Arena v. Eriksson: Analysis of Squad and Reflection on Coaching Acumen, Style

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, May 8, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, the news of the day is SGE's selection of his 23 including the 17 year-old youngster with all kinds of potential, Theo Walcott. http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0508/england.html

Although another thread was locked for consideration of Walcott v. Adu (and I think rightly so -- think of the kittens) I think this news should allow a look to the managerial styles and predilictions of Arena v. Sven and perform a review of their squad selection with an eye on how it will help their teams perform at the World Cup.

Initially, as to BA -- he clearly has less, much less, talent to select from that Sven. Nevertheless, despite a clear dirth of talent relative to the top powers in the world, he elected not to take a flyer on a young up-and-coming player with tons of potential such as Adu or even someone such as Rolfe who has shown himself to be developing nicely his first season + with MLS action. Instead, BA went with a "glue guy" in Ben Olsen for his (likely) 23rd pick to make the squad. It seems clear that BA elected to take an all-out worker and team player over an obviously more talented player in order to attempt to increase team chemistry and, perhaps, the "toughness" of the mental psyche of the team.

As to Eriksson, his situation is certainly different than BAs in that he is looking at a team with an incredible amount of talent even relative to other world powers. That said, with the severe injury to Rooney and the questionable recovery of Owen, there does appear to be less talent available at the forward position than at any other position. Surprisingly (at least in my eyes), SGE went with the rather ballsy selection of selecting Walcott over more prominant goal scorers Bent and DeFoe based, presumably on the thought that Walcott could blossom as Owen did at the '98 Cup. Notably, Walcott played little, if any, soccer for Arsenal after his mid-season transfer but did score several goals for Southampton earlier in the year in about a dozen matches. Clearly, he is a player with potential -- but just as clearly he has not performed up to the top level on an international stage (well, in the EPL anyway) to the extent that Defoe and Bent have.

This, in my mind, is a very interesting contrast between the two managers and I am fascinated to see how this plays out in the world cup. SGE, always known as more of a cold, tactical, technocrat has gone with a ballsy and rather unusual decision in selecting a young player without a cap but all kinds of potential at a position where England is clearly questionable at the Cup. Conversely, Arena has gone more with guts and vinegar instead of talent in youth despite a relative lack of overall talent -- especially in attacking positions.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    FWIW - a lot of England fans are going ballistic. They have a forward line of Rooney, Owen, Crouch, and Walcott.

A man in an oxygen tank, a player who's played approximatly 80 competitive minutes since New Years Day, a dude who migh trip over his own feet at any second - walking down the sidewalk, and a 17 year old who's never played a Premiership second.

On standby is Jermaine Defoe, who split times with tottenham's strike force, Darren Bent, who was the top scorer in the Premiership, and even Dean Ashton. a guy has done nothing but score goals since making the switch. That is a HECK of a lot different from Arena's situation. Esepecially since Adu is an attacking midfielder rather than a striker. Josh wolff covers the spot that either Rolfe or Adu would. And EJ covers both spots. Arena, IMHO, played this far better than Sven did

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The big difference is, one guy hopes to win the World Cup, the other guy wants to perform respectably and advance to the second round.

So Sven looks at somebody like Darren Bent and says, "Nah, just another good EPL player. I'll take Theo, because if he plays up to his potential he could be this Cup's Michael Owen."

Whereas Arena facing the same situation would say, "I can't afford to take Theo, because I need all 11 players contributing for us to get results. With Darren, I know that I'll get a guy who can help."

Different mindsets. Sven hates the idea of getting knocked out in the quarters again, while Bruce would be delighted, would view that as an important consolidation step.

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to agree with Appoo here. Adu is promising and talented, but plays in a very crowded midfield, our strongest position. I'd take Andy Johnson over Theo Walcott in a section if I were in Sven's shoes.

Well you know, if it backfires on him, it's not like he's going to get fired or anything.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Still think the Bruce should have shown some balls and picked Cooper....I know, he only ever played for Man Utd reserves and never got a call up.....and lord knows you sure can't pick a player who's never played in the first team....

6. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good discussion starter, especially because these are two of the longest-tenured coaches at the World Cup. Having a full cycle to prepare, both Eriksson and Arena are 100% responsible for these rosters.

I particularly enjoyed this quote from Sven:

In my eyes, taking an injured Rooney is already the gamble pick. Look at this worst-case scenario: Rooney doesn't make it back in time and Owen is still rusty. That leaves Peter Crouch and a completely untested Walcott. Say what you will about Adu, at least he played...Walcott is nowhere near match-fit. How pissed is Darren Bent right now? ;)

Now, here's Arena's quote about his gamble, John O'Brien:

Our worse-case scenrio: O'Brien gets hurt, but too late to replace him on the roster. This still leaves Reyna and Mastroeni to run the show in the middle of the field. This would also mean more minutes for Dempsey and Olsen than initially planned. This isn't ideal, but it isn't the black hole that is England's nightmare.

This probably reading far too much into a few quotes, but this quote about O'Brien enforces my belief that Arena is a master planner. He does everything for a reason; people may not agree with his decisions, but you can at least understand how he could come to such decisions. Had he picked Adu, there would have been something driving the pick other than "he is a great talent."

7. Soccernethost

Soccernethost New Member

Apr 16, 1999
    Would love to see a poll on the question of whether Freddy Adu is a better soccer player, today, than Ben Olsen.

I know which way I'd vote.

8. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear on my position (since perhaps I was a bit vague in the start) -- I think Sven is a total idiot and BA is a genius (I think that may be clear).

That said, I have little doubt that Sven has forgotten 10x more about soccer than I have ever known but I simply cannot understand what he is thinking. With Rooney at less than 50% chance of playing even if they make it to the knockout rounds and Owen at a O'Brienesque level of fragility, I don't see how on earth he doesn't pick a more established forward to go along with their team. The one thing that the England squad seems to have problems with is leadership and team unity and I think Walcott may lead to further problems in this regard. They have all the talent in the world -- why not pick more of a sure bet than gamble potentially everything on a 17 year old kid.

AND, most importantly, if you are going to make that gamble WHY NOT CALL HIM IN FOR A FRIENDLY BEFORE THE SELECTIONS -- England played Argentina not all that long ago and I did not see Walcott's name on that roster -- what has he done in the past couple months that has changed that??? I just don't get it.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I also have issues on how Sven built his squad here. If Becks gets hurt you'll hjave 17 year old Aaron Lennon replacing him. yea - SWP hasn't seen much time...but that's just nuts. You at least KNOW what you'll get around SWP and be able to plan around him. That's why I didn't mind Bruce's selections of Albright/Hejduk. They aren't the most talented players out there byt you know what? you'd rather have them rather than someone like Marvell Wynne or Tim Ward, two kids who are BOTH more talented, beecuse you can at least game plan around the former players. Then you look at the left side of the midfield, you have Joe Cole, who is gonna end up playing a withdrawn role similar to what Donovan does for USA for....Stuart Downing? The guy just barely got back to full fitness while Keiran Richardson has been playing some of the best soccer of his career in the 2nd half of the season. oh, and Downing is the ONLY left-footed winger on the squad other than Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge, both of whom are defenders. And this a side with NINE midfielders....and just ONE Left-Sided attacking winger? for a team that's gonna dependant upon service from the wings with Rooney out?

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Ben Olsen

11. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

Bent didnt' even make the standby list. Pretty silly

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

believe he just recently turned 19....and anyway the Bruce did say that the World Cup is a "young mans game"....maybe shoulda took his own advice...

13. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Though more nuanced than the Walcott selection, this one also is a huuuge headscratcher, especially for anyone who watched the ManU match over the weekend -- Richardson looked all-world there.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another consideration is that regardless of what happens, SGE will probably be able to get lots of jobs elsewhere after the WC. Bruce Arena might not get offers from Europe even if he does well because he's American. It's hard to take risks when you're in that situation.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just to round out the situation.

Sven has talked about playing Joe Cole as a forward should he be needed.

I agree with you; it seems a gamble that that he doesn't need to take. The idea that Rooney and Owen will be anything close to their best is lunacy. Rooney's going to running with a walker, and how many games has Owen played in the past year? So why not take Defoe or Bent. I don't think Bent even made the alternate list if I remember correctly.

So if Rooney and Owen can't make it, is he going with a starting forward line of Crouch and Cole for EVERY GAME??? You can't start Walcott with a straight face can you? And if you play Cole at forward, then you play Downing as a left mid.

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy.

16. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what you are looking for in a soccer player imo. I agree with your implication that, at this moment, Ben is the better all-around soccer player. But, if you are down and need to play very attacking soccer, I think Freddy can probably bring some things to the match that Ben cannot. Just my opinion and I really don't want this to turn into a Freddy Adu thread.

17. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Saw the selection on TV over here. I gotta say, Sven didn't impress. I know english isn't his native language, but when I compare his discussion to BA's, it sounds like Bruce thought everything out. Sven sounds more like he FELT everything out, going with his gut. He even said as much. It just didn't sound like he put much deep analysis into his selection. I know I'm being too harsh, but that's the impression I got.

I'd take BA's method over Sven's any day. I don't consider it being risk averse by taking Bent over Walcott, I consider it being smart. If Walcott had played any sort of significant minutes for Arsenal whatsoever, maybe I'd change my mind. If the other strikers chosen weren't injured, just coming off injury, or a lurp, maybe I'd also change my mind. But you put those 2 facts together, and it looks downright stupid.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

not that young :p

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

unfortunately Charlton Athletic didn't qualify for the World Cup...

20. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither did any of the opponents of the Arsenal reseve squad, I believe. ;)

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

or Stesua of...whatever the hell country they are from.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

good point....but Kieron Richardson just ain't that good....and Sven knows what he has with him,Defoe, Johnson,Bent etc....Theo just may, just may, be the difference maker....that these guys aren't...we shall see....personally I LOVE it that both he and Lennon are in the squad..

23. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Sven's always had the problem of getting Lampard and Gerrard on the field at the same time.

But now, he's got ONE striker who's played in the prem who's healthy. (Hint: he's big, he's red, his feet stick out the bed).

So, by dumb luck, his problem is solved. You put Crouch up top as a lone target man, or even Owen as a lone striker if he's healthy enough, and let Gerrard and Lampard play as dual attacking midfielders behind him. You sit a holding midfielder (Hargreaves or Carrick) in front of a four man backline, with Beckham and Cole on the wings, and all of a sudden Sven looks like a genius for solving the midfield problem, even though he basically has no other choice.

Now, when a goal is needed, you can take off your holding midfielder and replace him with Walcott up front, and take off Beckham for Lennon, and you've got instant speed, and the goals might come from anywhere.

Now, if Wayne Rooney was never hurt, you'd still see the same old 4-4-2 with two attacking midfielders and a dreadfully exposed backline. But now, injuries have forced Sven to do what he probably should have been doing all along...taking some risks, changing things up.

Sorry, rant over. I think Bruce's overall tactical approach is to adapt his formation and system to the players he has available, as opposed to SVE basically plugging whatever players he has into a rigid system...but now he's got change it up similar to what Bruce does...will be an interesting study to see how he does so.

24. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sven did similar things that Arena did, however his choices have a far reaching impact than Arena's will.

Sven...not choosing Bent is like Arena not choosing Twellman...Bent probably would have helped Sven more than Twellman would have helped Bruce.

Sven choosing Alcott is the same as Arena not choosing Adu. This seems clear. Adu plays pretty regularly in MLS..Alcott hasn't played at all. Not picking Wright-Phillips is a mistake over picking Alcott. SWP would have helped England. In Arena's case...ADU would have definitely been a better choice than Olsen...Olsen was once a wonder boy on the Nats..but that was before when he looked like Sampson...

Owen is a given..if he's healthy..like McBrice is a given and he IS healthy.

Crouch is a sentimental choice..similar to Josh Wolff...

Clearly here...England has much more to lose with these picks than the USA..

RevsFanDan

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    one has driven his team up in world stature, the other has driven his team down in World stature.