Full (P)Review of the Premier League. Long, yes, even for me.

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Well, it seems like waiting was the right thing to do. The league and potential standings has been turned on its head the activity of some and the inactivity of others has put paid to a settled league with the usual suspects clogging up the top 8 spots. By now, the world and its mother knows about the arrival of Carlitos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to Upton Park home of West Ham United. The means by which they find themselves there is suspect, but you have to say the arrival of two world class talents to such a team shakes up the league a great deal. The teams who I would bracket in West Ham’s class prior to the signings are now facing said team plus two players who would not be out of place in any side in Europe. I have a wry smile as I write this, it’s like the Twilight Zone or Twin Peaks isn’t it? Anyway, I’ll give my thoughts on West Ham when I get to them.

As far as I am concerned the league starts now. The transfer window is shut, the squads are finalised and there is a sizeable break before the league starts up again, which is going to allow a settling in period for some of the signings. The slate is wiped clean. The points accumulated to this point are a welcome head-start or a minor blip that will quickly be rectified in the upcoming months.

Reviews

Arsenal

Looks like I was hasty in my assessment of them now. They’ve gotten rid of two players who didn’t want to be there any longer and they’ve gotten a proper partner for Henry and the best CB in the league in return. They have a problem at LB, but overall their 1st xi is looking rather solid now, if a little lob-sided with no natural width on the left side - until Clichy returns at least.

You have to hand it Wenger. He may be rubbish at big purchases, but trades and dabbling in the other end of the market are forte’s of his and getting Gallas in is the difference between a struggle for 4th to a very serious side who could finish in any position from 1st – 3rd. The stupidity of giving your best CB to a rival and handing them the best CB partnership in the league may be revealed with resplendent glory come the end of the season – it’s unbelievable – and getting at Arsenal’s keeper is going to be harder than ever.

Without doubt they have the fastest back-line in the world if we take Eboue/Lauren-Toure-Gallas-Clichy to be what they would ideally line up with. The pace in this back-line means they can play the highest line in the league – even higher than Manchester United’s – and get away with it. What this means is that they can really suffocate teams by pushing right up behind Gilberto and condensing space to a bare minimum. They are a natural attacking side, which helps, because there is no transition to go through for them. Gallas is premiership ready and speaks the language and he if being paired with another excellent one-on-one CB who has the intelligence to function no matter the role given, be it pro or reactive. Clean sheets will increase exponentially. Make no bones about it, this is the best signing of the Summer. There have been higher profile signings, but none come close for pure ‘been-there-done-it-all’ proven premiership and world class quality. None.

Baptista will take time to settle, but even in his current un-acclimatised state he’s better than both Van Persie and Adebayor, who like I said in the last write-up, are about 2yrs away from releasing their potential and being ready to be starters in teams expecting to challenge for PL titles. Baptista’s versatility will help Arsenal through the season no end. He can play any position through the spine of the team and that’s going to afford them nuance in formation for particular opponents or the ability to switch-up mid-game accordingly. Henry will enjoy playing next to a player of such force and power, he’ll never get in Henry’s way on plays either as Baptista does not drift from the central area where both youngsters tend to go walkabout. Another benefit of a player like Baptista is that he is not supreme technician and is straight to business. Amongst their over-elaboration, Arsenal didn’t have anyone who would do the simple thing at opportune times, namely, shoot when the chance is there! Baptista, by design, will cut out a lot of Arsenal’s nonsensical ‘Futsal’ and actually do the basic things well; shoot, head, tackle and generally be a menace. Baptista will thrive in the rough and tumble, where most Arsenal players would bottle it. This is going to help them no end against the Blackburn’s, Bolton’s and Watford’s of the league who have long sought to take advantage of the ‘pussified’ play of men like Reyes

Wenger also has no excuse for tactical inflexibility with what he has now. Four extremely different front-men should mean in combination, they have a line-up optimally suited to any match-up in the calendar, they also have the pace of Walcott off the bench in the last 20 of games when needed. Apart from LB and perhaps LW they have a tidy squad now. A nice mix of bottle and flare, youth and experience and the ability to play numerous formations as well as give Henry a rest from time to time. My last write-up was damning of the fact they were totally reliant on Henry to deliver and if he got injured that would be them finished. Baptista is no saviour, but in combination, he certainly allows for collection of points without the need for Henry to field.

If you’re looking for weaknesses in Arsenal v1.1 it would still be down the wings and through the heart of midfield. Fabregas is still a boy and is still lightweight in a number of match-ups, the left side of midfield has no natural left-footer, no natural width and doesn’t have a right-footer (like Pires) who is perfectly comfortable there unless Henry plays LW (never gonna happen) they will probably put Rosicky out there and use him as an attacking mid’ with licence to roam and it’s a proven position for ‘Righty’s’ to thrive in world football over the last 5yrs or so. Hoyte, Flamini and the like are not good enough to hold that LB spot for long, but it doesn’t really matter – there aren’t many sides in the league who have the quality to really get at that side repeatedly once Arsenal find their feet and really start putting sides to the sword. Once they have their proper back-line back and settled, I’d expect them to go on a winning streak and we’ll have an idea of what they are challenging for this season. Previously, I don’t think they had any chance of challenging for the league. Now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them come in1st, 2nd or 3rd, but I’ll hedge my bets and take 3rd as I think two other sides are capable of huge streaks and will have less problems should a key member go down with serious injury.

Probable line up

-------------------Lehmann
    --------------Toure---------Gallas
    Eboue/Toure------------------------Clichy/Flamini
    ------------Gilberto----Fabregas
    Hleb----------------------------------Rosicky
    -------------------------------Henry
    --------------Baptista

Players to watch out for: Henry, Toure, Eboue, Gallas and Cesc. Hleb could be lethal if he ever acquires a goal-scoring touch.

Final League Standing: 3rd

Aston Villa

I thought I’d have wholesale changes to make to this write-up, fortunately not, although the January window could completely through what I think off kilter.

One thing you can say about O’Neill is that he is a fantastic man-motivator. He has proven with Leicester City that he can take shabby sides (like Villa) and turn them into the very best they can hope to be with said personnel. Employing him has probably saved them from relegation this year, if he’s given money to play with they could even finish mid-table.

If you look at Villa’s side on paper, it is by no means the worst bunch of players in the league, in fact, I think it’s fair to say a good manager should expect to take that team to around 12th in the table. This is O’Neill’s chance to show he is a great manager who is ready for one of the big jobs in football by taking this team and over-achieving with them. If he took them to 8th or above you’d have to say that is a fantastic achievement. They aren’t going to be a particularly big lure to any quality players, so even with cash to play with, getting players in who by talent alone should see them in top eight, would be tough. Petrov, Mellberg, Hendrie, Angel, Baros, Bouma are not bad players, and young talent like Gabriel Agbanlahor, Luke Moore and Steven Davies should not be instantly dismissed. If anything, O’Leary underperformed greatly with what he had. A quality manager would have done better despite ‘Deadly Doug’ not breathing new life into the squad with purchases. Fortunately for Villa, they couldn’t have found a better manager to resurrect them than Martin O’Neill. This is the kind of task that will make him and I’m sure he’s relishing it. They won’t be pretty to watch, they certainly won’t win any awards for individual achievements, but they could be a good punt for a strong run in the Carling Cup and a 10th place finish in the league. I’m sure there are long odds on both.

Martin Petrov is a good player for them, he’ll provide pace and penetration down the left flank and combining with Gareth Barry, their left side is better than quite a few in the league. I wrote them up as having a 4-4-2 in my initial review, I should’ve known better as O’Neill does tend to favour the 4-3-3.

This is the gig that is going to cement O’Neill’s reputation as a top quality manager if he gets it right. To date, he splits people’s opinions, but if he does a sterling job with Villa he will have cemented himself as one of the best in England. With regards to Manchester United… anyone who thinks he’s ready to take over now (I most certainly do not) should be watching his season at Villa with keen interest.

Probable line up

-------------------Sorensen
    --------------Delaney--------Mellberg
    Hughes--------------------------------------Barry
    ---------------Davies----McCann
    Hendrie----------------------------------Petrov
    ---------------Angel------Baros

Or

-------------------Sorensen
    --------------Delaney--------Mellberg
    Hughes--------------------------------------Barry
    ---------------------McCann
    --------------Davies----------Hendrie
    Agbanlahor/Moore-------------------------Petrov
    --------------------Angel/Baros

Players to watch out for: Barry, Mellberg, Davies, Petrov and Agbanlahor

Final League Standing: 11th

Blackburn Rovers

Sparky is quickly becoming a class act as a manager. Not only that, he is going about it the right way – building his own sides and completely forcing his will on them. Blackburn are a horrid side to play against exactly how Sparky used to be horrid for CB’s to play against they are rough, rugged, robust, but they are also capable of good football. Tactically, you have to commend Hughes. If a team is outright better than his (the ‘big 4’) he’ll set his team out to make life as difficult as it can possibly be for them, and we aren’t the only ones to have fallen foul of his tactics in the past.

