WPSL adds fifth team in Florida

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by tampasm, Jan 27, 2006.

1. tampasm

tampasm New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    tampa
    WPSL adds fifth team in Florida

The Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL) has added a team in West Palm Beach.
    Brad Partridge, PBU’s Director of Coaching, has been named as the team’s Head Coach.

I also heard a rumor that Tampa is going to get a womans team very very soon. anyone else hear anything about that?

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, talk about expansion.

3. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    With that many teams, sounds like quantity, not quality.

4. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with the amount of teams they are bringing in, but it is curious that these teams are pretty much on top of each other. Two up in Orlando, and three, with this new team, in SoFla. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm are the same market.

Fla is a huge state, and travel can be a nightmare for the teams (see what happened in the past with the USL DII, when they had teams from Miami to Tallahassee and Pensacola. Teams dropped out simply because of the travel).

Although I understand the idea of the doubleheader weekend schedules, it seems these teams will be competing against each other as much off the field as they will on. I would have like to have seen Orlando, Tampa, Naples/Ft. Meyers and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale as the locations.

5. chrisrun

chrisrun Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems the Miami and Ft Lauderdale teams have the same owner. Tryouts are in the same location for both teams, between the two cities. I wonder how they will split the talent.

6. Falcons

Falcons New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Actually the Orlando Falcons are only tecnically in Orlando. Orlando which is then broken down into different counties.

Central Florida Strikers - Seminole County - Orlando
    Orlando Falcons - Osceola County - Kissimmee

This puts them more than 30miles apart. Wierd I know, but that's how the cookie dough crumbles