Trofeo Santiago Bernabéu and MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Pmoliu, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
    Just read on Real Madrid's website that this years Trofeo Santiago Bernabeu will be played between RM and an MLS All-Star team.

Not bad news.

None the less, I hate Real Madrid

Paul

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
  3. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
    That's great, which MLS team is gonna play Real?

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeekers, that's an ugly trophy. Is it just me or does that picture look like a deleted scene from The Fantastic Four, where the Human Torch is impishly turning his dotty old aunt's favorite silver punch bowl into a pool of molten slag?

5. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Can this be explained a little more?

How is the game Monday I thought Real Madrid just landed in China for a tour.

6. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The MLS All-Star Team

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  8. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Here's an idea for this game.

The players vote on a captain for this team.

That guy then picks an 18 man roster to go to Spain.

Crazy?

No

9. Celta

Celta New Member

Jan 23, 2001
    I read this in Marca (Spanish newspaper dedicated to sports)...I think this is great news! It gives Spain more exposure to the MLS...and that's great for the league.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How will MLS coaches feel about losing their best players for another week? Will Sampson be happy losing Landon for another game in their hunt for the playoffs, etc.? How many games can Colorado afford Mastroeni to miss with them?

Will it be the same team that takes on Fulham? I say we take an all-American team over. However, are the best players in MLS starting to play too many games. With our WCQ games, these all-star games, US Open Cup, CCC, international friendlies with both club and country, etc. I know the answer is probably no, but it's worth thinking about.

11. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why? :confused:

12. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    On MLS players getting too many games...

There was an article on DaMarcus Beasley the other day saying that he played somewhere around 60 games during his time at PSV (however his time frame ran from August to April/May).

This is where I think MLS should look at starting the seasons up in February and allowing time off a week or so at a time during the summer months. This time would allow MLS players to recover from summer heat and allow others to play in exhibitions and national team contests w/o sacrificing time from MLS. And instead of MLS changing to FIFA's calendar...why not muscle up to FIFA and get them to recognize the MLS Calendar and allow the summer transfer period to start sooner (around the middle of MLS). Starting the season earlier would allow MLS to pull some talent from disappointing teams elsewhere. This could cause the shift that a lot the MLS Brass would like to see.

(IMO switching to align with FIFA's calendar puts MLS in FAR too saturated a situation....maybe if MLS started pulling decent ratings and could compete with NCAA Football/basketball, NFL, NASCAR, NBA, NHL, end of MLB)

13. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope MLS puts a bunch of Chicago Fire players on the roster vs Real Madrid.

Hopefully that'll cut down on the whining and complaining from Fire fans and their front office about how it's so unfair that a 1st place team had no players selected for the MLS All-Star game vs Fulham.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    August 23rd is a Tuesday.

16. Guavaguy

Guavaguy Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Gotham
    It is simply extraordinary that MLS has agreed to this in mid-season, and in the home stretch no less. Presumably, in order to make a respectable showing, the players would have to train together for a week or so before flying over. At the very least, MLS teams would lose their best players, yet again, for one match.

While I'm all for raising the profile of MLS overseas, I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I'm wondering if anyone in Madrid will care enough to show up to the game, and I wonder if RM will field their best players for this one.

Nor do I know why RM would agree to something like this. Maybe they're just trying to makeup for their last-minute all-star game cancellation last year. Maybe they want the opportunity to scout out MLS's best players to see if they can poach any bargains. Or maybe they were just so utterly dazzled by their recent experience in the US that they're as interested in a relationship withe MLS as MLS is with them (right).

OR, maybe the rumblings we've been hearing from time to time about vague "relationships" with RM are really true and coming to fruition...

17. Unstoppable Fire 13

Unstoppable Fire 13 New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago

If you actually pay attention to the boards, you'd realize that most Fire fans don't care that we have no all-stars, and actually consider it a good thing because we have no real standout stars and also gives our guys more rest. Have fun taking six of your shltheads to Spain. :D

18. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to say that I'm actually in agreement with Guavaguy on this one. I love it when MLS teams play friendlies against big clubs, but this is ridiculous. It's at this time of the year that the teams are going to be needing their top players to push for playoff spots and furthermore we still won't be out of the clear in regards to World Cup qualifying.

We already got Real Madrid, and AC Milan, Chelsea, and Fulham will all be here next week. We've proved our point now...so can we move on? We have some MLS to play and we really need to get our star players back.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Invitation is nice, but I'd just assume have MLS decline: too many important fixtures (both MLS and international) around that date.

20. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly believe that Real Madrid is very interested in putting a team in MLS. I personally don't have a problem with our MLS players going over to Madrid to play in the Bernabeu, although I certainly can't argue with people who do have a problem with it. Yes there will be key players missing during the stretch run, but we have to think long term here. If Real is serious about forming a true partnership with our league then I'm all for it. Its only for a game so I don't think its that big a deal.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    US Open Cup Quarterfinals on August 24th

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO!!!!!

I can't believe they're doing this.

Oh well, guess the Revs should just forfeit the Open Cup match on the 3rd. Even if they were to beat the Fire, they'd be playing the Mutts/Rhinos with their 5 best players missing.

Yeah ... this is a great idea. :mad:

23. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Maybe instead of sending the actual MLS all-stars, the league could send the players who would normally come off the bench for their clubs when the actual all-stars are missing.

From the Revs we could send along Andy Dorman, Khano Smith, Doug Warren, Connally Edozien, etc. That way the level of play in MLS wouldn't suffer.

And in a way, MLS would show that it's on equal footing with the world's great teams, not by proving it on the field, but rather by having the brass to snub them in deference to their own league. :D

Sounds like a plan. What do you think?

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If the game is on Tuesday, the Saturday MLS games can go on as scheduled with the All-Star team flying out to Europe on Sunday, arriving in Madrid Monday morning, playing Tuesday night and then flying back immediately after the game.

This is no big deal. The UEFA Champions League has a similar schedule.