What you get when you play against Blackburn is a war. Win or lose, you’re likely to know you’ve been in a hard-fought game.. with the scars and injuries to prove it. He plays a much more open game against the rest of the league, one that has worked well for him up until now. I can’t see any reason for his success not to continue and 6th-8th is perfectly achievable for Sparky and the boys.

They’ve lost a crucial cog from last year’s success in Bellamy and their final standing in the table is going to come down to whether the new look strike force of Roberts and McCarthy can make up for the loss of one of last season’s star performers. They have a fair amount of pace and power up front still, but what may be missing in McCarthy is that never say die attitude the little runt, Bellamy, possesses. Only time will tell if Benni can cope with the rigours of such a tough team and league. The importance of the strike-force hitting it off is essential, Blackburn are one of the teams that are directly affected by West Ham’s insurgents, and it is vital they rise to the challenge. I don’t think they’ll hit 6th anymore, personally. Bolton’s coup, Everton, Newcastle, Portsmouth and now West Ham all look like seriously tasty sides and you have to add Spurs to that mix. Ooijer has to find his feet, and fast or Sparky is going to be the first man cursing MSI.

Blackburn are usually a consistent side and they have to get that back and sharpish. I think they’ll finish 9th or 10th now. The squads around them have strengthened whilst Ooijer may be a step backwards! We’ll find out in due course.

Probable line up

-------------------------Friedal
    ------------------Ooijer--------Neill
    Khizanishvili--------------------------------Gray
    -------------------Reid-----Savage
    Emerton----------------------------------Pedersen
    ------------------Roberts—McCarthy

Players to watch out for: Neill, Savage, Roberts

Final League Standing: 9th

Bolton Wanderers

Hmm, Big Sam and his team of misfits and free transfers, I’m not even sure what he’ll do or line-up with this season. He’s gone and got rid of Okocha and brought in some hard-graft in our own Quinton Fortune and Meite. That may suggest Sam wants less flair and even more hardness to his team this season, imagine that :eek: Like Sparky, Sam brings his team to a game for a battle and if you’re not up for it, you’re going to cry and whine and probably have points taken off you. Sam’s style doesn’t wash well with some of the football purists, but most people can recognise that it is a means to an end and has served Bolton well, why the hell should he change style to appease others and possibly lose points? Exactly.

As usual with an Allardyce side, there has been a lot of activity in and out of the club. More outs than ins, and surprisingly, hardly any cheap, over-the-hill-former-foreign-stars. Sam brought in Fortune and had Dietmar Hamann in before being betrayed by the player who made his way to Man City. Anyway, such signings suggest Sam wants some additional steel, for what? I don’t know, as his side is possibly second only to Blackburn and possibly Everton for that in the whole league… perhaps he wants to be ‘The Daddy’ and have the hardest bunch of ‘barstards’ in the league.

The purchase of Nicolas Anelka is a master-stroke… if Sam can get the best out of him and he doesn’t sulk then quit the club in November :) Anelka is a superb talent, well he was, don’t have any idea what he is like now. Staying in the inferior Turkish league for so long could have damaged his skill-level, perhaps, I’ll just assume he’s the player he left the league as, and coming into his prime to boot. If this is so I would expect Bolton to finish 5th this season. They have been solid as a side for 3yrs now and Anelka is that kind of quality that can raise them further still. He is all finesse and will leave all the oafish play to Kevin Davies and co. Anelka is there to provide quality finishing, pace and movement and if he is supplied, he will have a tidy goal return at Bolton. I fully expect him to deliver.

Whilst the hype is all over other teams right now, when the league settles down, Bolton will still be the same thorn in the side they always were, only now, they will actually have quality up-front that will bury chances in a fashion Bolton have never had the opportunity to witness from a #9 in the PL. A whole slew of top teams will fall foul of Bolton, I hope we aren’t one of them.

Players to watch out for: Anelka, Q.Fortune, K.Davies

Final League Standing: 5th

Charlton Athletic

Usually a write-up of Charlton would be very easy as they have followed the exact same predictable pattern for years, but now they have new management it’s hard to call how their season will turn out. Iain Dowie is a manager I haven’t made my mind up about yet. If you ever watch one of his interviews he sounds like a bumbling, mumbling reincarnation of Davros (Google is your friend) but if you actually listen to what he has to say, he is no fool and seems to have a strong idea of what he wants from his players and how he wants to play. I didn’t catch many Crystal Palace games when they were in the PL because they were rubbish. As I didn’t catch many of their games I couldn’t really say whether it was his fault they were relegated or whether his players let him down – we’ll certainly find out this season as he has been given a side that is proven mid-table. Any deviation to the negative would suggest our man, Davros, is not worth the wages he is being paid.

I have been impressed with his moves in the transfer market. Getting Hasselbaink was an impressive move. He and Darren Bent are not a partnership to be sniffed at. Jimmy is like Andy Cole – extremely fit well into his 30’s and as such, he can be expected to play 25+ games in the league if he doesn’t go down injured, and one thing you know with Hasselbaink is that he has a cannon of a shot on him that more often than not hits the target. Whilst his scoring rate may be slipping, his partner in crime is going to love scooping up those rebounds for the tap-ins and ricochets. Another thing about such a pairing is that on their day they’ll give any backline in the league a run for their money.

In Darren Bent, Charlton have a player who may or may not be one of the next set of big things in the league. He’s in that category of quality young striker with the Yakubu’s, Ashton’s and Harewood’s who could go on to take over from the old-guns in a few years time. He was the top English scorer in the league last season and I was raving about him as early as September as were a few others. What stands out for me with him, or what did last season, was his range of finishes and the way he was taking his goals. They weren’t excitable affairs or the goals of a player in a one-time purple patch, they looked like considered actions of a player on the up and it’s no surprise he was one of the names people were unhappy about not being taken to the World Cup. Another season like the last one and Bent is going to be hot property. I predicted he’d be at a top club within 3yrs, if he has a stunner this season he could even be on his way this time next year, so it’ll be an interesting season for him and anyone who is following the player to see if he is indeed the real deal or if he’ll fall off into obscurity like so many one season wonders have done before him (Kevin Philips anyone?) One of the reasons you become a top player is being able to play your game when everyone knows about you and still can’t stop you from playing your game. That’ll be Bent’s challenge this season… you can get good odds on him being top English scorer in the league… worth a punt?

Players to watch out for: D.Bent, Hasselbaink,

Final League Standing: 13th

Chelsea

Showing my amazing ability to be fair, I will write a review of them without tainting it with my loathing for what they are. I think anyone that’s read my rants about them knows that I see no reason or excuse for them to ever not finish first with the biggest financial backing the sport has ever known and the most expensive squad ever assembled. In Shevchenko they’ve gone and got themselves the best striker in the world. If he takes to the league like he would’ve when he was young and hungry, they’ll have themselves a 25+ goal a season striker. The signing of Ballack however is not one that benefits them in any way with regard to the Premier League campaign. I would say Ballack has been bought with two eyes on Europe and as a prestige signing. With the way he is aging and the way he seems to be continuously ‘injured’ he may not play many games to the standard he is known for during his time in Die Bundesliga and there has to be question marks about him bottling it in the league when he’s up against the Robbie Savage’s of the division. He has his doubters who think he is just there to collect his fat wage for a few years before going on his merry way.. I wonder if he’ll prove ‘us’ wrong. I personally feel the over-indulgences of Abromovich may well push what was a perfectly fine midfield beforehand, over the edge. If it aint broke… wtf are you fixing?

There are more question marks surrounding Ballack that have been discussed to death on a number of boards on BS – can he play in the same midfield as Frank Lampard? We can all speculate and easily come to a negative conclusion, but with that calibre of player and with the level of intelligence and ability he has, you’d be a fool to write him/them off before they’ve kicked a ball in anger. I remain sceptical, but I’d never totally dismiss them before seeing what they can do. Whatever midfield it is they put out, they start the season as the best central unit in the league. Makelele is the best DM in the world, Lampard is a proven premiership performer and no matter what I personally think about Essien, the dirty ******** is a good player for the way they play and the enforcer of the team.

You have this issue with Mourinho about ‘flexibility’ and the need to have different systems for the league, be it the 4-2-2-2 or the 4-4-2 or the very successful 4-3-3. I can understand it…to an extent, because a switch of systems can be an essential tonic, but, when your team is by far and away the leader in the league, why on earth would you do anything to disrupt them and possible unsettle them? Mourinho’s tampering and Abromovich’s over-indulgence has given fans of other sides the hope/belief that they could implode if they aren’t careful and you have to say, as the squads stand at this very moment in time, greed and possible self destruction are the only things that will stop them picking up the league trophy in May.

