Crew vs Municipal pre-game thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Nov 6, 2006.

1. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Correct. I was discussing him at DM more than at center back. He did settle in a bit better after the first 15 minutes or so of that half. He is very aggressive on defense and seems to be comfortable with the ball at his feet - contrary to Ward and Leitch.

2. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Wow! Swindon! That means he was just steps away from getting picked up by Bayern.

3. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Swindon? Isn't that where all time Crew great Ian Woan came from?

4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    What's your best guess as to the number of people in attendance? Do you think it broke 3,000?

5. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH

6. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's being generous.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd guess 500-700

8. sue4crew

sue4crew New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    According to Eddie C., Bill had just had a pin removed from his thumb due to his earlier injury.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3,000? LOL! Not even close!
    You should have seen it, the place was deserted. It looked like a Red Bulls game at Giants Stadium. Lower level sections like 120 and 121 didn't have a single person in them, and even the best sections were still sparse.

I tried to stand outside and sell the two extra tickets I had, but there were no takers. At about 7:20, I looked around the parking lots, and didn't see a single person walking towards the stadium. (So I just gave up and went it then.)
    I tried to get a good guesstimate count once or twice last night. I wanted to say only about 500 folks showed up, but when I actually started counting the number of folks in some sections, it seemed like it would be more than that.
    I'll guess 750-999. I'd be surprised if we broke a thousand (maybe only if you count all the bored people manning the concession stands).

10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the "piss on the Fire" chant seemed funny and random, but then a few minutes later I noticed the kid in the front row behind the goal with the Fire jersey on.

Still funny though.

11. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin

HE seemed to have the Brazillian touch with the ball and moved around the center of the field well. No way he's a back though - just not the right mentality.

Robin Fraser is still the benchmark, IMHO, for backs. He was physical when needed, smooth when needed, and ALWAYS working back to the correct position off the ball. Plus, Kmart still couldn't keep up wiyh him when RF was 35 and KMart was 22....a stud.

12. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    Are you talking about Gaven's miss? It came within the first minute of play off of an Ngwenya pass. Gaven the goalie point blank and hooked it wide.

Given all the experimentation with many players at new positions, I thought the Crew looked pretty good.

My favorite part of the night had to be the crowd's response to Stefani during the intros ...Annddyyy "Gruenbaum" ...Neeeddd "Grabavoy" ...Steffaaani "Who?"

13. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm talking about the corner kick where Ngwenya was left all alone in the box, had time to settle the ball on his foot as leisurely as he wanted, and then kicked it well wide of the goal.

14. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to toss out an opposite spin on Ezra playing the whole game, and with the captain's armband. Remember the Open Cup final, where Warzycha came in with one minute left so he could end his career on the field (and taking home hardware)? Ezra Hencrickson is a good guy who deserves to be treated with respect, but, IMHO, his soccer skills are such that he shouldn't be a part of our plans next year. Having this be his last experience as a Crew player is a classy way to handle that.

15. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to toss out an opposite spin on Ezra playing the whole game, and with the captain's armband. Remember the Open Cup final, where Warzycha came in with one minute left so he could end his career on the field (and taking home hardware)? Ezra Hendrikson is a good guy who deserves to be treated with respect, but, IMHO, his soccer skills are such that he shouldn't be a part of our plans next year. Having this be his last experience as a Crew player is a classy way to handle that.

16. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I agree and thought the same thing. A nice way for EZ to go out.....