US-Mexico TV information

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by geordienation, Aug 2, 2005.

1. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    SUM wants US-Mexico LIVE on English-language television.

SUM has two choices: ESPN Classic (around 60 million households) or FOX Soccer Channel (around 25 million households), neither of which is expected to draw significant ratings in the top 10 major TV markets because the match will also air in Spanish on Telemundo.

Because ESPN Classic is limited to only a certain number of live events due to its affiliate agreements (according to SI's Grant Wahl), ESPN might be reluctant to use one of the live event slots on a non-exclusive event.

We know for certain that the delayed broadcast on ESPN2 was pulled.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that US-Mexico will end up live in English on FOX Soccer Channel.

Stay tuned.

2. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn them at ESPN....they can still show it on tape delay, on 20million have FSC

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it might be a Catch 22. FSC may say they will only do it if ESPN gets nothing. ESPN may say they can only do tape-delayed.

SUM and the Fed should have ironed this out months ago.

4. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Quote from SUM (ESPN/ABC) analyst Marcelo Balboa during the USHOF game on FSC:

"I was supposed to do US vs Mexico, but I don't know where that will air."

I am now waiting for that FSC press release in my e-mail inbox.

In my opinion, it is only a matter of time before SUM and FSI completes the deal to put US-Mexico on FSC.

Stay tuned.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we elect you media coordinator for the Fed?? We don't always agree on media issues, but at least you have some foresight...... :D

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. It's not like USC v Hawai'i got scheduled last week.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, it goes further than that. They had this same problem FOUR YEARS AGO when they had to play the Honduras game at 10 a.m. because of college football. And in that time, Gameday has basically become its own network, which even probably ruled out a morning kickoff (that along with OSU playing in the daytime that same day).

College football is one of ESPN's bread and butter products. To thik there would be any reasonable chance to get this game on ABC, ESPn or ESPN2 is naive. They should have had a rock-solid, no-debate contract for this game on some channel months ago.

8. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    They should just sign a deal with FSC where any US national team games that won't be shown on ESPN/2 due to conflicting interests are shown on FSC. The conflicts would be obvious months in advance and it's not like ESPN would make a big deal out of it since they clearly would rather show the programming that makes them money (college football) than the USMNT qualifiers.

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    If it does end up on FSC there MIGHT also be high-definition coverage on HDNet. Quite the possibility if ESPN totally falls through.

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Guatemala game has now disappeared from ESPN's schedules as well.

WTF?

11. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Don't know whether SUM ordered an HD production truck to be in Columbus.

HDNet has two HD production trucks and both of them have other assignments that weekend: 1 HDNet truck will be at Fontana for NASCAR Busch Series and the other HDNet truck will be in Denver for Colorado-DC United.

12. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Obviously a deal is going down between SUM/MLS and FOX Sports Int'l.

I have to wait for the press release like everyone else.

13. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Due to Wednesday night baseball on ESPN2, ESPN cannot guarantee that Guatemala vs US will air live as scheduled, forcing SUM/MLS to switch Guatemala-US over to FOX Soccer Channel which has a ton of TV time available even on short notice.

Note that ESPN Classic is only allowed to air a certain number of live events each year due to contract agreements with cable and satellite carriers (affiliates).

ESPN is obviously reluctant to use one of the live event slots on ESPN Classic on a game which is either "non-exclusive" (US-Mexico) or possibly "meaningless" to its target audience. (Guatemala-US).

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im madder than a dog sh1tting tacks right now
    :mad: :mad:

someone needs to get the axe for this...

15. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game should be over-the-air. I don't follow this TV stuff, but eventually Mexico-USA should be a match that shouldn't even be relegated to cable. The FCC is giving licenses to companies with their heads up their arses.

16. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    US-Mexico is over-the-air, in Spanish, on Telemundo.

The English-speaking audience for World Cup qualifying games involving the US is way too small to justify putting the game in prime time on a broadcast network such as ABC.

A typical Saturday night college football game on ABC would draw at least 5 times the audience compared to a US-Mexico qualifier.

Heck, an old Disney family movie will draw 3 times the audience on ABC compared to a US-Mexico qualifier.

The bulk of the audience for a US-Mexico qualifier will watch it on Telemundo no matter which network will have it in English.

17. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that. Maybe in the next World Cup, when the games aren't at 5 in the morning, we'll know for sure.

18. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hes right, WCQ's dont draw d1ck. The world cup itself draws audiences....i believe over 5 million saw the Germany game.

Fact is, there is certainly not the audience for USA soccer that there is for football yet. It sucks but something we have to deal with. FSC is not the answer unless your going to put it on basic cable packages. otherwise screw it, its useless....

there will still be plenty of pissed off people who cant watch the game, including myself.

PS...if anyone knows where i can find out if i can get Telemundo free in Madison Wisconsin let me know...im about to lose it

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tape delay and the Guat game are back on the ESPN2 schedule.

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    interesting. I hope it still airs live on FSC though that might be up in the air now.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that the game will air both live on FSC and on tape delay on ESPN2. It's one or the other.

Though with the drama surrounding this game who knows anymore.

22. joebloe888

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Something must have happened late Monday night. I do know that SUM and FSI were talking on Monday.

23. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Wouldn't surprise me if SUM received assurances from ESPN regarding the game against Guatemala (i.e. that ESPN 2 would show the game in its entirety immediately following MLB should the baseball game go past 10:00 Eastern), and/or decided that various circumstances (sponsors, among other things) might be problematic should the games air on FSC.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except of course that doesn't explain why USA/Mexico is still on in the middle of the night when that SUM guy clearly said this game will air live in English.

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hanging onto hope until I hear an official announcement. Callme crazy.