Mourinho has come out and said he will play attacking football this year – he’s desperate for respect and knows full well he’ll get none for playing the way he has done the last two years. Credit to him for having the balls to try something new, but it’ll look pitiful if this stops him from acquiring his 3rd successive league title. His quest for status is an understandable one however. To be a manager who is revered by all and one who is given respect, whether despised or not, has to be something all top managers pursue. Wenger and SAF earned theirs by creating cavalier teams who stormed the league and played attacking football that even the bitterest rival fan had to grudgingly admire. If Mourinho manages to attain champagne football he’ll have a lot less critics, there’ll be a lot less things to say about him or Chelsea and people may even stop saying they’re buying the league. You can’t buy champagne football and it takes real chemistry to pull off.

If Gallas leaves, that defence is going to take some serious collateral damage. He is the best defender they have by a mile and he is the glue that keeps the team ticking over effortlessly. Mourinho has said he is going nowhere, Gallas repeatedly says he wants to go. They’ve purchased Bouhlarouz.. whether he’s a Gallas replacement or not we’ll have to wait and see, but Mourinho must know that Gallas is an essential and irreplaceable member amongst the revolving door of that club.

And lo, they sold him! Amazing. They are half the defence they were without him – they have no one-on-one defender at the club, they’ve lost nearly all the pace through the middle that they had and they most certainly do not have anyone anywhere near the calibre of Gallas in that back-line anymore. Terry will be exposed in Europe and the league and they are going to struggle against a-class forwards. They don’t have anyone who can match a Henry or Rooney now. I spoke about implosion. What better way to tip a solid building than to hack away at its foundations? Mourinho has played his card and the transparency of it is a surprise. He needed Cole because he is planning to use that 4-2-2-2 and Cole will provide the width and attacking impetus like no one in the world whilst actually being very good defensively and in one-on-ones. By now I wonder if this is his team or if he is under orders. The change is extreme and I think it’s going to make them vulnerable in the league.

Of course, Robben and J.Cole are there and a fall-back 4-3-3 is always an option, but to do that, Mourinho has to drop Ballack! Drop Ballack and watch him have a temper tantrum that makes Ruud jealous. They may well have bitten off more than they can chew and whilst I’d insist that they have no excuse to not retain their title, I would not be surprised to see another team lift it come May 2007. There are a lot of aggressive, pacey strikers in this league and they are really going to go to town on that central core if Makelele and Essien don’t protect them. They’re going to wish they had Gallas when they get roasted straight through the middle. I do wonder what Mourinho plans to do in games against very fast front lines – if the plan is to attack them so they can’t attack you, well, I’d have to applaud him and if he claims the title in that fashion, you’d have to say well done. Makelele’s job will be harder than it has ever been this year, and at 33, you have to wonder if he can cope.

Blind faith has some thinking their team will win the league over Chelsea. Cold, hard reality would suggest without a seismic implosion or a fantastic season from a rival, the title is not going anywhere.

Not sure it’s blind faith anymore. That back-line is not impressive in comparison to what it was for the last 2yrs. They’ve taken a huge step back in that department and if it bites them in the ass who will be surprised?

Key Players: Makelele (more than ever), Essien, Lampard and Shevchenko. Terry needs to have the season of his life.

Final League Standing: 1st

probable line-up

----------------Cech
    ---------Carvalho---Terry
    Ferreira/Boulahrouz------Cole
    ---------Essien---Makelele
    -------Ballack-----Lampard
    ------------------------------Shevchenko
    --------------Drogba

Or

--------------------------Cech
    ------------------Carvalho---Terry
    Ferreira/Boulahrouz-----------------------A.Cole
    -------------------------Makelele
    -----------Essien/Ballack------Lampard
    Robben-----------------------------------------J.Cole
    -------------------------Shevchenko

Everton

The topsy-turvy world of Everton and David Moyes. They finished 4th two seasons ago and then managed to self –destruct at the start of last year and crash out of Europe entirely and finish 11th last season, which all things considered was a good result for them. Andy Johnson was a decent buy for them, heavily over-priced, but he will deliver. Their first team is solid and they will be hard to beat because of their spirit. I do feel however, that the team 1) lacks creativity and 2) Has no depth to the squad. If the main guys in the first team go down, there is a void in quality. Arteta, for example, has no replacement with similar quality or anywhere near it, in fact. If Beattie and/or Johnson go down injured there is no cover of the quality needed to make a major charge on the high end of the table.

If you look at squads like Newcastle and Spurs there is a strong make-up that can be mixed and matched enough to put out a solid team if a few key men are down from the starters. In order for Everton to match these kind of clubs they will effectively need to have an injury-free season. That’s not likely in today’s game and where Everton are likely to fade out of contention for a European spot.

Tim Howard has a chance to prove his quality as he is likely to play every game he is fit for (apart from against us) at Everton and if he plays well he could well save them a fair few points on his own. Apart from him you’d say the attack has to really gel and the defence do its part for them to get anywhere near top six. Johnson, Arteta, Cahill and Phil are essential and if any of them go down, I think Everton will struggle.

Probable line up

-------------------------Howard
    ------------------Yobo--------Ferrari
    Hibbert--------------------------------Nuno Valente
    Neville----------Cahill
    -------------------------------Arteta-----Osman
    ---------------------------------
    ------------------Johnson—Beattie

Players to watch out for: Howard, Johnson, Arteta, Cahill and Phil

Final League Standing: 10th

Fulham

A relegation candidate, in my opinion. Chris Coleman doesn’t seem to be able manage the side how Tigana did. Fulham tend to wander aimlessly from game to game with no consistency, a few great games a season, a few thrillers and a lot of head-scratching moments. I feel that a better manager would get a whole lot more out of them than Coleman manages to and I’d wager him to be one of the first managers up for the sack this season.

They finished 12th last year on 48pts, but the league was easily divisible last season. Sunderland, WBA and Birmingham City were really poor and a number of sides were struggling. It was easy to pick out the fodder of the league and essentially chop the division up into a 4tier league of CL places, 5-10, 11-14 and relegation battlers. I don’t think it will be so easy this term – there are no Portsmouth’s, no Sunderland’s etc. The Portsmouth of this season are unrecognisable with the fodder they were last term and I think you can say the same about a number of teams that really helped Fulham out by generally being worse than them.

The Fulham side itself is decent. Jimmy Bullard has started off like a firecracker and he’s an instant fan-favourite. Luis Boa Morte is also a good player after that you have an erratic bunch who spin a confusing web over a season. I’ve never rated Bouba Diop. Stern John and McBride really aren’t going to deliver many goals between them and Radzinski is a shadow of the player he was at Everton. Maccarone was purchased from boro, but he’s another striker who doesn’t actually offer you anything. In short, between all of their strikers they’ll be lucky to amass 30goals and the rest of the side are not goal-scoring maestro’s. Combining this with the apparent failings in Coleman’s management skills and you have a side who I think will really struggle in a premiership that is vastly improved over last season. If you look at the sides in the league there is no Sunderland, there are many sides who would expect to get points of Fulham or seriously challenge them though! It’ll be a roller-coaster for them this year. They may just about escape the drop by the skin of their teeth.. tbh, I think Coleman may get sacked before Feb so after that it’d be harder to call.

Hehe, I’ll either have got this spot on or completely wrong! Coleman will probably take them to 5th now!! :D

Probable line up

-----------------------Niemi
    ---------------Goma--------Bocanegra
    Rosenior--------------------------------Quedrue
    ---------------Bouba Diop-----Bullard
    Routledge----------------------------------Boa Morte
    ------------------John---------McBride

Key Players: Niemi, Bullard & Boa Morte,

Final League Standing: 17th

Liverpool

Prior to Arsenal’s last stand on deadline day I had ‘pool in 3rd. Now I’d think 4th is about right. People seem to have been impressed with Benitez’s purchases this window. I think they’ve been average at best. He could have bought better players for the money splashed and although they have depth now, they still don’t have many game-breakers. This was an area they struggled with desperately last season and it’s going to bite them in the ass again, imo. Arsenal were as reliant on Henry, but at least they are an attacking side, and chances will come if you’re attacking. Benitez’s style is cautious and patient. His teams don’t look like they have that injection of heroism that Chelsea and Man Utd, in particular possess. On the roster of each of those sides you have at least 5 serious game winners. For Liverpool, after Gerrard and the occasional Garcia moment, you don’t have this. Mark Gonzalez may offer it to an extent, but he’s not really in the class of most others I can think of smattered across the other sides challenging for the title.

Benitez’s methodical style is good for a win-streak however, Liverpool look like a side that can go on a consistent run of wins and draws whilst not being particularly spectacular. Grinding out wins where draws looked certain, set pieces and so forth, they carry threats for certain. But you usually have a whole bunch of outstanding performers in a league winning side and I don’t see that in this Liverpool side. Their midfield, if they play 3 in the middle, is probably second only to Chelsea for best in the league. But after that, there isn’t a department you can look to and think ‘this looks like it could win the league’ The game isn’t played on paper, but more often than not the team that wins the league has a really impressive looking bunch of players on paper and a handful of players capable of magic throughout a season. After Gerrard I don’t see that fantasy in anyone else they have. The last time Benitez won a league title he had a very impressive side with a number of players at the very peak of their powers; Baraja, Aimar, Vicente, Ayala being stand-outs – I don’t get the impression they have 4players who can deliver league winning form all season long. At a stretch you’d say Carragher, Alonso, Gerrard and probably Reina, but imo, it isn’t enough and they will wilt at times during this season which will invariably leave them in 4th.

