Official 2006 AFC Champions League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by EstebanGranero23, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The J-League is the best league in Asia IMO. How come they havent been able to pull it off continentally???

2. gtepp15 redded

gtepp15 redded Red Card

Jan 5, 2006
    Re: J-League Clubs in the ACL

Tokyo Verdy's 2006 schedule

4/3 - J.league division 2
    8/3 - Asia CL
    11/3 - J.league division 2
    18/3 - J.league division 2
    21/3 - J.league division 2
    22/3 - Asia CL
    25/3 - J.league division 2
    1/4 - J.league division 2
    5/4 - J.league division 2
    8/4 - J.league division 2
    12/4 - Asia CL
    15/4 - J.league division 2
    18/4 - J.league division 2
    22/4 - J.league division 2
    26/4 - Asia CL
    29/4 - J.league division 2
    3/5 - Asia CL
    3/5 - J.league division 2
    6/5 - J.league division 2
    14/5 - J.league division 2
    17/5 - J.league division 2
    17/5 - Asia CL
    20/5 - J.league division 2

3. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-

because in recent history J League clubs have shuned the ACL for whatever reasons, it is never in the top 2 priorities.
    But it will be different with Gamba this season, they will take Asia by storm :D

4. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-

Group E:
    Gamba Osaka
    Chonbuk Motors (Korea)
    Da Nang (Vietnam)
    Dalian Shide (China)

Group F:
    Tokyo Verdy
    Ulsan Horang-i (Korea)
    Arema Malang (Indonesia)
    Tobacco Monopoly (Thailand)

March 8
    Chonbuk Motors v Gamba Osaka
    Tokyo Verdy v Ulsan Horang-i
    March 22
    Gamba Osaka v Da Nang
    Tobacco Monopoly v Tokyo Verdy
    April 12
    Gamba Osaka v Dalian Shide
    Arema Malang v Tokyo Verdy
    April 26
    Dalian Shide v Gamba Osaka
    Tokyo Verdy v Arema Malang
    May 3
    Gamba Osaka v Chonbuk Motors
    Ulsan Horang-i v Tokyo Verdy
    May 17
    Da Nang v Gamba Osaka
    Tokyo Verdy v Tobacco Monopoly

I also forgot to mention that theres even less incentive for J League teams to win the ACL this year because no matter what a J1 team will be in the World Club Championship

5. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan

Because real champions can't play immediately:mad:

J.League give the rights to play ACL to J.League champion and Emperor's Cup champion.
    The former is OK, but the latter is terrible.
    The champ of two seasons ago, not one play ACL every year.
    2005's Emperor's Cup champion Urawa Reds won't play this season's ACL.:(
    Division 2 club Tokyo Verdy, who won 2004's Emperor's Cup will play.
    Tokyo Verdy didn't play 2005 ACL.
    Jubilo Iwata, who won 2004 Emperor's Cup played.

6. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Verdy and Gamba....the ACL thread

4 teams have been purged from the ACL.....including 2 in Verdy's group F (Arema Malang and Tobacco Monopoly)

So it looks like Verdy will be playing a home and home with Korean power Ulsan Horang-I (March 8th and May 3rd):rolleyes:

Gamba is still in a hellish group. :mad:

7. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-
    Re: Verdy and Gamba....the ACL thread

Our group is easy :p

8. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Verdy and Gamba....the ACL thread

Gamba better crush everyone in their group. They'll be the team I cheer for in ACL.

9. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Two same threads, should combine them

10. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Wow! That was fast.... thanks MOD ;)

Anyway, here's the articles about the DQ:
    http://www.jsgoal.jp/news/00029000/00029813.html [Japanese]
    J.LEAGUE Fan Site

Indonesian and Thai teams thrown out of ACL [English]
    FootballAsia.com

I must say, it turned out good for Verdy (I mean now they have to play only 48 + 2 games), but shows how the AFC is made out of bunch of fools. I swear, if the J.LEAGUE officials ran this competition, ACL will run so much smoothly.

11. OPSK

OPSK Member

Jan 30, 2006

AFC should have been replacing the empty spots with more runner ups from big leagues....

I kind of smell AFC being mean to ASEAN region again.....

at same time i think it was good for Thai and Indonesian club because they'll most likely to lose more money than gain...

good luck at CL... my club is not in this year but should be interesting watching k-league side against C-league and J-league... hope SUwon Bluewing gets in next time =/

12. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

Its really a shame Urawa is not in it. They seem to be a really strong team but thanks to JFA's stupid rule a J2 team will be in thier place :mad:

13. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is that rule???

14. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the rule is that the emperors cup winner from the year before represents Japan in the ACL.........Jubilo was the 2003 (january 2004)Emperors Cup champ but played in the ACL last year. Tokyo Verdy won the 2004 (January 2005) champs and play this year even though they are J2. Urawa won the 2005 championship on New Years day and will play in the 2007 ACL

It's a stupid rule but I think people are slagging on Verdy unfairly because the JFA is stupid......I also don't think people would be so voiciferous if it was Shimizu S-Pulse wearing the crown. It's too bad the ACL starts right away instead of later.........they could change the Xerox cup so that Nabisco Cup/Emperors Cup winners play eachother for the right to go to ACL......it would give the game more meaning. Does anyone seriously think Verdy was the best team in 2004 because they beat Yokohama FM in the Xerox cup?

Whatever......i'm just glad the season is starting again!

15. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Guys... don't get this wrong...

It's not JFA's stupid rule.... It's AFC's stupid rule. I remember, JFA wanted 2004 Emeror's Cup Champ to represent ACL rather than previous years' champ Jublio, but I think AFC rejected it because the final game is on January 1st, 2005.

The Rule on AFC says that it must previous years' champ, so Jublio Iwata who won the 2003 Emeror's Cup season on Jan 1st, 2004 had to represent Japan in 2005 ACL season.

16. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

If that was the case, couldn't they allow the runner up in the league to go instead of the cup winner? or the Nabisco cup winner? When you are using a tournament that includes high school teams to begin with, you are asking for trouble. We have already seen Kyoto and Tokyo win it and then promptly get relegated to J2, so it obviously is not a good way of picking a team to compete in ACL. When you consider that Urawa not only won the latest Emperor's cup but also finished runner up in the league, it is completely ridiculous that they aren't representing the J-league at ACL.

17. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    asking for your opinion

Is it just me, or is it completely insane that Japan sends a J2 team to the ACL.

Whom do I contact to change this!? It's HORRIBLE.

Japan should send it's top 2 teams to the ACL and than the next two teams to the AFC Cup. It'd benefit the league.

18. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: asking for your opinion

My opinion is that this should be moved to the ACL thread

19. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11

...ahh, we have an ACL thread.

-_-;; sorry.

20. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire

Merged.

21. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well yea... that's the part that J.LEAUGE/JFA is doing wrong... I thought that when Verdy is going to be relagated, JFA will look at the current ACL policies. Actually, they were about to change the rules so that the league cham and the runner-up can go for ACL (however, I do not know if they wanted this temporary or permanently).

But I VERDY urged and said that the leauge does not have the right to take way their qualification, and the leauge agreed.

22. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No problem:) ......i think your preaching to the choir on the Verdy/ACL question. I haven't seen one person that likes this.

23. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Not true.

The AFC does enough stupid things to be blamed for. No need to start blaming them for things that arent their fault.

When they were arranging the first ACL schedule, the AFC asked the JFA and J.League to decide how to allocate the spots. It was the J.League which proposed (indeed, INSISTED) that Jubilo be allowed to represent Japan in the first ever ACL, even though they had not won a championship in over a year. This was a decision made in a smoky back room by bureaucrats, influenced by a lot of Jubilo OBs, and not the result of any logical discussion.

Indeed, I wrote a very scathing article at the time in which I predicted that the J.League would live to regret their stupid decision. But I sure didnt expect it to bite them in the butt this soon, and this dramatically.
    (if someone wants to search through my old reports from late 2003 and early 2004 Id love to know where that article is. I know its there somewhere . . . probably between October 2003 and February 2004, but havent had the time to find it).

Anyway, the point is, dont blame the AFC for THIS catastrophe. Its the J.League who shot themselves in the foot this time, and nobody else is to blame.

24. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Exactly.

It wasnt just "urged", either. Verdy stands to make a lot of money if they do manage to progress in the ACL, and if the J.League had taken away their right to take part, Verdy could have sued for damages and won (easily . . . since the rules of the Emperor's Cup are very clear, and that constitutes a business contract)

Furthermore, if they did sue, they could seek compensation for all THEORETICAL revenues. That means that Verdy could have sued the League for damages in the amount that they would have made if they WON THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT, including prize money, TV broadcast fees, gate receipts, advertising revenues . . . . probably several billion yen.

This is why the original decision was so stupid. Because now the league is stuck in an inescapable bind. They cant take away the Reds' right to take part in 2007, for the same reason. The Reds could sue for lost revenues. Whoever wins this year will have the right to play in 2008, and can sue if that right is taken away.

The only thing they could do to reverse this idiotic situation would be to announce ahead of time that "this year's Emperor's Cup winner will not be able to take part in the ACL, the year after next." That would get them off the hook from a legal standpoint, but it would piss alot of people off (particularly whichever team did win the title, that year).

I guess that shows what happens when you make decisions based on politics rather than common sense.

25. gtepp15 redded

gtepp15 redded Red Card

Jan 5, 2006

Japanese article

Tokyo Verdy set J-League Division 2 above the ACL.