Austria Salzburg - Call for Solidarity

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Dougly, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Dougly

Dougly New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Cape Neddick, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive the wholesale quote from a guy from BarraBrava, but he does such a good job of summing up the situation:

Emphasis mine.

Barra Brava have done their part for solidarity with Salzburg:
    [​IMG]

And as a former Salzburger myself I'd like to do something similar. OK with everyone?

Oh, and by the way - Boycott Red Bull.

-Doug

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's a shame, but I do love red bull & vodka.

As Dave Attell says:

"Red Bull & Vodka: Just what a drunk needs.......energy!"

3. Dougly

Dougly New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Cape Neddick, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brianzappa - Maybe you can fill Chowda in on the substitute you found for mixing vodka without supporting Red Bull?

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Sure, especially seeing how there have been demonstrations of solidarity from all over the world.

The Magpie

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the plan Doug? What do you want to do?

6. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    snort crushed no doze pill, follow with shot if chilled vodka?

7. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I haven't tried that yet, but I've been trying out replacements. A couple have been close to acceptable, but not enough to end the experiment. It will behoove me to have an answer by the 12th, so I'll share it here when I've got one.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Getting back on... *ahem*... topic, doing a banner would probably be best: this seems to be what several clubs are doing to show support.

Here's one from Norway:

[​IMG]

The Magpie

9. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    How about something like the Judean People's Front did at the end of Life of Brian?

10. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

on it; check your email

11. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Splitters!

12. Dougly

Dougly New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Cape Neddick, Maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Evan suggested, I was thinking banner... but it sounds like UltraPeanut is on the case. I look forward to seeing what she's got going on.

I do especially like the wording of the banner in Evan's photo. Something simple like "Solidarität mit Austria Salzburg" or "Salzburg ist und bleibt Violett" would be good, too.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe something in English will help people understand what it's all about.

Maybe something like "Say no to corporate interests. Say no to Red Bull. We support Austria Salzburg" in purple and white.

Reminds me of back in the 80s when it was fashionable to wear t-shirts with Japanese characters on them, a Japanese friend busted out laughing when he saw a shirt that said in Japanese "I am a fool who paid far too much for this shirt"

Tom

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  15. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Ahhhhhhh. Revolution is in the air! The People's Republic of Cambridge rises again. Maybe we can get Mike Dukakis to lead us forth into battle against those nefarious wallet sucking soul killers. Drive the scum out, I say. Who needs corporations and their blood money? Who needs jobs? Don't we live in a democracy? Surely we can just tax the rich, and maybe the poor just a little more, and make sport franchises public property. Or else pass a law fixing ticket prices. Or, better yet, give ourselves a stipend to be fans. THAT ought to improve attendance! Besides, who the hell does Red Bull think they are, Coca Cola? That stuff tastes terrible. How do they expect fans to root for a team that represents such a foul product. I say kick them out and let Salzburg find a nice group of liability lawyers to buy them and create a cozy ethical atmosphere that we can all enjoy.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You know, I almost wonder whether you forgot the sarcasm tags ;)

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm all for bad things to happen to Red Bull for trying to kill the soul of a club for shameless promotion. I think Karma will have its say in the end.

I'm also for ANY sponsorship deal to be worked out for the revs if it meant paying to bring in better players.

As long as it doesn't turn people off or make us look silly. (i.e. the Ricky Schroder pampers logo on our jerseys. Unless, of course, Ricky Schroder was a billionaire and wanted to buy the team to put his baby pictures everywhere. That would be cool!) :rolleyes:

18. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. If Halliburton and Bechtel can purchase us a good one then perhaps we can finally live in fine democracy (oops, sorry Magpie, forgot the sarcasm tags ;))

But assuming that this is indeed a democracy, the least we can do is raise our voice and do some "voting in the marketplace" with a boycott. If you approve of what Red Bull is doing then by all means drink up.

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Anyone else find it ironic or inappropriate for MLS fans to be standing in solidarity with some random Austrian club against 'modern football' when MLS teams are owned by some of the richest people and largest corporations in the world? I know the idea behind being a club supporter is to stand tall with all supporters of the game throughout the world but the idea of MLS fans getting involved seems a bit ridiculous to me. We are 'modern football.'

20. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Hey, if you want to talk about the Duke, you're going to have to go through me.

[​IMG]

21. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the caption, "My uncle ran for president and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"?

22. bridgeviewturd

bridgeviewturd BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview
    Guys why do you think anyone is going to care about this?? Just curious

23. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

wouldnt it be better if there was a slash through the Red Bull logo?

24. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

A young Clint Dempsey working the Nacogdoches branch of the Duke's campaign.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Yup, just couldn't come up with a decent one for the moment.

Probably not, but then, does it matter?

The Magpie