Germany's biggest rivalry?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by poorvi, Apr 4, 2006.

1. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I want to know whom the Germans and German fans consider as their biggest rivals on the football field.

I know that the Dutch and the English consider the DFB elf as their biggest rivals. But when it comes to achievements and winning competitions, these two teams are not even closely competitive.
    Maybe Brazil or Italy?

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I'll always have it out for Brazil...no matter what.

England and Holland have to be the biggest rivals though to the majority of fans.

I really have nothing against Italy.

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know what you are saying. The rivalry with England and Holland is a historic more than a football rivalry. And from what I see, it is much more important for them than the Germany fans.

So, I think a rivalry must be more on sporting terms than on historic ones. A healthy rivalry would be Italy or Brazil, maybe Argentina as these teams are the sucessful ones. Brazil it must be, but Germany has played Brazil just once in a world cup. That can hardly constitute a rivalry. Maybe Argentina whom they have played twice in the finals.

What I do not understand is how people (read Dutch Master) can take up events that happened 60 years ago,relate it to football and hate a national team over it. Especially when majority of the fans are born decades after the troubled years.
    From what I understand the Dutch were under German occupation for 4 years. India was ruled by the British for over 200 years, and India had many more casualties during her occupation than the Dutch had under German occupation. We were both( India and Holland) freed around the same time. But today when India plays England in a cricket game, there is no animosity between the two sets of fans. The English fans are quite welcome here, and there is almost no crowd trouble with them. When Germany plays Russia, with whom it has a more prolonged struggle in the war years, also we see no hate.
    This Germany Holland rivalry is a really overdone.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Half the German population will run around with a Brazil shirt during the WCs.

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats what happens when you wear white vests as a national jersey :D

6. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Here is Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger's take on it

And he goes on to write about how Germans admire English Soccer culture, which I notice a lot as well: the fan culture, the hard play, the lack of diving etc.

then he moves to the Dutch

7. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
  8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The usual suspects; Holland, Argentina, and Italy of which I really only dislike Argentina. And the Dutch rooting their hate for the football teams out of Germany and the National Team itself on the war 60+ years ago is just silly.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nicht weit von uns im Westen,
    Da liegt eine kleines Land,
    Dass ich immer wenn ich da war,
    Ziemlich ueberzeugend fand.

Ein Land mit alten Windmühlen
    Und mit netten kleinen Städten,
    Mit Bami, Vla, Frikandeln
    Und frittierten Fleischkroketten.

In Edam gibt's den Käse
    Und in Amsterdam die Grachten,
    Ich stehe auf Frauen in Holzschuhen
    Und in blau-weiss-roten Trachten,

Ich komme gern zum Baden
    Und ich bleib auch gern zum Zelten,
    Ja, sie sind tolle Nachbarn
    Und doch trennen uns Welten.

Ich liebe Superskunk,
    Und ich liebe Sauce special
    Aber eine Sache gibt's
    Da bin ich meganational,

Es kam ueber die Jahre
    und jetzt sitzt es ziemlich fest
    So lang's um Fussball geht
    Hasse ich Holland wie die Pest.

Grad bei wichtigen Turnieren
    Darf man sich nicht dafuer genieren,
    Was kann schlimmeres passieren
    Als dass wir gegen sie verlieren.

Beide haben wir unsern Rudi
    Wir haben ihren nie bespuckt
    Ein guter Deutscher denkt europäisch
    Ausser wenn Kicken guckt.

Ich weiss, du bist ein Schlauer,
    Du bist nicht so ein Prolet,
    Immer locker, selbst wenn's eins-null
    für die Niederlande steht.

Wird ich eifrig wegen
    Fussball ist ein Jammer, Idiot
    Fick dich selbst. Wenn ich Oranje sehe,
    seh ich nun mal rot.

10. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
  11. snoooop

snoooop Red Card

Jul 16, 2005
    dont forget the rivalry with AUSTRIA :D :D

okok it is more Bavaria(the state Bayern) and Austria but there is a big rivalry.

its a little bit the same with USA and Canada you know? tha small country(Cananda/Austria) provocates the whole time and the big countries (USA/Germany) laugh about them ;)

the Germany - Holland thing is not anymore so hard and big like it was, i think thats good, now it is more the normal rivalry between two neighbour-countries.

12. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I see why you would believe this, but that's not really true anymore - see for example the song Hannovergirl posted. The Holland - Germany rivalry is mostly a football rivalry now. When you look at speedskating for example (the number 2 sport in NL), the Dutch and German fans often celebrate together. The games in 1974, 1988 and 1990 are what the rivalry is based on. At least that's my Dutch father and brother-in-law's point of view, and what many of my Dutch friends feel. In fact, from a Dutch pov the rivalry is getting less important as Germany are not so good anymore. It's still a great rivalry, and football would be much less fun without it.

I would put Argentina into 2nd spot, based on the finals in 1986 and 1990. The rest are pretty meaningless.

13. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    [​IMG]

We will never forget 1966.....How long have I been waiting for revenge...;)

14. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Holland, Holland, followed by Holland.

I don't think the Germans really care one way or another about England. As ohk says, most Germans like, or at least respect, English soccer, and I actually think most Germans have a lot of respect for England in general. That rivalry is mostly one way. You'll see Germans wearing England shirts, and half of Germany will wear Brazil (as Fräulein96 says) and Italy shirts. You will never see an Englishman wear a Germany shirt.

As for Argentina, England has a much larger rivalry with them than Germany does.

15. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    We know you just love us... :D

16. Dutch_Master

Dutch_Master New Member

May 10, 2005
    Holland
    What on earth makes you think that :confused: You jump to conclusions way to soon buddy :mad: I like to poke fun at the Germans but the reason behind that aren't the events that happened 60 years ago, geezzzz....

17. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes Revange on England because of 1966:)...This I would like..

our biggest rival is of course Holland...then England I would say..

18. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I know one Scotsman who will be come June 9th...........me :D

19. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Hah! you've been lying about your age all along, grandma bltleo!

20. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I live in Manchester it is England for me, no doubt.
    For the majority of the Germans it is Holland followed by England.
    Holland because of Koeman, Rijkaard and all this.
    England because of the 1966 cheat and the obsession the English have with Germany. Who ever says that it is not important to win against England is a liar or not a real football fan (because for every national team in the world it is important to win against England, because it is ENGLAND!)

In third place it has to be Argentina for me. I grew up with important games against the Argies. Never particularly liked them.

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Are you seriously saying that you are still upset about 1966? That's just silly. My memories are 1990 and 1996, and that's not a very good basis for a rivalry.

I also live in England and of course I want to beat them, but the rivalry is nowhere near the one with Holland. I actually support England sometimes when they play well. Pity that hardly ever happens. :D

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    haha, I could not stop laugh...very hillarious and funny!:).

well 1966.. ..I think every German who is interested in soccer, knows World cup Finale 1966...I have DVD´s ..so I had good luck to see that game on video...don´t you say you don´t know anything about 1966?..it was few times on T.V as reportage as well.....I also know about world cup 1954, saw movie about it....ach, you did not live in 1954..so you probably don´t know about it.....the same about 1966..

or do you know anything about Finale World cup soccer 1966?
    it is really not difficult to learn about history of german soccer...you don´t need to live in 1966 to know about finale 1966:)... .you are really funny..
    grandpa arthur:)

23. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    My point exactly. ARD seems to show most every England game that is played not at the same time as a Germany game, and most Germans I meet support England in those games. I don't think the same can be said of the Netherlands.

A rivalry is not simply wanting to see your team beat the other team. A rivalry is wanting the other team to lose every time it plays.

Even with regards to the 1966 final, 3 Sat. replayed it a few weeks ago and the hosts were gushing about the English team spirit, etc.

24. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I am not really upset about 66. I only think it is part of the rivalry and it was no goal ;) .
    Also the constant "we won 5:1 in Munich" remarks are quite annoying.
    For almost everybody I know it is very important to beat England.
    If you live in England you must admit the the English are obsessed with everything that has to do with Germany (only the French beat us in that which is really funny).

I think we are the biggest rivals for England and they hate that we consider Holland as our biggest rival (or do they even know?).

Arthur, imagine what would happen to us if England would win it in Germany this year? God help us!

25. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Yeah I've watched a couple of repeats as well. Wasn't in the set of DVDs I got from Gregoriak though, the only games in 1966 I got from him were the ones against Uruguay, Switzerland and Spain. Anyway I don't feel the guys were cheated out of a victory back then, it was 4-2 after all. And the matches in 1990 and 1996 should have evened that out anyway.