Kuyt, Fowler, Bellamy and Crouch is there 40goals between them? Outside of Gerrard, who is going to add a considerable goal-scoring contribution to the team? Sissoko and Alonso are definitely not going to. Riise scores the odd rocket and Hyypia gets on the odd set-piece. I struggle to see where goals will come from throughout an entire season for them and ultimately the draws that should have been wins will see them slip out of the race.

Probable line up

---------------------------Reina
    ------------------Carragher-----Hyypia
    Finnan-------------------------------------------Riise
    -------------------Alonso----Sissoko
    Gerrard-----------------------------------Gonzalez
    -----------------Bellamy/Kuyt—Fowler/Crouch

Or

---------------------------Reina
    ------------------Carragher-----Hyypia
    Finnan-------------------------------------------Riise
    ---------------------------Sissoko
    -------------Gerrard-----------------Alonso
    Pennant/Bellamy------------------------------Gonzalez/Kewell
    ---------------------------Kuyt/Crouch

Key Players: Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher, Sissoko

Final League Standing: 4th

Manchester City

Does psycho know what he is doing? I have my doubts. His actions this window have been decent, I guess, but I don’t see the sense in getting rid of Andy Cole who was their only quality goal-scorer, I’m not about to check this, but I believe none of the others have ever scored 10+ for City. If that’s correct, it’s an appalling strike-force he has there and one that will let the team down time and time again during the season. Samaras, Dickov even Vassel, have never proven they have an eye for goal to the extent you can sacrifice Andy Cole for them. Bernado Corradi is completely unproven in England, to take the gamble he can fill a proven performer in Cole’s boots without any PL experience prior is madness. Ishmael Miller is a player I’ve watched grow up having seen him play since he was about 15. He is a bulldozer, he will make it in the PL through raw power, his prowess in front of goal is not good. Basically, City are a team with no goals in it. The midfield is not going to contribute either and even though this side is decent, I don’t see where the hell they will get wins from if they aren’t scoring goals.

The defence is impressive. Amongst teams in their tier of the league, it is strong. Distin, Dunne, Richards, Trabelsi and Isaksson – I wouldn’t sniff at that and if they all stay fit they could become an impressive unit. Dabo, Hamann, Beasley and Sinclair – there is no creativity, no guile and no penetration amongst them and to combine it with none goal-scoring strikers is going to be City’s downfall this year. A lot of huffing and buffing…not enough…erm…um, blowing.. The bench they have is also devoid of flair and inspiration and getting rid of Sibierski as well as Cole – the two most exciting attackers they had, well, what is Pearce thinking of?

This side is not relegation fodder, but they will not see top half of the table come the end of the season. Their best bet is snatching 1-0’s like Everton did two season’s ago. Outside of that, I think it’s going to be another miserable year for the Kippax brigade. They definitely don’t have the flair to do anything in a cup either. Add to that, Pearce’s penchant for having his teams slump considerably at some point in the season, and you have a glum front on all sides. I think they’ll get the hallowed 40pts, but not much more.

Probable line up

---------------------------Isaksson
    ------------------Distin------------Dunne
    Trabelsi-------------------------------------------Richards
    -------------------Hamann----Dabo/Reyna
    Beasley-------------------------------------------Sinclair
    -------------------Corradi---------Vassel

Key Players: Isaksson, Dunne, Distin, Hamann

Final League Standing: 16th

Manchester United

Now, how should I start this? On a positive, or a negative? There are all kinds of conspiracies being put out there about our lack of a purchase of a ball-winner. The ‘evidence’ against the Glazers is growing, some will tell you, Gill is utterly incompetent and SAF really didn’t have a plan of action once his A-Class DCM’s were off the market is another theory, we’re waiting until January, is yet another. We don’t have any money unless we sell. Etc, etc. In all of this people seem to have lost focus. Our team is not as bad as some will tell you, it’s not as good as others will tell you (after 3games some are calling us league winners) what I think is that the side we have and the squad we have is strong enough to challenge for the league title. The Champion’s League is completely out of the question.

I would like to think that part of why we didn’t go and get a B or even C-class DCM is that we are going to give our own a chance, in particular David Jones. He is not a DCM, this much is obvious, but in the correct midfield I would take him over any C-class player we could have brought in during the window. If we’re honest. David Jones, Darren Fletcher, John O’Shea, Kieran Richardson, Ji Sung Park etc, etc are not names that will scare of impress any of our rivals. But what we should take out of last season is that our side finished second without Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick and yes, losing and regaining a player like Heinze amongst others does have to count for something. Patrice Evra looks a better player than many gave him credit for and hopefully Vidic will deliver when called upon. Along with the doubts about this team, there is a lot to be positive about.

There can be no doubt that we are capable of some devastating football and have match-winners in several positions these days who seem to be gelling rather well thus far. We haven’t really come up against a team whom you would say before hand we could definitely lose against or would be grateful for the draw against. We are about to though. When the season gets back on course, we play Spurs, Arsenal, Reading, Newcastle and I would think that by the end of that run we’re going to have a clearer picture of where we stand this season in all of that we will have CL games against Celtic, & Benfica. I do believe this year is a 3horse race, with Liverpool propping up the rear and being a thorn in the side. It is however, much harder to call an outright league winner now that Gallas has left Chelsea and gone to a direct rival (lol) smh, and it is a window of opportunity both Wenger and SAF will be looking to pounce upon – I would not be surprised if we sacrificed the CL somewhere along the road if the league is looking like a real possibility.

The systems played are a point of concern Carrick-Scholes in a 4-4-2 is just stupidity at its finest. A 4-3-3 with O’Shea at DM may unsettle us and our excellent start to the season. These are issues the manager has to solve and quickly. The next 6games will call upon us to be settled, definitive in our line-ups and firing on as yet, unknown cylinders.

This season we are equipped to deal with small sides in the league, the question marks emerge when you factor in the big sides who are really going to put our midfield to task head-to-head, man-to-man, etc. The roasting we got at Stamford Bridge last season would be the tonic the manager needed to tell him X,Y or Z isn’t good enough, but no, apparently we’re going to go with what we had again. Offensively it is without question that the squad is better now than it was last season. Carrick and Scholes added to older and more mature versions of messrs Rooney and Ronaldo with Giggs in the Indian Summer of his career along with a fit Saha beats what we had last year. We were absolutely reliant on two men once Scholes was out, fortunately for us they both came through. This season the burden is not all on Rooney and strike partner, and I think the lads all know they have to chip in and help. I do believe we’ll be top scorers in the league this season, despite our woes if a main forward goes down. We are capable of 3’s, 4’s and 5’s on regular occurrence this season, imo and every player has something to prove to the rest of the league which is what will drive them on throughout the campaign. It’s tantalising, the fans will be the benefactors.

Another advantage United have over every other contender is that the whole camp is familiar with each other and the only player that isn’t, is a proven commodity in the league, speaks English and has the intelligence to know his role from the off. This is a positive from the negative of not signing new players. People may appreciate it a few months down the line. Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea clearly have problems in their game to iron out and it may cause them a few blips until around October or even longer if they suffer losses in that time. New players take time to settle and get a proper feel for team-mates and the league and that is of huge advantage to us in the first few months. I’m sure the manager has made the point as well, it’s up to the players to cease the opportunity.

Our league challenge does come down to the spine of the team and Ronaldo in my opinion. Rooney, Rio, Scholes and Ronaldo with sizeable supporting acts from Saha. Carrick and Giggs, are the players our challenge or lack thereof, relies upon. In the same way you can say Henry, Toure, Gallas and possibly Cesc would be the spine for an Arsenal challenge with supporting acts from Baptista, Gilberto and Rosicky or; Makelele, Terry, Lampard, J.Cole with supporting acts from Shevchenko, Cech and J.Cole for Chelsea In each instance the team has a spine that must function, the limbs obviously play a part, but without a central nervous system even the best limbs are rendered useless.

