United Players on MLS Awards Tracker

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GUTuna, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    The MLS Award Tracker is back. For those who may care about this, it can be found here:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2006/

Currently they have Perkins, Erpen, and Nowak in the top spots for Goalkeeper, Defender, and Coach of the Year, respectively. Gomez & Moreno are in the Top 5 for MVP and Boswell is on the list for Defender as well.

Hell, I'd just like to see Jaime get MVP for the one he was robbed of in 2004.

2. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    I know this tracker is pretty speculative at this point in the season, but kind of nice to see Erpen leading as Defender of the Year. Don't know why (maybe the three dozen sarcastic Erpen-hating posts a week on BS), but I feel like he's been underappreciated by United fans all year.

I'm guessing the Boz-luvers will have a cow if Erpen does win this.

3. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA
    Okay, let me take this, as a Boz-luver, head on. Erpen and Boswell have played about as equally well this year. Erpen does some flashier things that Boz can't do. He's also done some far stupider things than Boz has. So Erpen peaks higher than Boz, but his down points are lower. It evens out. For me, I'd rather have the more stable play of Boz, but I can understand if Erpen gets it. I can. It's just that I prefer for my backs (especially in a 3-5-2) the more consistent player over the a little more inconsistent player that can do more. YMMV.

4. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    The question is, who is more valuable. If one of them were to go down now for the rest of the season, which one would be more missed? I understand about higher highs and lower lows, but MVP is about proving value, so who has been the most valuable to the team this year? Nowak ended up taking them both to the All Star match, but the first one he picked was Boz.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That's a dumb way to look at it. It should be for the best player, because the best player is the most valuable. Now if you're going to say value in relation to the rest of the team, then the crappiest teams should get tons of MVP awards (and Jeff Cunningham should be a lock). You should judge the player's season and nothing else. Stupid Chalmers Automobile Company.

6. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Just so long as they finish 1-2 in the standings, I don't care which one wins it.

7. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    The award isn't Best Player award. It's Most Valuable Player. And rarely does a crappy team produce the most VALUABLE player, because the MVP will raise the performance of the team. That's why the most valuable is often not the best player (depending upon your definition of BEST), because value is an intangible quality. It's not only about talent, but also leadership, consistency, the will to win, and performance in key situations, among many other factors. I agree that you should judge the player's season. I never said otherwise.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you that Erpen and Boswell are at about the same level in their development, but I disagree about a couple of points. I think that the strength of Erpen is what he does WITHOUT the ball. He is like at least two defenders sometimes because of AMAZING positioning.

People have been harping on Namoff lately for struggling under defensive pressure. I think that one reason that Namoff is getting so much pressure is because of the pro-active way that Erpen is positioning himself without the ball. Zero in on Erpen and what he does the next time the ball comes down the middle of the field. Watch how many times the attacking player looks to his right, and then decides to go left. The middle is often taken away as well because Erpen has cheated in so far that he is supporting Boswell on the ball. There is only one place left to go - to Namoff who is just trying to mark his guy. It has happened a lot lately.

Having said that, Erpen still obviously has his holes. It is very difficult to develop a game as aggressive as Erpen's and we all see the mistakes that come from that. All I am saying is that there is a method to what some people think is his madness. It is no insult to Boswell to say that he is at the same level as Erpen. I understand why people focus on Facundo's mistakes more than Bobby's (Facundo's mistakes are mostly on the ball, his strengths are mostly off the ball, Bobby, at least as far as mistakes are concerned, the opposite), but I'm happy with both guys. Why choose when you can have them both?

9. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that I can't choose between the two because both of their value comes because of the complementary style of play. Erpen can be more 'agressive' because Boz is observant enough to always back up Erpen going forward or missing the amazing attempt. Quite simply, Boz steadily fills in the space that Erpen gives up trying to make the spectacular play. Without Boz there, Erpens occasional but regular brain farts would cost the team more.

That being said, Boz' safe and steady approach doesn't result in too much boring play because Erpen is willing to try the spectacular and go forward. Namoff's quality is more of an effort guy, and he's getting more attention due to the quality of the Boz/Erpen combination as stated elequently below.

I say they let them tie.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Where would RSL be without Jeff Cunningham?

11. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    Jesus Kreis! I cannot even imaging how bad they would be.

12. Amores Perros

Amores Perros Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Kuala Lumpur
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not convinced that Gomito should be up at the top of the list...

I think if you did an MVP list of just DCU he would be lucky to make the top 5. Not saying he's bad but he just hasn't had an 'MVP' year, meaning we would be ok without him.

It seems like the MLS MVP is just the golden boot not really the MVP??

13. bigbearsmfl

bigbearsmfl New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Why does the MVP have to come from the offensive side of the ball???

14. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA
    Columbus.

15. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Jesus Christ, are you on crazy pills? Aside from being likely to end the year with a double-double on assists and goals, Gomez is what makes our midfield work, he's possibly the best #10 in the league. :eek: