him through in FL and then on Super Duper Tuesday.

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I don't know how many of you watched the debate.

It sucked by the way.

MSNBC's Russert and Matthews thought Romney easily won. Andrea Mitchell thought McCain won (no surprise).

I think if Romney wins Florida, he's the frontrunner. Too many conservatives hate McCain, and will coalesce around Mitt.

4. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    At this point, I think unless something unexpected happens it's Romney-Clinton.

I believe Michigan was the turning point. Particularly McCain saying jobs aren't coming back. Romney calling him on it. Won Romney the debate.

The Romney haters will have to keep dealing his slickness. :D

5. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I think that Romney would be a far better matchup for Clinton. Hillary's biggest weakness is instantly erased.

6. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

It'd be fireworks.

Slick Willie and the Clinton machine would compete with Mitt.

I think it would be one of the best campaigns in the last 20 years. Both teams are A-level campaigners.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Mitt has tremendous organizational skills (which is a point in his favor), but isn't particularly entertaining to watch. Neither his Hillary, but with her you get the "& Friends." Obama vs. McCain would be vastly more interesting.

8. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Obama v. McCain is a dream match-up, keeping Bloomberg out of the race and insuring that it's a fractured, Bob Dole-like Republican presidential nominee -- McCain -- against Obama's rising star power. That's only if Obama can get past Hillary.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romney clearly won the Republican debate last evening in Florida; even the libs at MSNBC were saying he aced his questions with clear answers and scored high among all who viewed debate and audience... Mitt heads into Florida with high ratings! Those in Florida may be viewing Mitt Romney for the first time via the debate and their perception of him would be mostly favorable... this is a bad thing for Huckabee and Guilliani who now have to fight over a third place finish since we know McCain will likely pull a weak second place in Florida....

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romney is a better matchup for Clinton because he doesn't appeal to independents the way McCain does.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There would be one awesome thing about that matchup. We'd get to watch Chris Matthews' mind slowly disintegrate over the course of the campaign. By the end, he'd be completely batshit insane. His normal amount of spittle would become the Nile River of spittle. The media, in general, would spend months being tortured by covering two candidates they HATE HATE HATE, and not really being able to throw the election against someone they hate, because they also hate the opponent.

12. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's easy to have tremendous organizational skills when you outspend your rivals 2-to-1.

That advantage disappears in the general election.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's only going to get worse - far, far worse. The Republican donors have stopped giving money until they can find a front runner, which means the broke McCain, the broke Huckabee, and the I-spent-all-my-massive-wad-showing-everyone-what-a-putz-I-am Giuliani have serious handicaps.

I don't see how anyone except Romney can win the nomination now.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    That's assuming McCain can carry the conservative base with him.

It's hard for me to imagine a lot of base conservatives going out and voting for McCain.

Rush Limbaugh has virtually said if McCain's the nominee, he's not voting.

I'm an independent, and McCain's the nominee, I'm voting for Obama OR Clinton. It's automatic.

If Romney gets the nomination, he will carry the conservative base, unlike McCain.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not hard for me to imagine a lot of base conservatives going out, holding their nose, and voting AGAINST Hillary.

16. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Partly.

I was just reading up on Limbaugh's site and he says this:

If a couple people, one of the two people (McCain or Huckabee) win this party's nomination, we're going to lose in a landslide that would make Goldwater look like a victory.......I'm here to tell you if either of these two guys gets the nomination, it's going to destroy the Republican Party, it's going to change it forever, be the end of it. A lot of people aren't going to vote. You watch......if Huckabee or McCain get the nominations, it's the end of the party. It's the end of the party as we know it. The Republican Party is not going to go away, but I will guarantee you that if either of these guys get the nomination, it's going to be a landslide defeat and it's going to be the Clintons pulling it off, because Obama is not going to get the nomination. You can dream, but he's not going to get the nomination.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_012508/content/01125111.guest.html

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    McCain is far more popular with independents than Romney.

18. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we quoting Rush Limbaugh in any sort of serious context? Isn't that a TOS violation or something?

19. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    You don't think this is more designed to scare people into voting for Romney in the primaries, by saying he's the only one who can win?

20. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Well, I'd say it's designed to scare people away from voting for McCain.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to offer my thoughts re the topic in the thread title: no. :)

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WAAAAY over 500--sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

Continued here.