Can our lads hold up? I see no reason why not. Unusually for Ronaldo he has started well, history tells us he gets better and better after Christmas. Rooney and Rio are integral without them there won’t be a challenge AFAIC, so they have to stay fit and deliver and obviously Scholes is our ship steadier. We’re going to be looking to him in some of the biggest games of the season and it’s a weight he bears with ease, so I hope he can come through for us. Carrick’s importance will increase as he gets a true feel for the team. I think he’ll be absolutely invaluable in those ‘small games’ against bunker teams people expect 3pts from. His worth in the big games remains to be seen. I would think that is dependant on the protection he gets and as such, is not totally in his own hands. Step up one John O’Shea (smh)

Saha staying fit is important, but it’s not on par with the key men staying fit. He’s had a blistering start to the campaign, but the important thing, imo is how Smith comes back and what state he is in, as he is our 3rd striker and will be the one whose style is as close to Saha’s. Smudger has an important role until at least January and he could well be the crux of the challenge. Yes, Saha may go down, but if Smith is there as back-up, the blow won’t be so severe that I’d think we can’t get 3pts from a game where we would’ve if Saha had played.

In terms of the league if you consider Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal as games where the result rests on a knife edge, and our midfield is inferior, that’s only 18pts out of 114. That’s 96 minus the 3 games played leaving 87pts to play for. It’s within that bunch that title is won or lost. It’s a question of whether the squad we have can handle these matches. Can we? I’d say we’re good for 2nd place and I see nothing in the transfer market that suggests we’ll finish lower. Just as we have problems at DM, Arsenal have a weak left side and Liverpool have an underwhelming side that is again reliant on Gerrard to make a proper push at the title. – I wouldn’t trade what we have with any of them, probably likewise, but there we are. This team is a very strong one in the league. Europe, I feel, is a no chance, but that’s not what this review is about, right?

Probable line up

---------------------------VDS
    ------------------Ferdinand-----Brown
    G.Neville-------------------------------------------Heinze/Evra
    -------------------Carrick----Scholes
    Ronaldo---------------------------------------Giggs/Park
    -------------------Rooney
    ----------------------------------Saha

Or

---------------------------VDS
    ------------------Ferdinand-----Brown
    G.Neville-------------------------------------------Heinze/Evra
    -------------------------O’Shea
    ---------------Carrick--------------Scholes
    ---------Rooney-------------------------------------Ronaldo
    ---------------------------Saha

Key Players: Rooney Rio, Ronaldo, Scholes & Saha

Final League Standing: 2nd

Middlesbrough

I think Gareth Southgate is in big trouble. He’s taken on more than he can handle and Steve Gibson, his chairman, is going to have to show patience in the newly appointed man like he did with McClaren. This year is all about Southgate finding his feet in the managerial game and boro will suffer short term for it. The benefit in persevering is that the club will realign itself next season and be better off in the long term for this season.

Southgate has a good squad in his control, he has some quality players at his disposal, but something doesn’t feel right about them to me. The natural ability of Yakubu and Viduka is bound to win them games, whether Southgate messes up tactically or not. The importance of Woodgate and Huth gelling and performing well whilst staying fit is paramount. I would go as far as to say that if Woodgate is anywhere near his old level and can stay fit, he will drag the side through Southgate’s induction period comfortably and probably see them top half of the table.

I’m going to remain sceptical though and say he’ll break down at a vital stage in boro’s season and have them tumble. On paper, with this team:

---------------------Schwarzer
    --------------Woodgate-----Huth
    Arca-------------------------------------Taylor
    ---------------Boatang----Rochembach
    Mendieta-------------------------------Downing
    --------------Viduka-----Yakubu

Boro should be a top 8 side, 10 at least, but with a rookie manager in charge I just think they’ll be all over the place this season. A fantastic win followed by a pathetic loss over and over again. Looking at the side again, it really is a good bunch of players. The spine is solid, Downing and Mendieta are decent, the FB’s are weak. I think this side is revolves around Woodgate staying fit. If he breaks down then you have to play Pogatetz who to me, looks like a Colaship player. It’s either him, or Southgate, who is old and extremely slow now. Ironically, one more signing at CB this window would sorted all of that out! It could prove to be an omission Southgate rues.

Probable line up

See above

Key Players: Woodgate, Boatang, Yakubu and Downing

Final League Standing: 15th

Newcastle United

Ah, Newcastle, Newcastle, Newcastle. Perennial underachievers with one of the best squads in the league. On paper, Newcastle United should always be in the top 6 of the table. They have some of the best players in the league at their disposal, but they always, always buy rubbish managers. Ever since the Keegan highs of the mid 90’s Newcastle have underachieved and in Glenn Roeder have they found their messiah? Short answer is no. The long answer is that he came in and mended some of the wrongs of death himself (Souness) and in that context Roeder looks Rinus Michels.

Perhaps I’m being a little harsh on Roeder, but his first mistakes in my opinion is not buying CB’s over the entire Summer window. We may look at John O’Shea and Darren Fletcher and complain about them not being the answer, but good Lord, Titus Bramble is a shambles as was Jean Boumsong. How can a club with such a rabid support and strong fan-base constantly fail to sort out their woeful defence? I’m at a loss to explain it and you have to say central defence alone probably costs them as much as five places in the league most seasons. Yes, Bramble and Boumsong were that bad! Steven Taylor and Titus Bramble is also poor. Simply because Taylor is a kid in CB terms, at 21 years of age he has a lot to learn and learning it from the most incompetent defend in a ‘top 8 side’ is criminal. The poor guy is always going to look less than the sum of his parts lined up next to Titus and Newcastle will forever give Given work – they believe in making their keepers earn that coin! Do they!

The fullbacks they have compound the ineptitude of the back line. Celestine Babayaro is allergic to defending and Stephen Carr is an average RB at best. If this back-line was sorted out who could actually say where Newcastle would be in the final table each year? For now, top clubs give them their cast-offs because they aren’t seen as a threat. Scott Parker and Damian Duff being two perfect examples. Imagine Chelsea selling either to us!

Again, on paper they have a really impressive midfield in Parker, Emre, Solano and Duff. It has balance, quality, technical acumen and purpose. Solano is one of the best crossers of the ball in the league. Scott Parker is quality and if used right Emre is a handful, Damien Duff is probably punching above Newcastle’s current weight and it’s up to Roeder to get the whole thing working like it should. In the striking department ‘the curse of Souness’ and his training methods has spread to new signing, Obafemi Martins and I pray our Giuseppe is not struck down with it. Michael Owen’s career is in tatters and it’s highly unlikely he’ll come back the same player he was before such an injury. I don’t rate Shola Ameobi. He is powerful, rangy, has a decent eye for goal and is handful for the strongest of centre-backs, but he lacks the intelligence to put it all together and lock down a starting spot for himself. For the build he has, his game is poor and I will be shocked if he is preferred to the infinitely more talented Rossi after Roeder gets to see them all in training. What may happen is that Roeder goes the good old fashioned English route of putting a lumbering powerful centre forward on instead of using the guile of the short, sharp and technically gifted support striker he has with him for the next four months. I remain hopeful that Roeder uses his eyes and picks according to performance in training. I have no doubt in my mind that it should be a Rossi and other partnership for Newcastle. I think Rossi-Martins would be the best fit. Rossi has played with extremely fast #9’s since he came to England and he’d pick the passes that would set Martins free on regular occasion. Oh well, that’s in Roeder’s hands, isn’t it?

On terms of depth, Newcastle are again a top 6 side on paper. Luque, Milner and Nzogbia are good players considering they are most likely back-up. As ever, the defensive back-ups are alarming. A good manager with a squad of this quality would be aiming for 6th-8th, the lack of a defence would be costly in relation to top 5, but anything outside of that is well within the realms of possibility for a squad like this. I think they’ll finish 7th. I’m going to go against my head and believe they’ll click at least in an offensive capacity and go through the season in a cavalier ‘we’ll score one more than you’ manner. I have no doubts in mind that Rossi will shine there if given the chance to do so.

Probable line up

---------------------------Given
    ------------------Bramble-----Taylor
    Carr-------------------------------------------Babayaro/Elliot
    -------------------Parker----Emre
    Solano---------------------------------------Duff
    -------------------------------Rossi
    --------------------Martins/Ameobi

Key Players: Given, Parker and Duff

Final League Standing: 7th

Portsmouth

‘appy ‘arry iz aht it again, da mappit, would you Adam and Eve it!! The investment, plus his wheeling and dealing has made Portsmouth a very awkward and somewhat dangerous side who play football totally reminiscent of the West Ham side ‘arry made.

The football is fast slick and has style to it. There is no doubt that this team is going to be a thorn in a number of sides this season. Harry has made some unbelievable coups for a club of this stature. Sol Campbell, although on his way down, is way, way above the standards of a club like Portsmouth. He is going to form as a good a partnership as has been seen there with Linvoy Primus. It’s a shame Glenn Johnson has gone down with the ankle break, that’s ¾’s of a very good defence amongst mid-table clubs. The quality doesn’t stop there. Manual Fernandes and Pedro Mendes should form an interesting central midfield. Slick passing, good movement, but a little lightweight for this league. For me though, the coup of the lot comes in the form of Andy Cole – a proven goal-scorer in the PL who is still in good shape and going strong. Andy’s movement isn’t as vibrant as it used to be, he’s not as energetic as he once was, but his still one of the best exploiters of space and movement in the league and if his team-mates are smart enough they are going to benefit a great deal from running into the spaces provided. Lua Lua has his chance to show he can raise his game and match a striker of Cole’s quality this season. No more aimless running for the guy, he now has a quality team around him.

