Offseason XI: Part III: Right Defender

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Mr Hanki's Throne, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Pick who is your selection for all-time best DC United Right Defender, while with DC United. The criteria is up to you: minutes, quility over a length of time, most brilliant moment, likeability, etc.

If your favorite is not on the list, then we can have a challenge knock-off election in a subsequent thread.

Offseason Xi: Part II: Left Defender

Previously:
    Goalkeepers (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262590)
    Winner: Scott Garlick
    Left Backs (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264051)
    Winner: Jeff Agoos

Right back nominations:
    Clint Peay
    David Vaudreuil
    Tony Sanneh
    Diego Sonora
    John Harkes
    Scott Vermillion
    Judah Cooks
    Craig Zaidie
    Milton Reyes
    Galin Ivanov
    Bryan Namoff
    Brandon Prideaux

2. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    We can also start taking some nominations for central defender here. I make two positions with one vote

Eddie Pope, Jeff Agoos, Carlos Llamosa, Ivan McKinley, Ryan Nelsen, Bobby Boswell, Facundo Erpen

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I was so close to voting for Judah Cooks. :eek: ;)

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I voted for Sonora.

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

I was having a bad day already, and you had to remind me of Ivan McKinley.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I voted for Sonora only because I considered Sanneh to be more of a right sided winger than defender.

7. JLZ286

JLZ286 Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Ann Arbor
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Peay?

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Mark Watson, aka "Pokey".

9. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Sonora all the way over Sanneh. First, LaStort is right. Sanneh spent more time playing a right side middie. Secondly, Sonora was not only a solid defender but had skill going forward. If I remember correctly Tony's passes were like Prideaux's when he goes forward. Not very good. No threat in most cases. Although he, like Prideaux this past season improved a bit over time. Still need to give Namoff some more time to cement his place here. Right now, he is my runner up.
    Did we really play Harksie at right back that often?

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Sonora as well. The offensive ability, specifically the passes to the opposite side to change the point of attack were something that neither Sanneh, Prideaux, or for now, Namoff could do consistently.

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke.

I really can't think of anyone else. Prideaux did some spot duty there, Kamler may have (but Kamler ought to be on the Offseason XI:part XIII: Utility Man)

Edit: There's also Stokes.....

12. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I voted for David Vaudreuil. We would not have gotten to, or won, MLS Cup '97 without him. He improved immensely over the year and became very dangerous going forward.

13. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I voted for Sanneh but I think Reyes was truly underrated. If he hadn't got injured he probably would've still been with the and been one of the best RB of the league. Wheres he playing nowadays?

14. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    This is sort of a weird one. I voted for Vaud for much the same reasons Matt did. Sanneh was probably the best player (at least in a United kit) on this list, but he was really a right mid who played a few games at right back. Is it possible for a guy to win at two positions? :D

Really, among actual right backs, this is a choice between Vaud, Sonora, Reyes, and Namoff.

I'm also going to guess that the votes for Vermilion and Ivanov were either jokes or mistakes ;)

15. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    I think if a player does win in two positions, there should be a vote to pick his position, promoting 1st runner to the other position, in accord to the long-standing rules of the International Sisterhood of National and State Beauty Pageant Scholarship Programs.

#8 Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Washington DC metro
    I am not understanding the love for Sonora - I always thought he sucked ass defensively. Much better suited on the edge of a 5 man midfield. However, I don't recall him having a great workrate either. I agree he had nice ability to go forward, but basically I just don't think he was all that.

17. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You're exactly right. He was a technically gifted right-sided midfielder. He didn't like playing defender, and got forward at every opportunity.

And he didn't have ninja hair like Vaud.

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But incredibly representative of their respective stays at United. :)

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    No, it just means we can just add two more names to our thread about which DC United personnel lurk/post here.

20. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Why isn't G.R. Cannon a choice?

:D