Young Italian talent thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Aug 19, 2005.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Just thought I'd start posting some photos and info about some of the upcoming talent on Italy's various youth teams. Feel free to join in. I'll start with Rolando Bianchi of the U-21 team:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Place of birth: Albano San Alessandro (Bergamo)
    Date of birth: Feb 15, 1983
    First club: Atalanta
    Serie A debut: June 17, 2001 (Juventus vs Atalanta)

Notebook: Recently sold by hometown club Atalanta to Reggina for 3 million Euros ... spent last two seasons on loan at Cagliari, scoring 4 goals in 39 appearances .... likened in style to Alberto Gilardino after getting off to a quick start in the current U-21 European Championship campaign ... has 4 goals in 5 qualifying starts for the Azzurrini (+ 2 goals in 4 friendlies) ... first appeared for Italy at U-17 level in 2000 season, while in Atalanta's youth system.

2. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

Defender from Merate (by Milan) plays for Atalanta born 5-15-1986

Stats from 2005

19 Games played
    3 Yellow cards
    Minutes: 1645

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Just to fill in, that's Marco Motta, another player from Atalanta's wonderful youth development system. Some other info on Motta -

Serie A Debut - Jan 9, 2005 (Roma vs Atalanta)

Though still eligible for the U-19s, Motta made the leap to Italy's U-21 squad earlier this year and is touted by some as Italy's future hope at right back. He debuted for Italy with the U-16s in 2002 and has >30 appearances at various age levels. He is an attacking back and has scored 6 goals for Italy. He was even tried at right midfield in Italy's most recent U-21 friendly vs France (though not too successfully). Motta was sent to Udinese this summer on a co-ownership deal.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And while we're on an Atalanta theme, how about Riccardo Montolivo:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Place of birth: Caravaggio (Bergamo)
    Date of birth: Jan 18, 1985
    Serie A debut: Sept 12, 2004 (Atalanta vs Lecce)

An elegant attacking midfielder whose "babyface" belies his strength on the ball. Montolivo has been almost everpresent for Atalanta the past two seasons with 73 appearances and 7 goals in Serie A/B. Blossomed last season after being handed full control of the midfield when Demetrio Albertini left the club in January. Still couldn't help Atalanta recover from club's poor start as they were relegated to Serie B. Many teams have inquired about him during this transfer season but (so far) he has been labelled "untouchable" by Atalanta.

Montolivo debuted for Italy with the U-15s in 2001. He was on the U-19 team which in 2004 qualified for this summer's World Youth Championship but immediately "graduated" to the U-21s and was left off the final U-20 squad for the Netherlands. Debuted at the U-21 level on Sept 3, 2004 vs Norway.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Stepping down in age a bit, here's Giuseppe Rossi:

[​IMG]

Place of birth: New Jersey (USA)
    Date of birth: Feb 1, 1987 (I've also seen Sept 24, 1988, but 1987 more often)
    First club: Parma

A controversial figure in American soccer circles, this quick small attacker with excellent dribbling skills has chosen to try his hand playing for Italy rather than his country of birth. Raised in the US and moved to Italy to play in Parma's youth system. Transferred to Manchester United in summer 2004 and received that club's Young Player of the Year award after starring for the Reds' reserve teams and making a handful of appearances with the main squad this past season.

Debuted for Italy at the U-16 level in 2003 and quickly advanced to the U-17 squad. Scored 6 goals in 9 games for the U-17s, which disappointingly failed to qualify for the 2004 European finals. Appeared only a few times for the U-18 squad last year as his club responsibilities in England increased. Expected be a mainstay for the new batch of U-19s which begins European qualifying this fall.

Here's a great video with Rossi highlights from ManU's reserve team:
    http://bigjet.free.fr/rossi/rossi2.wmv

7. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

graziano pelle
    Born: July 15, 1985 (weighing 11.2 pounds) :eek:
    Birthplace: Lecce
    Club: Lecce

Pelle scored 2 goals vs Cananda in this year's 2005 FIFA WORLD YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP and scored the winning goal vs USA in their 3-1 win over america. Pelle reminds me of a younger Toni, (tall, great moves, wonderful shot)

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Pelle' is a latebloomer in terms of national team experience, at least compared to some of these other guys, only getting called up to the U-20s within the past year. He wasn't even on the U-19 team which earned Italy's place in the World Youth Championship last summer, but as you say, he certainly impressed once in the spotlight.

Lecce is another club with a fabulous youth setup. Pelle' debuted in Serie A for them on Jan 11, 2004 vs Bologna. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Catania and is will look to impress this year back at Lecce, in hopes of getting an eventual callup to the U-21s.

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I can't believe we didn't exercise our option on Montolivo this summer. Most disappointing aspect of Fiorentina's offseason, as far as I'm concerned. The only reason for it is that it was possibly a privately-agreed-upon portion of the Pazzini transfer.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Since you know more than I do about this, did the two clubs have a co-ownership situation for Montolivo? And is Pazzini fully owned by Fiorentina now? Speaking of Pazzini ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giampaolo Pazzini
    Date of birth: Aug 2, 1984
    Place of birth: Pescia (Pistoia)
    Serie A debut: Sept 12, 2004 (Atalanta vs Lecce)

Bianchi's frontrunning partner for the current U-21s, Pazzini debuted for Italy at the U-16 level in 2000 and played a key role on the team which won the U-19 UEFA championship in 2003. He had 6 goals in 13 appearances with that team and scored in both the semifinal and final victories. After a solid Serie B campaign with Atalanta 2003-4 (9 goals), he debuted for the current U-21 team with another goal against Norway last September. Pazzini proved his abilities in Serie A last season with 6 goals in 26 total appearances with Atalanta and his current club, Fiorentina, whom he joined in January.

11. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    I was just about to mention Pazzini. I remember awhile back Gianluca Vialli stated that Pazzini is going to be something special. Hopefully, he is right.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Well, when we bought Pazzini they publically said that, as part of the deal, we also had the option to buy Montolivo AND Lazzari. There was a cutoff date, though... Something like the last day of June and we did nothing. I was pretty shocked because the signing of Prandelli had just become official and, with his attacking style and history of nurturing young talent, I was really expecting to at least buy Montolivo.
    Pazzini is 100% ours but I don't think he'll feature. He will probably be Toni's backup.
    Atalanta's youth system IS awesome. When one looks through where the all-time azzurri greats hail from, it seems like half were born within 30 miles, or so, of Bergamo.

13. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember how impressed I was with Bianchi's gol when I saw it live. I look forward to seeing how he handles himself against Roma next Sunday.

14. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'll take this kid over Freddy Adu any time...

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Pazzini was certainly influential in Fiorentina's win over Cesena yesterday, coming in for Bojinov in the last 20 minutes. He almost immediately drew the foul which had Cesena reduced to 10 men and he scored the winning goal 15 seconds from the end, getting there first to a ball headed down by Toni.

Pazzini is quite different from Toni - a much quicker player - also what they'd call "chippy" in hockey, buzzing around the feet of the opposing defenders, clipping their ankles, making lots of niggling fouls but occasionally getting the ball. I can sure see why he's suspended for Italy's next U-21 qualifier! He could well feature, either as an offensive sub like yesterday, or he might even take Bojinov's starting spot if he doesn't start showing more of the form he had at Lecce.

16. INTER4LIFE

INTER4LIFE BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 10, 2005
    TORONTO
    Im not too familiar with Rossi.....Do you guys see him in a starting role for the italian national team when hes older? Is he a player that will someday lead us to great victories?

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Hopefully an Italian club signs him. Historically the national team is heavily-biased towards players in Serie A. Of course, he's still very young.

18. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Giuseppe Rossi is the source of much angst for followers of the US National Team. Check out any thread featuring ManU on the "Yanks Abroad" board and you'll find several bitter folks demanding his ex-communication from the good ol' US of A, mixed with more level-headed analysis of his play and potential.

My own view? The kid's got skills. But it's too early to say if he'll be a protagonist for the Azzurri. He could be the next Cassano on one hand, or the next Morfeo on the other.

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's Alessandro Rosina -

[​IMG]

Date of birth - Jan 31, 1984
    Place of birth - Belvedere Marittimo (Cosenza)
    First club - Parma
    Serie A debut - Feb 16, 2003 (Parma vs Juventus)

Diminutive (5'9") left-sided attacking midfielder with flashy skills. Starts regularly with the current U-21 team and was also a member of the 2004 European championship squad. Had a beautiful backheel flick on the full volley to set up a goal for Bianchi in a Euro qualifier vs Belarus last October (could only find this page with a highlight video, but what he did is not clear on it). Has yet to find a niche in Serie A. More of a creator than a classic wide midfielder but often plays on the outside. 25 league appearances in 3 seasons with Parma but no goals as yet (did score one goal in the UEFA Cup though). Loaned to Serie B outfit Verona last January and had a successful stint with the club, scoring 2 goals in 17 games. Back with Parma for this season.

20. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    The following appeared on www.fiorentina.it about 5 minutes ago. Woohoo!

La società comunica: pochi dettagli per ingaggio Montolivo

24/08/2005
    Ecco il comunicato appena diramato dalla Acf Fiorentina:

La Fiorentina comunica che mancano ancora pochi dettagli per definire il trasferimento del centrocampista Nazionale Under21, Riccardo Montolivo (classe 1985) dall’ Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio.

21. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sue, have you thought of adding Andrea Russotto,
    Arturo Lupoli, or Andrea Coda, to this thread?

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Hadn't thought of Coda but had definitely thought of Russotto and Lupoli. Couldn't find any good pictures of Russotto! Maybe if he gets some games at Treviso. Poor Coda was the goat of Empoli's loss to Parma in the Coppa Italia last weekend. First, he got the handball which caused Parma's penalty, then he missed the critical PK in the shootout. I felt bad for the kid.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Good, he should be at a Serie A club. Hope he gets significant playing time.

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here's a great picture of Andrea Russotto:

[​IMG]

There are several more shots of him at the photogallery here:
    http://www.figc.it/english/gallery/01_photo_u17.htm

Date of birth - May 26, 1988
    Place of birth - Rome
    First club - Lazio
    Serie A debut - still to come

The most skillful player on Italy's U-17 team which finished 3rd in the European Championship last spring. Partly because he's from Rome, but also because of his position ("fantasista") and playing style, he's been labelled by some as a "little Totti". Mysteriously sold by Lazio to Swiss outfit Bellinzona after the 2003/4 season. Played sparingly (9 appearances/1 goal) for the first team in Switzerland before being loaned to Serie C2 club Cisco Lodigiani last year. Now on loan with Treviso and should get his Serie A debut sometime this season. Said to be on the radar screen of many big clubs, including Chelsea. Debuted for Italy at the U-15 level in 2003 and was on the U-17 team within 3 months. Inexplicably left off the initial training roster for the upcoming U-17 World Championships, although Treviso's website says he has now been called into camp. With any luck, he'll be with the Italian team in Peru.

25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I saw Pazzini for the first time last night. I do not follow Fiorentina closely, but I wanted to see Bojinov and got disappointed this Pazzini started over him. But then, he impressed me.