Dynamo in the community & public appearances - 9/21 at Memorial City Mall

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Apr 12, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just fyi about Dynamo getting players out into the community - from a press release:

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Dynamo players in the community

Picture this: A colorfull state of the art colorfull bus with the Dinamos logos visiting mall, Visiting High School in the area...am I dreaming...?

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SokkerNut

SokkerNut Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What an awesome thing to do. With so much negative press going on with other sports professionals, it's refreshing to see and read something like this. Way to go guys!!!

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

More fyi:

WHAT: Houston Dynamo to participate in Relay for Life.

WHERE: Stallworth Stadium, in Baytown (2208 East Archer Rd., Baytown, TX 77521)

WHEN: Friday, April 21 at 5:00 p.m., through 10:00 a.m. Saturday, April 22.

WHO: Houston Dynamo midfielders Aaron Lanes, Stuart Holden, Mike Chabala, and Brad Davis.

HOUSTON, TX- (Wednesday, April 19, 2006)–Houston Dynamo will take part in this year’s Relay for Life, with four players participating in the event, which starts this Friday, April 21, at 5:00 p.m., and runs through 10:00 a.m. Saturday, April 22, at Stallworth Stadium, in Baytown.

Relay for Life is a community gathering, where everyone can participate in the fight against cancer. Midfielders Aaron Lanes, Stuart Holden, Mike Chabala, and Brad Davis will be there signing autographs and promoting the Dynamo, in an effort to raise funds to fight this deadly disease.

6. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Duuude I went to Baytown Sterling. Attended many a game at Stallworth.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I think you're going to find that your Dynamo players, former San Jose Earthquakes, are among the most approachable, down-to-earth, community-minded folks in all sports. Consider them a civic treasure, and not just for what they do on the field.

8. TBone27

TBone27 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    NJ by way of Houston

Good to hear...it's important that they get out there and attract more potential MLS converts like myself. :)

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
  10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just an update on Lanes:

Aaron Lanes, who last week suffered a right fifth metatarsal fracture, underwent successful surgery on Monday, April 24, at the Methodist Hospital. The procedure lasted about a half an hour and it was performed by Houston Orthopedic Surgeon Kevin Varner. Lanes is expected to be out for the next few weeks.

And another Dom and player appearance for 4/25:

Houston Dynamo head coach, Dominic Kinnear, will be speaking at the Elkins High School soccer banquet at Regal Ranch on Tuesday, April 25. Houston Dynamo midfielder Marcus Storey graduated from Elkins, and also played on its soccer team.

11. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

... and one of FuBoy's funniest memories from ref'ing was of Marcus doing a quadruple stepover on a perfect boot over the shoulder from the keeper to just breakdown a defender into a puddle of playdoh. Not many times you'll see a ref unable to stop laughing so hard. I wanted to run over and pickup an imaginary item from the ground and let him know "I think you dropped this..." just so he could say "what?"

It's too easy...

12. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Here is a quick article in the Santa Cruz paper about Aaron which mentions the surgery:

Good news, bad news for Lanes

In addition to playing for the Division III U.C.-Santa Cruz Slugs, he also played summer ball for the NPSL's Salinas Valley Samba.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the info on a community appearance by Luck and Onstad - 5/10 noon:

Houston Dynamo President to be Guest Speaker at North Channel Coalition Luncheon

Event to benefit victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault

HOUSTON, TX – (Monday, May 8, 2006) – Houston Dynamo President, Oliver Luck, will be the guest speaker at a luncheon sponsored by the North Channel Coalition, it was announced today.

The proceeds of this event, which will be held on Wednesday, May 10, at noon, at San Jacinto College North, will benefit the victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, and their children.

Tickets to the event are $50 each, and a table of 10 will run for $1,000. This will include 10 meal tickets, table recognition, and gifts. A drawing for Houston Dynamo tickets will also be held. Those who want to participate, however, must be present to win. In addition, Houston Dynamo Goalkeeper, Pat Onstad, will be present and available for autographs.

WHO: Houston Dynamo President Oliver Luck, and Goalkeeper Pat Onstad.

WHAT: Luncheon benefiting victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, and their children.

WHERE: San Jacinto College North, Monument Room, 5800 Uvalde Rd., Houston, TX 77049

WHEN: Wednesday, May 10. Registration is at 11: 30 A.M.; Luncheon is at 12:00 P.M.

For reservations, contact Julie Fallin, at 281-221-1616.

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One more announcement -- Ianni in Humble:

On Tuesday, May 9th, Dynamo Midfielder Patrick Ianni will be at Woodlands Hills Elementary (2222 Tree Lane, Humble, TX 77339), from 2:30 to 3:00 p.m., giving a pep-talk to about 100 5th graders, who play soccer and desire to know more about what it takes to become an MLS player.

15. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that would be the Banana Slugs, to be completely accurate, the greatest nickname ever (said the loyal Bruin and ehh Bear)...

16. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I sooo wanted a decent Banana Slugs shirt when I went through there last summer. Couldn't find one anywhere. :mad:

17. JumpforDynamo

JumpforDynamo New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    DeRo at Rivergrove Park 06/04 at 3pm

Just to let y'all know that Dwayne DeRosario will be coming to Rivergrove Park this Sunday to sign autophraphs - this, according to Kingwood Alliance. I'm not sure whether I will be able to go, but I thought someone would perhaps be interested. The fields are off Kingwood Dr. on I-45 north Houston.

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYI:

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another press release re Dynamo players in the community -- this Thurs:

20. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006

I realize it's too late to inform you, but Kelly Gray and Patrick Ianni came out to SoccerTime store one weekend, and we had a great time. They sat around and watched the World Cup, signed autographs, and just acted like classy guys. They're doing great things in the community.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not particular players, but definitely more positive Dynamo involvement with the community:

Louisiana Weekly: Helping Unisured Children

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking last night, when I saw one of those HEB ads with Pettit, Clemens and Carr, Dynamo players need to be in tv ads. That would be great for exposure. Everybody knows Ching and the ladies all seem to like him. Girls also like Holden, and everybody likes DeRo, he's cool. It would be nice to see them doing ads for, I don't know, WhatABurger or something. Maybe Gallery Furniture. Laurence Marshall. Something. :)

23. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As long as they don't stoop to doing Hilton Furniture (That's a fact jack! OOOHHoooowwwww!) ads or that guy selling scrap metal with the Comets' mascot.

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's interesting to see that HEB really stands for "precios bajos": :D

[​IMG]

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo wants your help with Special Olympics program

The Dynamo is trying to organize support for Special Olympics athletes in Texas - here's the info: