Szetela out for 2 months

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Apr 17, 2006.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Confirmed per the weekly press release...

How many d-mids is that on the shelf now?

2. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Has the Crummy Croatian been cleared to play yet?

4. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Huge blow for us.

Is the the same bone that was already hurt or was another bone broken?

5. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** that sucks...the hit didn't look that bad, but you could tell from his reaction that it sure as hell hurt. He got studs right on his foot.

6. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah this sucks. Good thing Moss appears to have settled in a bit. I have not been overly impressed with Danny's play so far. Definitely better then last season but Saturdays weak passes that never had a prayer of making their target got old. Heres to a quick recovery.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap.

Bisaku had better get himself cleared to play soon. I like Moss as a defensive player, but we won't score many goals this season going through him.

Looks like Martino will be starting out in LA.

8. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I was watching this game agian yesterday and after the challenge, he was holding the opposite foot that the announcers said was previously injured, but maybe they just didn't know what they were talking about. It didn't really look like his foot got hit hard enough to break a bone that wasn't already injured.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely a blow, but it should give him enough time to heal up properly and be ready to go when we start making our July/August push up the table.

10. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i heard that he didn't want to play in this game because his foot was bothering him before the game.

11. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    hIves is going to report tomorrow that Szetela was forced to play against his will and should be traded to New York immediately for Jordan Cila. And that Danny is unhappy in Columbus.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a load of shit. If he didn't want to play, then he would have intentionally boned his fitness testing before team warm-ups so that the medical staff would have kept him out. Unless your name is Jeff Cunningham (ok, pointless and probably inaccurate dig), who prefers to sit on the bench with a minor injury than to tough it out, play through it, and cave in to your competitive nature?

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ugh. Just when he was starting to earn more time.

Ese up there chief, he hasn't even played yet. Besides, you can come up with a better moniker than that.

14. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No probable about that inaccuarate dig. Cunny always maintained throughout the whole "he's injuried crap" that he's better at 60% then most are at 100%...and he's probably right.

15. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone found out why exactly he was playing hurt in the first place? That sort of thing sounds oddly familiar . . . maybe it is no big deal, but has Sigi been asked that question?

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    It appears to have been his choice. He took a late fitness test and decided he could play. It wouldn't be the first time a player decided the game was more important than what he saw as a niggling injury.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I saw it as well. It was something that caused a little pain that could be played through. If he was hypersensitive about it, he could have sat out 3-4 weeks while it healed, just riding the stationary bike and lifting weights to attempt to maintain some fitness, but the sacrifice was probably viewed as being too large for the value of doing it. So the idea is that you play through it, it takes a little longer to heal, but you don't lose fitness, and you don't lose your starting roster spot.

Now his hand has just been forced to take some time off and let the thing heal, do his rehab, try to maintain some level of fitness so that when he's cleared to come back, he isn't miles behind the rest of the team.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  19. balatonsurfer

balatonsurfer BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 21, 2005
    Galbitown
    Ward can play there, no worries.

20. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the best option to me? Ward at D-mid anyone? By the way, why didn't Ward come in there on Saturday? I really hope that it isn't Kitamarike back there in d-mid with Moss. If that's the case where screwed unless Kitamarike pulls a miracle because he looked absolutely shaky early on in Saturday's game.

And, If Ward doesn't start somewhere on Saturday with Szetela out I think that's a sign and a bad move for Sigi. Was Ward even on the bench on Saturday though?

I'm glad that Pierce and Gonzalez solidified themselves back there on Saturday. I think as we go with games the defense will get better. I don't think our defense is as bad as some of us thought after I saw them first hand on Saturday. I just think they need time. I think Ward should be brought in at d-mid or possibly put him in Hejduk's spot and slot Hejduk up at D-mid. Cant Hejduk play some d-mid? I just want to give Ward some more time because isn't he the obvious replacement for Hejduk when Hejduk's at World Cup. I think so. I wouldn't be totally against Ward taking Hejduk's postition straight up although that's another story.

I would go with either:
    -----------Busch--------------
    Hejduk-Marshall-Gonzalez-Pierce
    ------Moss-------Ward--------
    Thomas---------------Gaven--
    ----------Rozental-------------
    ----------Kamara--------------

or:
    -----------Busch--------------
    Ward-Marshall-Gonzalez-Pierce-
    -------Hejduk--Moss----------
    Thomas---------------Gaven--
    ----------Rozental------------
    ----------Kamara-------------

Ward makes good runs from RB and Pierce did on Saturday from LB. Hejduk can maybe captain a little more from d-mid and be the talker that we need in that central d area. He can calm down Moss talk to Marshall and in some fashion get Gonzalez on the same page. I don't think Hejduk made a overlapping run all day on Saturday with Thomas. I know Ward will. Hejduk in the midfield can maybe calm things down where we sometimes look erratic. maybe? Possibly RB is just not the postition we should have Hejduk in. It seems that he is out of the game out there. Because alot of the times no one challenged him and nothing went his way. He just sat back their and therefore couldn't really get involved in the game. I think he could get more involved at right d-mid.

Kitamarike wasn't bad after he settled down. If you wanted to throw him in with Ward or Hejduk instead of Moss. I wouldn't be totally opposed. Although I rather give Moss another shot. Just Moss with Kitamarike would be a total waste.

or just scrap the whole two d-mids to give us maybe a chance to score something in LA. I wouldn't mind giving Garey another run out there on Gaven's side. I think they combined well on Saturday. And, if not I guess you give Martino try 1,000 and put him in Gaven's spot and then throw Gaven back up top with Martino.
    -----------Busch----------------
    Hejduk-Marshall-Gonzalez-Pierce
    -----------Ward---------------
    Thomas----------------Gaven
    ---------Rozental--------------
    Kamara--------------Garey-----

Or what the hell you can even keep Gaven where he is and try Martino up front with Kamara. who the hell knows? I think you got to switch around the offense until you find something that will net you at least a consistent ammount of goals every game. It's a crap shoot. So many possible things Sigi could do. Wouldn't want to be in his place, he has to be running a million different line ups through his head.

Hopefully Szetela comes back. I'm more confident with the rest of the team after Saturday then after the first two games. I don't think LA is anything great and they won't be as pumped against us as Chivas. But, i'm not totally confident in a win on the west coast either. God, how we could use one though. It would be horrible to be out of the whole race this early. KC and DC are really starting to run away.

21. JArthur

JArthur New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Watching the replays, I was convinced that Danny hurt himself making the cut, not as a result of the tackle. For one, he grimaces in pain almost a second before the Chicago player makes contact, and two, the contact was very light, though I'm sure it didn't help matters. Did anyone else notice this?

22. soccerwookie

soccerwookie New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Maybe he thought no one fully healthy was a better option than Danny injured? :-O

23. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    I'd play Kitamrike and Martino front and back, and predict this is what Schmid will do.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yes, and it was stated the the injury is one Danny could have played with and not had any issues. They said it is one of those things that you can rest and it can get better or not, and you can play with and it can get better or not - unfortunately in this case it didn't work out for the best.

25. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I'm digging this whole Kitamarike thing over Moss.

If Martino doesn't do anything first half I would put Gaven back in his place and put Garey at forward. Btw, Could this Martino guy just you know do something so we can believe in him again? please. This guy is due, he has been due for about a year and in baseball that takes you back to the minor leagues. If he doesn't do anything by August we should just trade him. Someone with his talent shouldn't be satisfied with coming on in the 70th minute.