Pre-Game Thread: 4/15 Dynamo at DC United [R for 4/8 games]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, Apr 11, 2006.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo travels to DC United this Saturday. The game will be on HDNet at 6:30 CT. It'll also be on locally on Concierto 850 AM and 101.7 FM. We'll have an in-game, play-by-play thread on Saturday. Info on game-watching parties will probably be posted later. The official Dynamo site should have a preview page with a link to a game-day guide in PDF format on or about Friday.

Here's the MLSnet.com report on DCU's last game against Chivas USA:

Recap: DC United v Chivas USA

Here's the Washington Post's game report:

Washington Post 4/9

Last year, DCU beat SJ 3-0 at DC in July. The teams also tied 0-0 at SJ in June. Make of that what you will.

DeRosario is out, but Davis and Robinson should be available again.

What's your prediction for the game? Score?

I think it'll be tight - I'll predict 1-1.

2. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bugger I was thinking about the RSL game when I voted. 2-1 Houston but it is going to be a tough game without DeRo.

3. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I think if Houston scores first they will have a good chances of winning the game we will see what happens on saturday.

4. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    DCU had San Jose's number last year, for whatever reason. Without DeRosario, it will be interesting to see where the offensive engine comes from. If the Houston defense had been shutting teams down, I'd be more comfortable predicting a narrow Houston win. But, they have not been doing so, and DCU has a pretty strong offense that can come at you many different ways. I expect Houston to keep it close, but expect DCU to win.

The chance for Houston to win would be if Davis is back and is able to help generate some offense with Ching, like the two of them did early in the year last year. And if Robinson is back on defense, maybe that will help to solidify the defense and shut DCU down. I don't think that's what will happen, but it could.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking points out of RFK is always a tough chore.

With De Ro out, we are missing our conductor for the train.

I'm thinking 1-1 if our back 4 hold. Jaime Moreno has never given me a reason to dislike him as long as I have followed MLS. I hope he doesn't turn up money against us...I've enjoyed his play over the years and don't want that to get up an walk away with us dropping more points.

VIVA HOUSTON!!! VIVA TEJAS!!!

6. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    As I recall last year in DC, they packed the midfield with five midfielders and basically dared us to play over the top. We had a few great chances early, but just missed, and when they scored, we deflated in the heat and humidity of DC.

I suspect DC will play employ the same tactics this year.

7. cowboypb

cowboypb Member

Dec 15, 2005
    The Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well, hopefully there is no "heat and humidity" right now. So that should not be a factor. I Tivo'd the first game against Colorado and watched some of it - my wife and I both broke out laughing when one of the announcers said Ching had adapted to the heat and humidity of Houston very well - LOL Yeah - uhhh we haven't even started getting warm yet . . . Anyway, I hope Davis is ready to come back and play some substantial minutes for this game.

8. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday wather shouldn't really be a factor.
    The game should be a good one.

DC Weather for Sat. 4/15

Day
    [​IMG]
    Isolated T-Storms
    High
    78°F

Precip
    30%
    Wind:WSW 12 mph
    Max. Humidity:49%
    UV Index:7 High

Night
    [​IMG]
    Mostly Clear
    Overnight Low
    56°F

Precip
    20%
    Wind:WNW 9 mph
    Max. Humidity:51%
    Sunset:7:45 PM ET

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Rimando indeed still out, as indicated below?

I think this is the current update on injuries from MLSnet.com:

D.C. UNITED

OUT: DF Bryan Namoff (L groin strain); GK Nick Rimando (L mid-foot sprain); DOUBTFUL: DF David Stokes (R quadriceps strain); FW Santino Quaranta (R hamstring strain)

HOUSTON DYNAMO

OUT: FW Julian Nash (L hamstring strain); DF Chris Aloisi (R foot fracture)

And for discipline:

Dwayne De Rosario
    Houston Dynamo
    Suspension/Fine: 4/15/06 vs. D.C. United/$250
    Reason: Red Card: 4/8/06 vs. Kansas City Wizards

None for DC

10. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your post was the first I knew that they had updated the injury report, thanks.

The word on the DC boards (from the Steven Goff chat at washingtonpost.com
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/04/07/DI2006040701312.html) is that Rimando is out.

Here's the quote.
    For those of you unfamiliar with his work. He's in the pantheon of American soccer writers.

11. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I cant wait until United comes to Houston in the summer and its 96 degrees and humid they will love it!!!!

12. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not going to Houston until September 30th, I dont know Houston weather but I know it will be a lot better than having to play there in July or August.

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    While Houston is notorius for there oppressive humidity, we here in the DC/Baltimore area know all too well how uncomfortable it can be during the summer.

I dare say our July thru early September isn't all that dissimilar to yours.

14. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    July and August weather in Houston and the DC area are actually quite comparable in terms of heat and humidity. In Houston, however, the weather in late September is very likely to be identical to that of July and August (every now and then a Canadian Norther comes down out of the Great Plains in September or October and sends the nightime temps down into the 60s or maybe even 50s - but this lasts for like 1 day and then we're back into the 90s)... whereas in your neck of the woods, you actually have 4 seasons. Here, summer starts in late April and lasts for about half the year. Then our three months of fall starts sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving and lasts until late Janurary. Sometimes we get about 72 hours of winter around Groundhog Day, and every now and then winter shows up for a few days just in time to ruin Spring Break in early March. Of course, spring starts sometime in late February, and then it comes back AFTER Spring Break and lasts for about a month. And then, sometime over the next two weeks (late April)... summer will be back for another six months.

15. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    Oh Boy! Hurricane season.

BTW - The game in Houston is scheduled for 8:30pm. Humid? yes, but killer? no.

16. c4smok

c4smok New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am back =)

I said I would not come back but I love Houston Sports =X

It will be hard since the Astros are going on at the same time but I will support the team again =)

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I knew you were full of crap when you said you were going to boycott.

No real soccer fan can suppress the longing for watching professional soccer in his/her hometown.

Anyway, welcome back.

18. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know Rimando is still out. I'm guessing DC will come out with a slightly different line-up than they did vs. Chivas. I didn't see the game, but I heard the game was a few lucky bounces (or maybe even good calls) away from being a tie. There is getting to be a lot of pressure on Peter Nowak to start Freddie Adu, especially because he's been involved on many of the goals. The problem is the same as last year though (how to get Freddie and C. Gomez on the field together). I think we might see Adu start in place of Filomeno, possibly giving him another shot at outside mid or forward.

Without DeRo, I think we'll field a 4-3-3 (which could easily shift to a 4-4-2).

-------------Onstad-------------
    --------Robinson--Serioux--------
    --Gray-------------------Barrett-
    --------------Clark--------------
    --Mullan------------------Davis--
    -------------Cerritos-------------
    ----Ching--------------Moreno---

Cerritos is more than capable of playing an attacking mid/target man role.
    Clark will be in charge of shutting down Gomez or Adu.
    Davis and Mullan will hopefully give Ching some good service, and Moreno will hopefully pick up some trash in front of the net.
    Barrett and Gray will both play wingback roles, but neither will be able to go up as much as they have in previous matches. DC will be tough to shut down.

I think our main chance in this game is to outscore DC. I'll be surprised if this match is defensive. Let's take advantage of Perkins' inexperience.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC : Houston - OKULAJA/Ganser/Ellis/Canales

And you folks thought you had referring related issues in the first two games :eek:

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that adds a nice random element to the game.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that line up, but I wouldn't mind a little more defensive starting line up at DCU. We could then bring Cerritos (or Moreno) in as a sub, if needed:

--------Robinson--Serioux--------
    --Gray--------------Goldthwaite--
    -----------Clark---Barrett--------
    ---------Ching-----Moreno-------

Or maybe:

-------Cochrane---Robinson------
    --Gray------------------Barrett--
    ----------Clark---Serioux---------
    ---------Ching-----Moreno-------

In both those line ups, the service for the forwards has to come from the wings, but I think Mullan and Davis can keep it flowing. The option with Serioux in a defensive mid role would also allow him to venture forward from time to time and still have cover from Clark.

22. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Substitute Waibel for Robinson and I think you have it.

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In which line up? Do you think that Waibel's a better option generally, or just that Robinson still probably be won't be fully match fit just yet?

Would Waibel in place of Gray at RB be too defensive?

24. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I think with Serioux playing along with Clark in center mid field, and Davis and Mullan on the wings, Gray and Barrett as the outside backs, that Waibel and Cochran will get the nod in central defense.

Waibel looked good at the tournament in Charleston and with the tough result last week, may get the nod. Ching and Moreno should start up top.

Barrett and Gray give an attacking option; generally, when one overlaps on attack, the other stays back.

This is a great line up and could handle the tough away assignment.

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States