ROB for Guevara

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Matrim55, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matchnight is reporting that O'Brien will be heading to CFKA Metro for Guevara.

I know Ronnie's supposedly had some personality issues with coaches/teammates/what have you, but this is a terrible trade for you guys if it happens. Terrible.

2. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Is that why he is not in the line-up tonight? That would suck beyond all belief.

3. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Guevara play for NYRB?

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He strolled around the field for 90 minutes. I can't say he actually played.

5. bobotheclown

bobotheclown New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    the vast wasteland
  6. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Texas
    If the trade rumor is true, this excuse if legit. The coaching staff would know he was going away and would not play him so he does not injure himself. That is a good personal reason to me.

In other news, tell why this trade sucks....

7. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Texas
    Ya, they said he was in street clothes. I assumed injury. "Personal reasons" and still being at the game lends creedence to the trade rumor to me.

9. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. ROB is definitely special. But Guevara is pretty incredible too! Plus Guevara gives us that lethal/stellar a-mid that we could've used tonight, while CC seems to have ideas about what to do with the wingers...

If true, I think this trade could make us an offensive juggernaut.....with a "just okay" defense.

10. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks. Isn't this the guy we were rumored to trade EJ for? Didn't most everyone like the trade?

Is Guevarra center or winger? If CC wants Nunez outside and Guerra is a center, wouldn't that work out perfectly? I must admit that although I am a huge soccer fan, I don't know much about players outside of FCD.

11. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If this is the case, why was Guevarra playing for NY?

And more importantly, if he comes here will his play be as poor as it was today for NY?

12. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know about his play today. But I believe he's wanted out of NY for awhile. Never seemed to get along with Lalas -- that's for certain.

I'll tell you this, though: this deal would (imho) raise the talent level of the squad, while simultaneously raising its drama (queen) quotient. :D

Things would not be dull.

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't, trust me. For all the dribbling wizardry and nice free-kicks, he'll kill every counterattacking opportunity you ever have; he'll commit at least 5 dangerous turnovers a game; he'll embarrass you with his dissent and diving (though, admittedly, he's gotten better on the second count); and he just won't ever make a goddamn run off the ball. He's skilled, wildly so, but he has no leadership quality or game-sense. And he absolutely disappears down the stretch and in the playoffs.

He's Stephon Marbury in cleats. There's a reason none of his teams anywhere have ever won anything. (If you're wondering how Honduras hasn't qualified for the World Cup despite having the third most talented team in the region, look no further than #20).

Enjoy!

14. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROB has a motor and Guevara does not.

Could this be for ROB to gain more exposure in NYC to hop the pond or play for Ireland?

15. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps a change of scenery.....

16. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So will this be our new midfield?

Simo​

Nunez​
    Alvarez​

Guevara​

And considered the problems with ROB playing in the middle instead of the right midfield, I think we'll trade one problem with another. Guevara could boost our attack down the middle and would help Ruiz alot so that he doesn't have to track back to the midfield. But will our right side be effective with Nunez? And will Nunez will be able to cross effectively instead of trying to become a cute dribbling wizard ala Cristano Ronaldo?

Then there's another issue: will Guevara be able to have a good & solid team chemistry with coach and teammates?

17. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I agree, I don't think playing on fieldturf helps either.

18. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team he's ever played on has underachieved. Every one. He'll give you some spectacular plays, and a number of your less-sophistocated supporters will love him, but your season will be over in the first round of playoffs or earlier as long as he's there.

Again, this wasn't just a Metro thing - this is what happens to every one of Marbury - err, Guevara's - teams.

19. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, there. We're FC Dallas. Nice to meet you.

Honestly, this sounds a lot like the T.O. deal with the Cowboys. Sure, you don't know what the future holds (as in, past 1 year); but for this season at least, you get an impressive talent who will probably suck up some ego to prove that he's a "team player" and will help make the new squad successful simply to spite all the neysayers.

I'm in for one year. After that, all bets are off.

And (again, if true) it may be that Colin Clarke and the management see this as an opportunity to win now.

20. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Motagua were champions of Honduras 4 times and runner-ups once in the 8 seasons that Guevara was with them. In his one season with Olimpia, they were champions.

21. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well I guess it's not like O'brien's form has been that great at the end of last season or the beginning of this season. Still I imagine he'll do just fine at NY if he goes there. I have to admit being a little concerned about Guevarra after seeing him play today, but we're desperate in the middle of the field. We do nothing but bypass the midfield, so I guess we have to take a chance. A Guevarra/Mulrooney central midfield has the potential to be a monster.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Ruiz was talking last season about the lack of respect for Hispanic players in the league, I got the feeling that he and Guevara were friends, or at least talked from time to time. If that's so, maybe they could combine well?

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Matrim has an agenda, he's a Mutt fan and he wants to believe that this trade will be the answer to all their prayers. Problem is, they couldn't win before Amado, they ain't going to win after. Guevara and Ruiz are very close, and have wanted to play together for a while. I'm definetly withholding judgement on this trade until I see Guevara put forth the effort. I'll miss ROB in a big way, he was my favorite Hoop since I've been following the team. But I'm excited to see what this team can do with a real #10.

24. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly....when was the last time (if ever) Dallas had the illusive "real #10?"

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper filled in for O'Brien tonight at right mid and had a solid game.

I suspect the spot is Kenny's to lose.