NFR - matches on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by partycentral, Apr 24, 2006.

1. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    Tuesday, April 25, 2:30 pm EST

UEFA Champions League - LIVE!
    Villarreal CF vs. Arsenal FC
    Estadio El Madrigal Villarreal, Spain

Saturday, April 29, 4 PM

2006 Major League Soccer - LIVE!
    LA Galaxy vs Real Salt Lake
    Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Sunday, April 30, 1 PM EST

2006 MISL Championship - LIVE!

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN pisses me off. They're showing both legs of the Arsenal - Villareal tie when AC Milan and Barça are still in it.

3. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    Agreed. But my only goal is to get the sport more tv coverage in general by trying to increase viewership, which is why I post these reminders.

4. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't checked their schedule but FOX Soccer seem to have rights to AC Milan games (or at least some games and some programming) and might show that match sometime this week, although not live - then again maybe not.

5. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    I seem to recall seeing that Sentanta (sp?) having that game listed.

6. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Get DirectTV, get Seatanta(12 $ per month). Well worth it. Mialn v Barca today on Setanta 1:30pm. DO NOT TRUST ESPN. Instead of broadcasting this game, they will televise US jump rope contest! If you think ESPN will televise the WC as they have promised, you are fooling yourself. Make alternative viewing plans. The FIFA official who sold the rights to ESPN should be fired. ESPN is no friend to soccer and is not a long-term relationship.

7. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Ya I guess the fact that they've contractually broadcast three successive World Cups should have no bearing on whether or not they'll show this one...

Douchebag.

8. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    "Douchebag" a bit harsh, don't you think?

9. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depending.

Setanta are jerks, don't give them any money.

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I thought I saw that todays' game was on ESPN Deportes. I don't get it, but I did see that somewhere.

11. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Enjoy the Jump Rope Nationals. And follow along at home. I will be watching Setanta.

12. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    FC Barcelona:AC Milan is on ESPN Deportes.

13. djaeb2000

djaeb2000 Member

Jun 6, 2000
    ~~~Arsonists~~~
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ESPN soccer coverage is a joke. They have some of the worst announcers for the MLS games, and most of the time they have no idea what there talking about...

PEACE
    dj arsonist

14. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, well I guess now they MUST show the next Barça game.

Unless...

15. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    It's true. But I like those 2 homers that call the Salt Lick games. The British color guy is hilarious.

I really like Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth (that's Smyth with a y) on the UEFA games on ESPN2.

WOCK (Dish channel 13) also broadcasts but I haven't seen enough to know what they are.

16. moddyg

moddyg New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Clinton IL
    Tommy Smyth is the Harry Caray of soccer--he completely misses calls, doesn't understand the rules, and his "there's the bulge in the back of the old onion bag" is basically the same as "Holy Cow" except longer and not as funny. I like his accent but besides that he's basically useless--pointing out the obvious (Motson-esque) or just plain wrong (especially on some of the finer points, re: dropped balls for restarts, "intent" on handballs, the passive offside rule, and the whole "captain can argue with the ref" thing). Give me Max Bretos any day.

17. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Max Bretos over Tommy Smyth, are you mad? Max may know some of the "finer points" on rules that have changed sixteen times since Tommy started playing, but Tommy doesn't make you want to kill children.

18. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    He's a color guy, not a play by play. So he's expected to give his opinion, not report the match. So what if he's wrong? It's his opinion. It's entertainment.

And tell me Harry Caray wasn't well liked by his audience.

19. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Well to be fair, the Salt guys have great material in Andy Williams. I mean this guy just doesnt care. Do you see the gut on this guy? And I love the way he strolls around the field-like he is in a baseball/cricket game. If it wasnt so sad it would be incredibly hilarious.

20. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Tommy Smyth to do my euology. It would be the funniest damn thing ever, and could lighten the mood.:)

21. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Unless you're some kind of celeb, he won't - I'm sure of it. Better just to live your life in such a way that your eulogy will be funny know matter who reads it. Set up your reader with anecdotes of eccentric and downright irresponsible behavior.

"Live each day so that your death will bring great joy to people" -- that's my motto.

It sounds like one sure way to do that would be to blow yourself up while standing next to Tommy Smyth. Worth considering...

22. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Isn't "the British color guy" Ray Hudson? Hudson was the only reason to watch RSL last season on DK.

23. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want Smyth to do NASCAR just once.
    "There goes Tony Stewart into the wall, well that is most unfortunate for him."

24. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    is this why he was benched? i dont think he cares whether he is benched or not. sanneh has been benched but still collects his 450k.

25. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Hudson is one of my favorite commentaters, he can make a bad game good and a good game great. And I guess a great game greater and a classic match.....well, as long as it's not the NE guys it does'nt matter.