They should be a thrill a minute to watch and they’ll collect their fair share of points along the way as well. Portsmouth vs. West Ham and vs. Reading could be games of the season. The home games where teams have to travel down to Fratton Park are where I think Portsmouth will bag most of their points. I also think they stand a real chance of turning the place into a fortress that even the big teams struggle to get points from.

Probable line up

---------------------------James
    ------------------Primus-----Campbell
    G.Johnson-------------------------------------------Taylor
    -------------------M.Fernandes—P.Mendes
    Kranjcar*---------------------------------------Douala
    -------------------Lua Lua
    ----------------------------------Cole

*I have no idea who Kranjcar is, lol, I assume he is a CM who can play wide from what I’ve heard about him.

Key Players: Campbell, Mendes, Fernandes and Cole

Final League Standing: 10th

Reading

Stevie, Stevie Coppell, legend! The best winger we’ve had between Bestie and Giggsy is now a successful manager for a club making history by being in the top flight for the first time in their history, I believe.

His club, as you might expect, use the wings heavily and are very, very entertaining to watch. I do fear for them though. Their open style is a thrill to watch, but with such a thin squad against so many quality outfits in this league, it’s not going to work very often and probably leave them on the back end of a number of pastings by sides who will thrive in an open game.

I did catch a few of Reading’s games last season and they simply pissed all over the Colaship and at that level no one could hang with them or their style. In the premier league, however, there are troops of better players who really will relish the chance to take Reading to pieces. Coppell is a smart man, I’m sure he’ll try and adjust accordingly, but his is a naturally attacking side and defending by playing all his men back could hurt even more than going for it. We’ll have to see. Perhaps I’m wrong and they will actually out-play half the sides in the division and do a Wigan. The key difference there though is that I think Wigan had and have better players than Reading and Chimbonda was one of the players of the season and he sure helped Wigan with their start. Do Reading have a Bullard of a Chimbonda? Moreover, do they have a Jason Roberts or a Henri Camara? It remains to be seen. Bobby Convey, Seol Ki-Hyeon and Leroy Lita look to be the leading lights for Reading though, and between them could have a major hand in whether Reading manage to stay up. I actually hope they do, I think they could be in for a head-to-head with Fulham for that survival spot. Can they snag 40pts? Will they burn out half way through the season – a huge problem for tiny squads, who can say?

Teams like Reading are a joy to watch and you’d hope that whether they stay up or go straight back down, they’ll enjoy themselves in The Premiership this season. They have Stevie Coppell as manager, I’m obliged to cheer them on ^__^

Probable line up

---------------------------Hahnemann
    --------------------Sonko-------- Ingimarsson
    Shorey-------------------------------------------Murty
    ----------------------Harper---Sidwell
    Convey---------------------------------------Ki-Hyeon
    -------------------Kitson
    ----------------------------------Doyle

Key Players: Doyle, Lita, Convey, Kitson and Ki-Hyeon

Final League Standing: 18th

Sheffield United

Neil Warnock is an entertaining character. I am impressed with him as a tactician, unfortunately, his squad is not good enough for this division and they have not strengthened nearly enough to survive. They have all the heart it takes to get out of the Colaship, but that is not enough, they lack quality and it is going to catch up with them once injuries kick in. The first team will put up a good fight and will go tooth and nail, but exhaustion is going to kick in and that’s when I think they’ll plummet. Fighting and tactics alone aren’t going to get you anywhere in this division – it is not the rat-race the Colaship is and you need different qualities to avoid the ‘straight up, straight back down again’ trend most newly promoted teams experience.

I don’t think there is much to go in depth about here.

Key Players: Webber, Gillespie

Final Standing: 19th

Tottenham Hotspur

I received a few PM’s about Spurs and via replying to them I had the chance to study their team and predicament and where initially I would have said this squad was chasing 4th or 5th at worst, I now think they’re going to come in 6th The Ledley King out combined with the loss of Carrick is going to hurt them for a few weeks yet. The last thing you want as an up and coming team trying to break into the top 4 is instability. Losing one of the best CB’s in the league for the first eight weeks of the season is not good news. Losing the player that governed how your attacks were built is even worse.

They will get over the lose of Carrick, eventually, but when a team loses a playmaker it is often the case that the rest of the team don’t know how to function for a while. There are all kinds of playmakers in the game, from your Henry’s and Ronaldinho’s who sit right up top on the left flank and govern 80%+ of the team and it’s final action. Then you have your Valeron’s and Riquelme’s who sit dead centre, don’t defend and supply nearly every killer ball their team makes. After that, you have your deep-lying playmaker’s who sit deep and command from there. Everyone in the team orbits them and knows that once the playmaker has the ball, BAM, they should start running as he will be looking up and will pick out the run he likes the look of the most. The longer a playmaker is with one set of team-mates, the more accustomed and comfy they will all get with him and without being aware of it, dependency is borne. You’ll best see the influence of playmaker when they are out of a team. The pawns don’t know where to run and quite often you will see the side struggle as it has to bring the ball forward without a key man pulling the strings. It happens to even the best of teams. Barca look a bit baffled without Ronaldinho, Villarreal absolutely melt without Riquelme as do Arsenal with Henry respectively and you will see that a well oiled machine can stutter for some time until the memory of the playmaker is somewhat erased and the team learns how to function without one again.

This is what Spurs will go through until they exorcise the ghost of Carrick entirely. I think it will take a few months and then you’re going to see a new Spurs side who are consistent and showing all of what the new-look side is capable of. I also think that by then they may have dropped too many points to go for 4th or even 5th. In the meantime, we’re going to see erratic performances based on moments of individual brilliance rather than any consistently coherent play – certainly not anything like what Spurs are famed for anyway.

Spurs have a great squad. Once every one is fully fit and flowing it should be a sight to behold and able to hold its own against any team in the league. They managed to get Chimbonda in on the last day of the window and that signing makes their right side look impressive with the frightening pace of Lennon backed by the stamina, pace and power of Chimbonda – that’s a handful any side in the league. The left side is interesting. Personally I would drop Jenas, as he is useless and play Davids and Zokora through the middle with Malbranque on the left and Lennon on the right. The new signing, Ekotto from Lens should relegate Lee to the bench. Curiously, Martin Jol doesn’t seem to have a clue what his best striker pairing is and Mido adds another component to an already confusing mix. Robbie Keane, one of the best players of last season, has seen time on the bench, Berbatov is not settled or comfortable in the league yet and Defoe, Jol really doesn’t seem to rate.

If you look at the squad they have, there is no reason why 4th is not a spot to aim for. They have a quality first xi and a bench few in the league can better outright. I just think the loss of King and the adjustment period to life without Carrick is going to bite them. I expect to see a good run unbeaten from Spurs as well. They are a Gerrard away from having a first xi that could compete dead on with Liverpool, shame that a Gerrard is a £35m player whose a one-off in his generation, eh? :/

Probable line up

---------------------------Robinson
    ------------------King---------------Dawson
    Chimbonda-------------------------------------------Ekkoto
    -------------------Zokora------Davids/Jenas
    Lennon----------------------------------------Malbranque/Davids
    -------------------R.Keane/Defoe
    ----------------------------------Berbatov/Mido

Or

---------------------------Robinson
    ------------------King---------------Dawson
    Chimbonda-------------------------------------------Ekkoto
    --------------------Zokora-------Davids
    ----------------------------Jenas
    Lennon--------------------------------------------Malbranque
    ------------------------Mido/Berbatov

Key Players: King, Chimbonda, Lennon, Davids and Keane

Final League Standing: 6th

Watford

I think Watford will finish dead last. They have the least quality of all the promoted sides, their football on the ground isn’t good enough for this division and most of the teams in the league will eat up that long-ball game for breakfast. Where they have a lifeline is in winter and Spring, when the weather is awful. Long ball has a greater chance of success then and on set-pieces anything can happen. I can’t see them managing to get 40pts in a season though.

Ben Foster is going to get plenty of chances to show his quality playing there though.

Key Players: Foster, King,

Final League Standing: 20th

West Ham United

I can’t help but laugh. Alf Garnett must be turning in his grave. ‘ammers all around the world must think Christmas came early and the rest of us are wondering just what the hell is going on as West Ham become the most talked about club on earth. Carlitos Tevez and Javier Mascherano… at West Ham, eh? It would seem so!

I’ve heard some ridiculous claims that with those two West Ham will be challenging for 4th place! Come off it. First of all acclimatising to a new league, language and the weather should take the pair of them some time and then there are team-mates to consider, learning how to use the two of them correctly and interacting. Equilibrium is not going to be immediate. Effervescence will have to wait a bit, scuse the pun.

