Offseason XI: Part IV: Central Defender

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Pick who are your two selections for all-time best DC United Central Defender, while with DC United. I think you can vote for more or fewer than two, but not doing more will dilute your vote. The criteria is up to you: minutes, quility over a length of time, most brilliant moment, likeability, etc.

If your favorite is not on the list, then we can have a challenge knock-off election in a subsequent thread.

Previously:
    Goalkeepers (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262590)
    Winner: Scott Garlick
    Left Backs (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264051)
    Winner: Jeff Agoos
    Right Backs (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265390)
    Winner: Tony Sanneh

Center back nominations:
    Eddie Pope
    Jeff Agoos
    Carlos Llamosa
    Ivan McKinley
    Mark Watson
    Ryan Nelsen
    Mike Petke
    Bobby Boswell
    Facundo Erpen

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I voted for Eddie Pope and Ryan Nelsen. Carlos Llamosa deserves a mention as our best man-marker ever.

3. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Anybody who votes for anyone other than Pope, Nelsen, or Llamosa (especially with Agoos having won the left back job on this team) needs their head examined. And, BTW, one of the votes has to be for Eddie - he's the true no-brainer here.

I went with Eddie and Ryan.

4. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    We can start taking nominations at this time Defensive Center Midfielder. I'd nominate:

Richie Williams, Brian Carroll

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    See, I voted for Llamosa because I thought Nelsen's greatest gift was his leadership and tenacity, not necessarily his defending. However, he was only beaten out by Llamosa by a whisker.

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Ben Olsen, I guess, although he probably should get a look at right mid with Sanneh having taken the right back job. And Geoff Aunger too, I suppose.

It's all downhill after these four. Who else is an option? Dema? Nelsen, from the failed experiment there when he first came in the league?

7. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Jason Moore slid in there a couple of times. No wait, he was supposed to be playing wing. Never mind.

The clear winner here is Williams. There isn't a close second.

8. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope & Nellie for me. Although between Erp-fu and Bozzilla, they have potential to be the next great.

9. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Well, duh. We can have that argument, or lack thereof, when John posts the next poll :)

10. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also as the guy to come out of nowhere to save our bacon with a timely tackle.

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    And the guy who perfected the art of stepping between the attacker and the ball and slowing down until the frustrated forward ran up his back and fouled him. Then Carlos would crumple to the ground, and get up looking aggrieved. Ho-hum - another attack foiled...

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namoff had the role in his rookie season.

Lazy Alavajna?

13. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Erpen reminds me a lot of Llamosa, except that he is not as good.

14. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    You think? I kind of see Erpen as the anti-Chuck - incredibly gifted and skilled on the ball, but prone to gigantic mental errors and poor positioning.

15. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

??

Erpen plays nothing like Carlos, IMO. Llamosa was calm and steady. Erpen is not, although he tackles just as well.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Man, this is a tough one. Eddie for sure. Between Carlos and Ryan??? Hmm, that's not easy. I gotta go with Carlos, but that is a REALLY hard decision.

17. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    YEah, it was a tough decision, but I went with Nelsen over Llamosa because he played the organizer role very well.

18. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    I'd say Erpen is like Llamosa because of the saving tackles to stop breakaway situations that nobody else in the league can really do without fouling. This is important for a team that sends their outside defenders into the attack. The biggest danger while in attack is being counterattacked, and if the central defender can't stop these, then outside backs have to stay home.

I'd say Erpen's biggest problem is on set-plays and marking up.

19. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I don't recall Agoos ever playing centrally for DCU. He was moved there at San Jose and The Nat'l team the same time, after he left DC. I think.

20. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Yeah, it was a tough call for me too, mainly because I did, do, and always will love both Chuck and Ryan. I took Ryan because of his (highly underrated, IMO) linking play and skill on the ball, as well as his demonstrated ability to play effectively as a center back in both 4-4-2 and 3-5-1 schemes. I don't know if Carlos was a good enough athlete to have been effective in the middle of a 3 back lineup.

Eddie deserves the "#1 central defender in DC United history" award, but I think, when all is said and done, Ryan will go down as the best central defender to have come through MLS in its first 10 years. As great as Eddie was, he would not have become this respected this quickly had he gone to Europe back then.