NCR: The Columbus-Swaziland Soccer Connection

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anyone have thoughts or info on this story:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419711

Seems a coach from Columbus moved to Swaziland, taking a 20-year-old Columbus-based player -- a supposed Crew Junior who had garnered some EPL interest -- with him to play for his squad.

Sure, why not?

2. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    One question does remain..."What's American flair?". If you read all the stuff on Yanks Abroad you would think that only South Americans, Italians, and Spaniards have flair.

Regardless, I wish them both the best. I hadn't heard of either of them, but hopefully they can make their mark on the league.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well first of all this famous Columbus coach seems ot have been working over in Pickerington for PASA. He is famous for coaching their U11 team to a club championship.

No, I am not making this up.

Secondly, this Wagner kid may have a lot of famous American flair, but he didn't get it while growing up playing for Crew Juniors. That would largely be because there is no such thing, an inconvenient fact which has been much noted by the famous Columbus Crew fans in this very forum. How hard up are you when you are fabricating a bogus resume and the best you can come up with is that you played for a non-existent youth club run by the worst team in America?

Somehow, possibly due to the excessive hoopla surrounding the famous Kiki Willis, his American flair escaped the entire Ohio soccer coaching community, which inexplicably failed to grant him any kind of All State, All City or All League famousness.

Wagner appears to have spent the 2005 season playing for the famous Cincinnati State Community College, which plays other famous two-year trade schools in famous soccer matches someplace other than on the campus of Cincinnati State Community College, since they don't have a soccer field, a locker room or much of anything else besides one building and a large parking lot.

One thing they apparently do have though is scouts from the famous Manchester City chasing him around campus in between his "Dental Tech I" lab and the snack bar. Assuming they have one, they undoubtedly serve "Nathan's Famous" Hot Dogs, and possibly Famous Amos Cookies.

One thing that IS certain however is that playing in Swaziland is a sure-fire way to get exposed to the EPL, thus joining the long list of famous ex-Swazi players now tearing up the Premiership. Moving to a third-world sinkhole where indoor plumbing is but a distant fantasy seems to me the logical way to move up the soccer ladder. Being paid in chickens is the dream of soccer players everywhere. I understand if Gazidis can't work something out, that Dempsey plans on going over next year too.

If this Obeserver newspaper isn't careful, someone will accuse them of not exactly doing a lot of research.