Tevez is Rooney’s mini-me. Except for slight variations they have a very similar game and you get the feeling that Tevez is a player that may well break the mould and shatter the paragraph above. I probably sound like a hypocrite right about now, but what I mean is that in and of himself Tevez looks like a kid who could play anywhere on any streets in the world – a scrapper, one who takes no prisoners – this may be so, but it is a team-game and we don’t just have Tevez to consider. He’s up against better defenders on a weekly basis in a league where he can’t get away with certain things you can in Brazil and where he can get away with certain things he couldn’t in Brazil. It’s a learning process and I don’t expect to see the real Tevez for a few months yet. When you factor in his strike partner, I would think it’s going to take some time to form true semblance. In the meantime you’re going to see lots of individual moments of brilliance mixed in with a lot of stop-start play. Stray passes, confused runs and mis-communication, the norm’ for a new signing to a new league (You can see it at Spurs with Berbatov as well) it will be ironed out with time, scuse the pun.

Funnily enough, West Ham had a decent side before these two world class talents were bestowed upon them. They finished 9th on 56pts last season and that was good going for a newly promoted team. In a normal season I would say they could well push for 5th or 4th now, but so many teams have improved, significantly, from last season till now that I wouldn’t expect anything more than a leap of one spot for West Ham this season – and that’s provided the two visitors are there for the whole season and not sold on in the January window.

Where I think West Ham have failings is at the back. Roy Carroll, Ferdinand, Gabbidon, Spector and Konchesky. With due respect, that is not a back-line that’s about to challenge for a CL spot. It’s a mid-table back five, at very best. The arrival of Mascherano and Tevez does nothing to change that.

Mascherano and Reo-Coker make for a very interesting pairing. Reo-Coker now has licence to roam and join more attacks and basically show himself to the best of his ability. He must be looking to seize this opportunity with both hands as well – he’ll never get a better chance to show what he’s got than with Mascherano next to him. Mascherano’s role in this team should be interesting. Does he just sit or will Pardew hope to use him as a box-to-boxer in a standard 4-4-2, the mind boggles. What also has to be questioned is whether Pardew has the know-how to cope with players so far removed from his scope. He can’t teach them anything, one would presume. It’s as absurd as Rooney showing up at Upton Park, really. So one has to wonder what he’ll make of all of this. It’s essential he gets them with the program as quickly as possible otherwise they could actually disrupt West Ham’s chemistry as inferior players either try to out-do them or defer to them totally, either would be bad. There has to be a natural balance that is not disrupted by envious team-mates or star-struck ones. It’s a tougher job then people assume. They would’ve had the same settling in problems at any club in the world, but at least then, the managers have experience of this calibre of player and handling them – it’s a big test for Pardew to make sure these two don’t become bigger than he is. Can he manage? The flip-side is that if these two are gone in January, the team that is left behind might struggle to get it senses back mid-way through the campaign. That too could have the hammers plummet if Pardew isn’t careful

Still, in Benayoun and Etherington West Ham already had a fair bit of flair and individual who could cease a moment and turn it into 3pts. Add Dean Ashton, who is a class up and comer as well as Marlon Harewood to that and West Ham should be alright either way. I really look forward to watching them play.

It should be a fun ride. I’ll be tuning in (with the rest of the world) to watch how it pans out. As it stands. I call 8th place.

Probable line up

---------------------------Carroll
    -------------------Ferdinand----Gabbidon
    Spector-------------------------------------------Konchesky
    -------------------Reo-Coker--Mascherano
    Benayoun----------------------------------------Etherington
    ----------------------------------Tevez
    ---------------------Harewood/Ashton

Key Players: (Tevez, Mascherano) Reo-Coker, Ashton, Harewood, Benayoun and Anton Ferdinand

Final League Standing: 8th

Wigan Athletic

Paul Jewell’s heroes are back, but things aren’t going to be so easy for them this year. They’ve lost all of the major players from last season; Bullard, Chimbonda and Roberts have all jumped ship and the replacements really don’t fill me with any hope they can come in and match the job those three did last season. Just by looking at the club’s that came in for two of them tells you how well they did last season. I really think that was a one-off and reality as well as poor replacements are going to hurt Wigan this year.

Emile Heskey is, well, what can I say, he’s…erm, he’s no Jason Roberts. Chimbonda has not been replaced and I don’t think Landzaat if going to leave the same impression as Bullard did last season. Kevin Kilbane doesn’t particularly enhance the team either. Buying players from lower leagues is a big risk as well. Cotterill, Boyce, and Fitz Hall have no experience of the PL, that’s not a smart move when you’re barely established in the league yourselves…. Losing one of the cornerstones of your defence (Henchoz) does not help either. Tut, tut, tut.

Meh, I think Jewell has made some serious errors this window and although they won’t go down, the fans will be disappointed in this backward step.

Key Players De Zeeuw, Camara, Landzaat

Final League Standing: 14th

Final Table

1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Liverpool
    5. Bolton
    6. Spurs
    7. Newcastle
    8. West Ham
    9. Blackburn
    10. Portsmouth
    11. Villa
    12. Everton
    13. Charlton
    14. Wigan
    15. Middlesbrough
    16. Man City
    17. Fulham
    18. Reading
    19. Sheff Utd
    20. Watford

2. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

DS, do you have a life? At all? If not, then keep it that way, makes for good bathroom reading material for me. :p

In all seriousness, well done. It's a crime against humanity that you aren't published in some medium as far as we know.

3. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I'll be back in 30 after I've read it...:)

4. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started at the top and figured there was no way I'd make it to the end, but I did and it was not only informative but enjoyable. I will definitely bookmark it and use it as a reference throughout the season. Obviously the unpredictable nature of the middle of the table will keep things interesting, but I get the feeling your thoughts will come out on top more often than not.

Fantastic stuff. Just when you thought DS was getting a challenge from TomClare and Vermont Red for lengthy posts. ;)

5. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well done mate that was a great read, but with the league standing I would differ from you just slightly. I think New Castle would be top 4 this season and ManUnited will be the Champs!!!!!!:D

Great work and please more more.

6. mhtwins113

mhtwins113 Member

May 9, 2005
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DS, btw, one quick thing I just noticed glancing over it, I think you've confused Martin Petrov, the Atletico Madrid left winger, with Stilian Petrov, the former Celtic central AM who O'Neill just bought.

7. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Great post, did you make the final table pre or post Mascherano & Tevez's arrival ;)

8. israbeckham

israbeckham Member

Jun 18, 2006
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    u need to find more things through out your life to do then write something for 4 hours.
    i skimmed through it pretty good!:)

9. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one place where I would have a bone to pick is with Everton's placement. I really feel like that side is going to make a solid top 7 push.

I'd also say you over-rate those thugs at Bolton. :p

10. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I'd expect that this is something he's been working on and edited over quite some time...:rolleyes: ...if not, then maybe you really do need help, DS.:D

11. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Great effort, there are few things I disagree with, but I forgot about them by end of the review. So here is mine top 20.

1. MU
    2. Chelsea
    3. Liverpool
    4. Arsenal
    5. Newcastle
    6. Spurs
    7. West Ham
    8. Bolton
    9. Everton
    10. Portsmouth
    11. Middlesbrough
    12. Aston Villa
    13. Man City
    14. Blackburn
    15. Charlton
    16. Sheffield Utd.
    17. Fulham
    18. Watford
    19. Wigan
    20. Reading

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow DS..Great read..but can I ask you what you do, just in terms of living?..Like are you a student or something? Your posts are sooo long, and this one takes the cake. Best post I've seen in a while though, stuff like your material should be submitted to a fanzine or something, very insightful.

My only dispute is on spots 5 thru 8..mine would be

5. Spurs
    6. Newcastle
    7. West Ham
    8. Bolton

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well i dont know all that DCM AM mumbo jumbo too well as yet although ive watched football for a long time but i cant see too much i disagree with besides boltons placing being high and evertons being a little low @10th i believe. seems like ages ago i read that part

id like to thank you for the liverpool bit i seriously dont see where people are getting the idea that the squad has drastically improved to a title winning one now. kuijt is a good buy,ive seen aurelio at valenica cf and he has quality but other than that i see no grounds to believe they will get higher than 3rd. i also see stevie g burning out because of the massive club demands coupled with his international engagements

14. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A very good post. Totally unbiased. Seriously, u should think about a career in football :D .. I'll rep u for that ..

15. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    FYP :D

16. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You a football journalist?

You have two 10th place teams in the briefing text Everton and Portsmouth.

The Hammers team is strong, how it performs with key injuries is a different matter. Hammers are now capable of beating anyone with Tevez and Mascherano.

You say both need to acclimatising to a new league, language and the weather, which is true. Some players settle quicker than others and they are real quality. I think you will be surprised how quickly they settle. Only question is over Tevez'a temperament, who could be disruptive influence.

It doesnt necessarily mean with a good run at the end season that fourth cant be reached, look at Arsenal last season.

17. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Excellent post, DS. Better than a preseason mag I reread yesterday. Nicely done throughout.

18. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Fortunately..we are 3 hours ahead of Pacific Time and 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time here......

If I start reading 4 hours ago..I might catch up with Denver!

I look forward to reading the full post...eventually:D

Nice one DS!

19. Poborsky

Poborsky Member

First, I want to say that was a very good preview, and could easily have been up on Soccernet.com. Good job on tactics especially.

Some nitpicks:

1)Aston Villa signed Stilyan Petrov, a right-footed central player, not Martin, a left-footed winger who plays for Atletico.

2)Boro' can play Riggot ahead of Pogatetz when Woodgate is injured, and he's a solid Premiership player. Also, I think Downing and Mendieta qualify as more than "decent".

3)West Ham's RB will not be Spector. Tyrone Mears and Pantsil (Who played well for Ghana in the WC) were signed, and one of them will start, though i'd guess Pantsil.

4)You left out Citeh's best player! Joey Barton is probably the first name on the teamsheet for Pearce. I think you slightly underrate them on the whole actually, considering that Sinclair and Beasley should be okay as wingers, Barton, Hamann and Reyna are all capable in the middle, and Corradi and Dabo looked very useful against Arsenal. Corradi especially seems like he will fit in better in England than he did in Spain, since he is a physical striker. Also, Samaras had a good goalscoring record last year, and is young.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the subjective stuff, I totally agree with you concerning the top 3, and Liverpool's inevitable 4th place finish.

I think you overrate Newcastle, as Blackburn and Everton should have the mental toughness to finish stronger than the Magpies.

I agree with you on Darren Bent. He is a solid player, and should score at least 15 goals this year (though that includes penalties).

I agree with you that the 3 teams brought up will all be relegated. Fulham and Wigan strike me as the only "already here" squads with a real chance of finishing in the bottom 3, and each look just decent enough to stay up. I think Bouba Diop is an excellent midfielder, and a Midfield of Routledge, Diop, Bullard and Boa Morte is better than many teams'. Wigan have less quality, bus Landzaat was a nice signing, Camara should excel next to Heskey (although I think for 5.5 million, a big striker capable of 15 goals, like Viduka, McCarthy or Jason Roberts :) would have been a better buy).

Overall, great job DS. One of the posts I have most enjoyed in this short season.

20. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Trouble is he lacks Saha's pace:(

21. foyez5

foyez5 Member

May 7, 2006
    London
    Loved reading that DS fantastic! (P)Preview can't wait to see more insights into the fortunes of our team.

22. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Fantastic analysis, and I agree with it generally and think your reasons are dead on. But, I'd like to add a bit. Possibly because I'm both a Manchester United and Spurs supporter, I'm biased, but here's what I think. For consistency's sake I'll address them in the order DS expects them to finish, though it's not exactly the order I expect. :)

Chelsea:
    I wholeheartedly think Ballack doesn't help them in the Premiership. He was brought in primarily to prevent him from moving to Manchester United IMHO. But, he will help them in Europe, where he'll receive generous officiating. I think you may have overrated Gallas and his impact on both Chelsea and Arsenal. Ballack's addition may actually hurt their Premiership points total more than the loss of Gallas.

Manchester United:
    Player for player, I'd say United have as much talent as Chelsea, and Probably are the best team in the Premiership. The trouble was never playing the big games, but rather getting the younger players to show up for the games United should win easily. Consistency, maturity, and returning players like Scholes, Ole and Smith should go a long way towards solving those problems. I can see United winning the Premiership.

Arsenal:
    I was ready for a bad season for Arsenal ... up until they added Gallas and Baptiste, two players who fit perfectly into their team. BUT, remember, Arsenal won a lot of games on the tiny Library field of theirs last season ... they will not play a single game there this season, so that advantage is gone. Their away form was erratic at best. I see Arsenal finishing anywhere from 3rd to 8th. Away games are still problematic, and home games are no longer certain wins. They will lose and tie more than most people expect.

Liverpool:
    I'm a Benitez fan ... but IMHO he didn't help his squad in the transfer window. Last season's players will make or break this team. If they play with the cohesiveness they did towards the end of last season, they can challenge for everything. If Bellamy upsets the apple cart or if they get lacksidaisical, they could finish as low as 7th.

Bolton:
    I also rate Big Sam quite highly, and thought he'd make a good England coach. But, let's be honest, he has some talent, but not a lot. Another mid-table performance is in store. I'd say anywhere from 8th to 16th.

Spurs:
    As I said, I may be biased, but this team is nothing like the team from last season. Spurs added 4 new field starters to the 6 field returners. Until they gel they will lose points to the Bolton's and Everton's of the league, but this will not last forever. The talent level has improved everywhere except at central midfield. Zakora already cost Spurs the Bolton game IMHO, but he'll adapt soon enough. Yes, Jenas is invisible some games, but that's par for his course. He'll start scoring goals. Both fullbacks and our strike force are far stronger than last season.

King's absence hurts, but he's injured for part of every single year, so I wouldn't hold that against Spurs, as it happened last year ... and the year before ... and ... and ... etc. Let's be honest; Spurs have lost only 2 games to teams they were expected to beat.

Two games is not an insurmountable hurdle, especially considering how poorly the competition is doing. Spurs aren't competing with Manchester United and Chelsea. It's Arsenal, Liverpool, and Newcastle that will determine Spurs success or failure this season. Comparatively, Spurs aren't far behind. When their team begins to gel, Spurs will finish in the top 4. Mido is/was needed against the Bolton's and Everton's and Watford's of the league ... and now he has arrived.

The last thing to address is that Jol is playing a different formation. Last season it was a lopsided 442 with Davids pinched in as a 2nd Dmid and Jenas ahead as an attacking mid. This season the formation is more of a 433 with Lennon given licence to roam and Keane used more as a playmaker. This has contributed to Jenas not knowing where the hell he's supposed to be, and Lennon putting in hardly any crosses. That's a lot to change, and I think Spurs will go on a tear once the team is settled.

Newcastle:
    Improved manager. Improvement offensively with Duff. I've never really thought Martins was nearly as good as his hype. Ultimately, they'll middle somewhere between 5th and 9th IMHO.

West Ham:
    This is the wildcard team. The infusion of MSI starts with two top notch players, but both will need to settle, and just like Veron, that'll take time. Once they do, they'll score points ... but unless MSI puts more into the Hammers, scoring goals will not be enough. I see them finishing 7th to 10th.

Blackburn:
    This was/is a side playing at maximum efficiency. Solid all around defensively, but not world class. 7th-13th.

Portsmouth:
    The top half of the Premiership is quite good this season. Portsmouth will not see it.

Villa:
    MON will help, but this is no longer a massive club, and they don't have the personnel to compete. Mid table at best.

Everton:
    After their Cinderella season, their crash was predictable. I think this season they should do well. Beatie and Johnson are rather unspectacular, but they'll get their goals. With Howard at the back, they'll not need too many goals to get results. Top half.

Charlton:
    Definitely has talent, such as Bent, but they'll struggle to see the top half of the Premiership IMHO.

Wigan:
    Unfortunately, this team is not as good as the one that secured promotion. I kind of feal bad for them.

Middlesbrough:
    I'm afraid that Southgate is going to have to learn some hard lessons.

Manchester City:
    I don't have quite the gloom and doom prediction for them as you do. I can see them being mid-table.

Fulham:
    As much as I'd like to see them succeed, they'll be in a relegation battle this year.

Reading:
    Of the promoted teams, this is the only one I think might surprise. They may stay up.

Sheffield United:
    Temporary visit.

Watford:
    Grit and heart only gets you so far, and they simply lack the talent.

1. Man Utd
    2. Chelsea
    3. Liverpool
    4. Spurs
    5. Arsenal
    6. Newcastle
    7. Blackburn
    8. West Ham
    9. Bolton
    10. Everton
    11. Man City
    12. Villa
    13. Portsmouth
    14. Charlton
    15. Middlesbrough
    16. Fulham
    17. Reading
    18. Wigan
    19. Watford
    20. Sheff Utd

-Digital

23. JinJin

JinJin Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very nice write up.

Niko Kranjcar is the 22 year old playmaker of the Croatian NT. A very good creative player much like Rosicky in a way. I don't know whether or not he can play on the wings but much like Rosicky he is also a bit lightweight.

24. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    West Ham finished 9th last season.

I agree that they are this seasons wildcard team as you Yanks say ;-)

Best they will do is fourth. But there is always a surprise team, may be this year it will be the Hammers!

No one expected Spurs and Arsenal to be scrapping for fourth last season. Who will be fighting for it this season. There is usually a decent gap between first and fourth. Hammers had a decent tam without Tevez and Mascherano.

25. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    wow. seriously wow. i read the entire thing and I want to read it again, I agree with the majority of the things (those of which I dont have already been picked out by others) seriously, no joke you should try and get a analysis job. AMAZING work DS.