Another MLS team will switch to FieldTurf in '07

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SirFozzie, Nov 14, 2006.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    The New England Patriots announced today that the Patriots are removing what's left of the grass field at Gillette Stadium, and is installing FieldTurf.

This of course, means that at least until the New England Revolution get a rumored SSS, that their games will be played on the Fake Stuff.

I can understand WHY (Gilette is a popular concert destination, and the Revs have to share the field with the pointyball team for a lot of the season, with this year adding a movie shoot at the damn field (yup, more pointyball stuff)) and the field's been a disgrace by the end of the last two seasons.. but still.. not happy.

See my sig for what I think of the move.

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gay...

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's too bad. I don't think it's a good move for either the pointy ball players nor the soccer players.

4. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    You'll probably get a lot higher smoking the plastic stuff than real grass...

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

the new-fangled field turf stuff actually does a fairly good job of mimicking grass. I actually got walk around and run on some of it as NYC had set up around 4 soccer fields, with field turf with that rubber ball base, in the park around Shea Stadium. Pretty neat and you didn't have any of the sticking problems you had with carpet. IMO, in the end field turf will probably end up being safer for players than grass. Softer, better footing, and drains amazingly well in poor weather.

6. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    The problem is that it will likely be cut down to pointyball levels, not to preferred soccer levels, and Giants Stadium (which is FieldTurf to NFL standards) isn't THAT much better then carpet... lot of uneven bounces etcetera.

7. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more important thing is for him to tell us where this professional league is that plays on fields of that kind, kind bud, and also how we may get jobs over there. is it the eredivisie?

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's why we'll have to see how Toronto FC plays with their turf next season, as it's FieldTurf that is NOT cut down.

It looks pretty good from the pics I saw.

9. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Agreed. If it was at the toronto's level, then I wouldn't be as pissed about it (although I'd still be unhappy, the beautiful game was meant to be played on grass, not fake stuff), but we know that the pointyball team's gonna get their way on what the field's gonna be like, and it's gonna be one or two steps above the pooltable that is artifical turf.

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field turf will be a down grade over grass but a significant upgrade over the sand the Revs have to play on every fall.

Andy

11. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean permanent gridiron marks?

12. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    EDIT: I said yup, but I should say almost definitely.

13. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is it really that much harder to say 'lame' or 'stupid'?

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So now the eastern conference has three teams on the plastic to the zero in the western.

I thought it was the west coast that was famous for its fakeness.

15. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is RSL out of Rice-Eccles next season, then?

16. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that would mean equating gay with stupid or lame when in fact I'm sure he meant to use it as a way of describing a non-naturally occuring field that is more opennly accepted in the Northeast, Canada, and some pockets of the Northwest, but not so much in the South and Midwest.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Paetec park's field played like a fast grass pitch when the Revs played there in the USOC. I thought it was fine.

The Pats come first at Gillette. I fear the worst (i.e. gridiron rug the whole year).

18. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Homosexual grass?

19. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Crap, forgot about them.

20. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    My Revs ticket rep lied to me--he swore up and down just days ago that no such thing was even thinkable.

So I renewed.

Guess the joke's on me....

21. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Quest Field, the Seattle Sounders have a nice (?) clean field turf before the Seahawks start their season.

22. If they ever want to use their stadium for FIFA sanctioned games it will have to be unmarked like Qwest Field.

23. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not correct from what I understand.

The football lines will be painted on.

Andy

24. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Permanant or not, do we really think they are going to remove the lines for soccer matches?

Weak move.. For BOTH sports.

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How evident are the gridiron marks in Giants Stadium in the summer?

100% wrong. The Field Turf will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade(this can not be overstated) as compared to the dirt/sand that they have been playing on every fall.

Andy