Should BigSoccer has a "Classic Threads and Posts" Forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Requests and Voting' started by pc4th, Sep 30, 2005.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am browsing redcafe and walla 'there's a classic threads and posts' forum. I have been advocating one similar to it for the past 2 years on my 'newbie guide to BigSoccer' suggestion and most recently '5 stars rating threads subforum'.

I think BigSoccer needs such a forum because it would be great for newbie to read the best that BigSoccer has to offer from the past few years. It would also make newbie coming back more often or even sign up as a new member.

For example, I am on Xtratime Community messageboard (the second biggest soccer message board in the world according to messageboard trackers www.big-boards.com) and one of the first thing I want to know is 'what are some of the best threads that this soccer message board has to offer.' If a newbie visiting Bigsoccer read such classic threads as "Yank kid in torino' or check out the awsome pictures on 'Official funny soccer pictures thread' he/she would more likely to come back and even sign up as a registered member.

Also, it might be a good idea for "Classic threads and Posts" Forum to have a sticky "Frequent Asked Threads" (FAT) that provide a listing of threads that often repeat itself by new posters. Using MLS as an example.

MLS and single table thread
    MLS and promotion/relegation
    MLS compares to other league around the world
    MLS is ranked #71 according to IFFF (something).

Wouldn't it be great if you just reply 'refer to FAT (Frequent Asked Threads) in the Classic Threads and Posts Forum everytime a newbie advocate that MLS should have promotion and relegation because the rest of the world does it.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on people. Speak up.

If you're a newbie to BigSoccer, wouldn't you want to have a forum where a lot of "classic threads" are categorized and linked so you can check them out?

And if you're tired of repeatative threads that newbie frequently asked, wouldn't you also want a FAT (frequent asked threads) that you can refer them to?

Thanks vw for his part in MLS general sticky 'popular threads topic'
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250730

p.s. how many more people that need to agree with me before Huss can make it happen? This is an idea that can improve BigSoccer. Please make it happen.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is an excellent idea IMO! BigSoccer should definitely have this!

4. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a newbie, I whole-heartedly agree!

5. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for clarification. The Classic Threads and Posts Forum is not really a forum. It's more of a link to the actual 'classic threads and posts' with a short description of why this thread deserve to be read.

It would be something like this (using the following as an example):

(Forum Name) Classic Threads and Posts Archive
    (Thread Title) The Official Funny Soccer Pictures Thread

The Official Funny Soccer Pictures Thread - Started: November 5, 2003

Description: Hailed by many posters as one of the most entertaining threads in BigSoccer. This five-stars thread will provide you with countless hours of laughter. It is so popular that there is a Part II and Part III continuation. Over 42 pages long and viewed by a record 93,228 times, this classic thread can't be missed. Don't wait. Click on the link above now and see for yourself why this thread is a BigSoccer's favorite. For newbie, do I have to explain more? Go! Click! Now! For BigSoccer veteran, I feel sorry for you if you haven't had the pleassure of viewing this 5-stars gem.

6. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difficult part is how to determine which threads can be considered 'classic.' I have a suggestion for the solution. Create a SubForum title 'Classic Threads Nominee' and let's the voters decide on a time-based poll (10 days). A 2/3 vote in favor would give the thread its classic status.

Oh, some really good writers can write the description.

OR of course, Huss and all the moderators can pick which threads they consider classic and move it into the this Archive/Forum.

Also, you can't create threads in the actual forum. You can reply, but can't create. Similar to what is happening in the "Soccer Journal" Forum right now.

7. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

that's a good one.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Only if the Friedel Manifesto is in the number one slot for the rest of BigSoccer history.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nominate this thread to be in the potential "Classic Threads Nominee SubForum"

Yank Kid at Torino?

Description: Hailed by many posters as one of the longest threads in BigSoccer. This five-stars thread will not provide you with countless hours of laughter, sadly. It's about a Yank kid who didn't make it (yet). It's long (over 72 pages with over 1000 pages) but it is a very worthwhile read if you are out of beer and out things to do. If you are stuck in a desert island however, you might have better things to do. Like trying to survive until rescue arrive.

A 2/3 votes in favor would promote this thread into Premiership status [I mean Classic Status]. So please vote responsibly.

10. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the forums are changed (with BigSoccer HP now at the bottom) maybe BigSoccer should add a Classic Threads Forum to BigSoccer HP

Imagine what it would look like:

11. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Great idea. Don't know whether or not it would cause so many problems with the servers that you guys are on.
    Personally I think it is a great idea.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This is actually a very good idea.

The RSSSF has a classic section which is very informative, there are quite a few classic bits to BS that would deserve more attention.

13. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I love the idea. But someone would have to be in charge of digging them up, and somneone else would have to promise not to harrass us about the great crash! :)

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Nothing comes up for me with that, just "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try this

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Riiiiiight, I've only heard of the "legend" of Seagroves and his flaming of people on the US boards.

Not quite the sort of classic threads I had in mind but hey ...

18. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested a solution a few posts back.

Create a SubForum title 'Classic Threads Nominee' and let's the voters decide on a time-based poll (10 days). A 2/3 vote in favor would give the thread its classic status.

A slight change: 2/3 votes in favor. Make it 7 days instead of 10 days. Minimum of 50 votes total. Posters can not post a new thread in "Classic Threads Forum" similar to Soccer Journal, that way, only the thread that pass the 'vote' will appear in the Classic Threads Forum.

It would look like this

19. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Great minds think alike.
    I understand what you mean there Huss.

20. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    revision

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I know, they're all about football. And who wants to read about that?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow, when you find a new bone, you just don't let go, do you?

23. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY

Half the pictures don't show anymore.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Most of the other half really aren't "funny." Interesting or odd, but definitely not "funny."

25. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Great Job, Parm!