Udinese freeze out Iaquinta!

Discussion in 'Italy' started by neroazzurri, Sep 20, 2005.

1. neroazzurri

neroazzurri New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Udinese freeze out Iaquinta! Tuesday 20 September, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Udinese have sent shockwaves around Serie A by confirming that Vincenzo Iaquinta has been frozen out of the squad for refusing to sign a contract extension.

“With great personal regret I realised today that Iaquinta is the only one of our lads who doesn’t see himself as part of the Udinese project aimed at achieving certain goals,” explained director general Pietro Leonardi in a statement on the official club website this evening.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep20j.html

What do you guys think?
    Do you think he's right to do so after he score that hat-trick in the CL match, or is he being selfish and sees himself as better than anyone else in his squad?

:confused:

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    its rediculous. if he gets himself a good lawyer hes gonna walk all over udinese in this case. im sure there is nothing in his contract that says he is expected to renew it or sit on the bench. this crap is getting unacceptable. first cassano and now iaquinta. i really hope someone does something about this. the players union should step in and take care of the players rights once and for all and put a stop to this slavery mentatilty by the clubs.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    neroazzurri, could you please post the link to the article. Posting full articles is a copyright violation. I tried to find the original story but was unsuccessful.

Anyway, it's a bizarre story.

4. neroazzurri

neroazzurri New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    LOS ANGELES, CA

My bad. I should have know. :D

channel4.com
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep20j.html

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Who in the f-ing world would make such a decision? Maybe Fabio Capello or Luciano Moggi . . . but surely not the Udinese management??? :confused: :rolleyes:

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is a disgrace! They should let Iaquinta play. He is their most valuable player. If he doesn't want to sign a contract extension, why should he? This mentality is absurd to say the least!

I was looking forward to watching the Udinese vs Juve match but I don't think I'd enjoy watching this match as much as I wanted to.

7. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    In that case, isn't this a nice surprise for Juve w/ such perfect timing!

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    stupid, stupid udinese acting like a friggin' tantrum baby

9. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Another NT player....just what we need.

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Udinese are only hurting them selves. They have to keep paying the guy and choose not to use him.

11. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Udinese has done this before, even a year ago they did this to Pizarro. Eventually he came back into the squad and perform very well to earn a big money move out.

Udinese is very smart in terms of buying low and selling high....one of the few clubs that routinely turns a profit.

12. INTER4LIFE

INTER4LIFE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 10, 2005
    TORONTO
  13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The clubs aren't just hurting themselves but they're hurting the Italian national team.

14. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I blame Udinese for this. Contract discussions should take place in the off-season, not during the season.

I don't think Iaquinta has done anything wrong here.

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    thats exactly the point. iaquinta hasnt done anything wrong. its udinese thats acting unprofessional. when you sign a 3 year contract with a club youre not signing for the rest of your career. if this kind of thing happened in the nba, the players union would go nuts on the league. there would be a strike in two seconds and the owners would fold like a house of cards. i hope iaquinta doesnt back down and the players back him and get a call on this thing so it doesnt end up being the norm. this crap isnt what the free agency was supposed to be about.

16. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yes with 2 years to run on his deal, very strange for Udinese to act this way. And the timing too, just as the team was to enter a key league stretch. Leave it to Moratti to sum it up:

"It is even stranger that all this occurred just before the Juventus match…"

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep22d.html

curious to see which big clubs steps up with the cash...

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    heres me hoping Juventus comes up with that money. i think hes better then Zalayeta. just switch those two in our squad rotation.

18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    However, Iaquinta would not get much playing time. I hardly think that someone who is competing for a spot on the NT would want to come to Juve to be the 4th or 5th option in attack.

19. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree absolutely. What is the deal with these small clubs
    demanding their players negotiate renewals during the season,
    and punishing them for not doing so publicly and unprofess-
    ionally?

Iaquinta hasn't done anything wrong. It's the club that's acting
    foolishly--and it will pay for doing so. By excluding their star
    striker they are going to see why he's worth the money they're
    not willing to pay him. Schmucks.

20. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Vincenzo Iaquinta...hmm!

Timing... in his previous two games he's scored 4 goals!

A hatrick on UCL debut and a PK in Serie A.

His contract doesn't expire till 2007 i read somewhere but Udinese are essentially telling the man he has to sign to play!

Thats atrocious, shame on Udinese!!!
    Here's a guy who has been a star on this team for years now, he's 25 or 26 and is now becoming a bonafide star and as such is in demand by the bigger clubs! Yet with all this said he is still performing for Udinese, they can afford to use him this year and if all they care about is the money then sell him in January or better still summer!

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

There is nothing in his contract that says he has to play.

The coach can always say that he’s not playing him because he’s “noot good for the team spirit” or something else. He has no obligation to play him.

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Udinese's fault totally. 100% Udinese. 0% Iaquinta. Anyone who believes that Iaquinta is at fault for this is a jackass so that includes the Udinese administration.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

24. Danck989

Danck989 Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Canada
    What has this come to, it is ridiculous for a club to do such a thing,and sadly we're seeing this happen more often.Iaquinta's a great young player as some have mentioned fighting for a spot in the NT he's been having great performances and Udinese know they wont have him for much longer though he still has a contract that tie with to the club till 2007 yet they want him to sign an extention,talk about unethical.