My $399,005 Team.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Using the Washington Post's MLS salary page here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/mls/longterm/2006/mls.salaries.html

I assembled this team made up entirely of players who have 1) managed to show something in MLS and 2) have "full" salaries below $50,000. (Sorry, no Chris Rolfe...)

GK Perkins $29,400
    D Segares $46,000
    D Boswell $29,400
    D Regan $36,000
    D John $36,750
    M Dorman $29,400
    M Simms $43,750
    M Thiago $42,000
    M Grabavoy $45,405
    F Walker $29,400
    F Sealy $31,500
    $399,005

I'm thinking there have been many an MLS lineup over the years that this team would beat...

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    interesting lineup indeed.

3. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    i would have broke the bank for rolfe

and taken that team to both cups and the shield

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I bet Rolfe would take a $0.01 pay cut to be able to play on your team. Then Walker could be a super sub just like for DC.

Some of those salaries are mind boggling. How does MLS do it? Some sorta voodoo magic, or more likely blackmail.

5. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Rounding out the 18 man roster I'd add:

Zach Wells 48,000
    Tim Ward 44,125
    Clarence Goodson 48,575
    Jack Jewsbery 29,400
    Hunter Freeman 48,500
    Chad Barrett 44,250
    Herculez Gomez 47,000

I'd say not half bad in the depth department, although its debatable if a couple of these guys have "shown" something in MLS.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The only salary on that list that's surprising is Scott Sealy's.

Perkins, Boswell, Simms, Dorman, and Walker are all recent college graduates who were completely unheralded leaving college; Segares and Regan were almost the same thing.

Of the others, Grabavoy's earning what a college star who still isn't a starter should be, Thiago came from the Brazilian 4th division or so, and Avery John's just not very good.

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Very interesting lineup.

You wonder how they'd do as a team, but I like almost each and every one of those players on their current teams. I would wonder how Walker and Dorman would do with alot more playing time-- but they've been more than adequate as subs.

Great post.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Couple thoughts on the responses.

Wells, Ward, Goodson, Barrett and Freeman (among others) were all players I considered. Lots of room for argument here. Gomez was actually just an oversight on my part -- I missed him, and would probably have dropped Walker (who I really like to watch play) for him.

Avery John had some competition for that spot, but hey -- he's going to Germany. Gotta have a World Cup player in a World Cup year!

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    You could drop Jewsbury's 29,400 salary in midfield for some competition. He's started every game (though it looks like Jermaine Hue is taking his spot this week) and has left virtually no one sad that Klein isn't on the field.

10. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That team would beat Real Salt Lake - at about 1/5 what RSL is paying their team.

11. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also:

Defense:

Lawson Vaughn (11,800)
    Jonathan Bornstein (28,000)
    Matt Groenwald (28,000)
    Kevin Goldthwaite (29,400)
    Jeff Parke (46,250)

Midfield:

Eric Vasquez (16,500)
    Arturo Alvarez (44,456)
    Josh Gardner (37,267)
    James Riley (29,400)
    Danny O'Rourke (39,125)

Forward:

Chad Barrett (44,250)
    Knox Cameron (16,500)
    Fabrice Noel (28,000)

None of these are blow-you-away type players, but they're all solid players under 50,000 USD.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yep.

I tried to lay off the rookies (in part because many developmental salaries are so low as to be comical) though the ones you listed are looking solid so far.

I'm real interested in Noel too, but he still looks like one for a year or two down the road.

It was hard finding lefties and I thought about Gardner, but in the end just thought Dorman had shown more in the league so far.

Vasquez was one I thought about. Obviously has a bomb of a shot.

Interesting about Parke since based on the first three weeks of the season one might say him and Regan are moving in very different directions than what you'd have expected, say, two years ago. Is Regan this year's Kerry Zavagnin Memorial "Back from the Dead" Story?

13. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Very interesting.

What's scary is that you could probably also put together like a 4M or 5M that still comes in underneath the cap.

It's a great system.

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Danny O'Rourke has looked lost this year.

15. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Presumably the guys who see regular playing time will get a raise on or before the expiration of their contracts. Josh Gros could have made this team last year, but he apparently got a $42K raise during the off-season. I think part of this MLS experiment every year is to pay the new guys as little as possible, and then eventually reward the ones who perform.

16. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    To one-up you Dave, I decided to create a 16 man game-day roster for under the price of your starting 11 that I feel could be competitive in MLS. To do so I decided to take no players whose base salary was more than $30,000. My starting 11 would be a 4-3-3:

GK Perkins $29,400
    LB Bornstein $28,000
    CB Boswell $29,400
    CB Yi $29,400
    RB Groenwald $28,000
    CM Pitchkolan $16,500
    CM Vazquez $16,500
    CM Jewsbury $29,400
    RW Walker $29,400
    CF Kamara $30,000
    LW Noel $28,000

Total Cost of Starting 11: $294,000

Bench:

GK Gaudette $11,700
    D Hernandez $28,000
    M Dorman $29,400
    M Cila $16,500
    F Cameron $16,500

Total Cost of Bench: $102,100

Total Cost of 18-Man Roster: $396,100

All of these players have experience in MLS and are proven role players. The question would be how well they could handle the extra responsibility. The Defense would be as solid as half the current defenses in MLS with great attacking outside backs. The Mid would be the weak spot, but all three players here have been known to score a few goals and are adequate defensively. Up front there's speed and athleticism to burn which would worry any defense in MLS. The Bench too would have solid backups for every position. I'd be willing to wager this team would finish above the bottom places.

Well there you have it, I'm ready for an MLS GM position :)

17. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but he's also not been given consistent minutes in his career. He's got loads of potential, but right now, you're right, he's a red card waiting to happen. Still worth the price though.

18. soccer1055

soccer1055 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Perkins, Boswell, Simms, Dorman, and Walker are all recent college graduates who were completely unheralded leaving college; Segares and Regan were almost the same thing.

If my memory serves me correctly, that is not true about Segares - he was one of the three finalists for the Mac Hermann trophy his last year in college

19. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I know, I know, I was just trying to be succint. Segares was a bigger deal than the other guys, but he still didn't have much leverage with the league - he was 22, he didn't have any non-MLS suitors, etc., which was why he signed a developmental contract with the league last year. What's most surprising about Segares is that he's currently making so much (maybe Costa Rica came calling?), not that he's making so little.

20. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    You put together an A-league team that wouldn't draw well.
    As a fan I want to see Donovan, EJ, Ruiz, Dempsey, etc.
    Rolfe is also a fun player to watch. He will get his well deserved pay increase when he negotiates his contact.

21. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you were a smart MLS GM, you would have picked Marvell Wynne, Ramon Nunez and Brad Guzan in goal, because even though they are making around $300,000 between them, none of it counts against the cap. (Neither does Grabavoy, so subtract him from your total. ;) )

It's an interesting lineup, but would need the right coach to take it to the next level. And I can predict after a while you might want to break the bank for at least one player with the individual brilliance to change a game when the younger players run out of ideas...

He's got a point about drawing fans, of course. And while you're at it, one injury and you're screwed. ;)

Rolfe has already renegotiated his contract--he was on the DEV roster last year at $16,500, so he's had his salary almost tripled this year. Add in some bonuses he's probably getting that the article has clearly missed, and a potential All-Star appearence this year, and he's got more cash (and a higher cap number) than what the article claims. Next year I'm sure he'll get another good raise, but working your way up from a rookie salary doesn't happen overnight--just ask Dempsey and Noonan.

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    ... or Twellman...

He and Ruiz both would have made this team in years past...

23. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saying you can build a team of cheap players is all good and well, but you're ignoring the fact that all those guys had to be drafted. No one team is going to be able to have first dibs on all the cheap young talent. That's the whole point of the draft. It's designed to help each team add some cheap help to pad out their squads and have comeptition for places.

You'll notice players like Segares (who was onl $11,700 last year) and Herculez got substantial pay rises within 12 months of hitting the roster.

So, even your young team - impossible though it is to assemble - would get expensive quickly, and if it didn't, it's because those players aren't good enough.

24. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or, indeed, any of the Generation Adidas players (10 or so each year). That could even include Freddy? Or did he 'graduate' this season? Isn't Dempsey still GA too?

25. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Your point sounds entirely reasonable, but it surprisingly turns out to be wrong.

Perkins-- he was undrafted
    Segares-- he was a 3rd round pick in 2005
    Boswell-- he was undrafted
    Regan-- he was a 3rd round pick in 2003
    John-- is a senior international (did they use a disco on him?)
    Dorman-- a sixth round pick in '04
    Simms-- from the USL (a discovery?)
    Grabavoy-- a 2nd round pick in '04
    Walker-- a 4th round pick in '03
    Sealy-- a 1st round pick in '05.

So, the total draft picks used would have been:
    2003: 3rd and 4th round
    2004: 2nd and 6th round
    2005: 1st and 3rd round.

At first, I was shocked-- your post makes perfect sense. But there is an obvious reason it worked out like this: most of the first round picks get bigger starting paychecks, which means they were automatically excluded from this list. So, naturally, most of the cheap guys are also later round draft picks.

So, I guess the biggest hurdle to assembling this squad is actually knowing in advance which of these late round picks would work out. Guys like Boswell, Walker and Dorman came out of nowhere.

This exercise also tells us something else: talent development is pretty scattershot. I'm sure that's true for any league, but you wonder if it's especially true for MLS given how thinly scouted this country is. When guys go undrafted and then come in and make an impact, like Boswell did last year, it suggests that the draft scouting process hasn't worked quite as well as it should.